Topics

Whither -- or Wither? Seriously....

Lars Hanson

To ask, or not to ask, that is the question:

Whether tis nobler on the list to suffer

The slings and arrows of outragèd Gary

Or to take action against a growing apathy

And by opposing end them?  To cease, to stop –

No more – and by a stop to say we end

The efforts and the thousand notional puns

The list is heir to:  ‘tis a dissolution

Devoutly to be wished.  To cease, to stop,

To stop, perchance to reap:  ay, there’s the rub!

For in that death of riddles what might one reap

When fearless leader finds them gone

Must give us pause:  that’s the aspect

That makes calamity of so long a life,

For who would bear the whips and scorns of list,

The leader’s wrath, the disappointed players,

The loss of riddle sets, the game’s decay,

The absence of guesses and loss of riddle turns

The patient cluing of unworthy takes,

When riddler might his answers make

By simply ceasing?  Who would these burdens bear

By sweat of brow -- the riddler’s weary

But the force of custom weighs upon us all.

    But seriously, a question ....

    This week's Rogue Riddle will mark just under 19.6 years of Rogue Riddles. That's quite a long history.  In fact, there have been over twenty years of riddling on the PUNY list.  Before the Rogue Riddles began, several players among us played with a riddle chain, off-list but similar to what eventually evolved into the Rogue Riddles.

    Lately, however, participation has declined noticeably.  The usual suspects are guessing less and less, and desultorily at best.   Kirk Miller and I have produced the last several riddles alternately between us, with few players competing each time.  As a result, Kirk and I have discussed the fact that it appears the Rogue Riddles may have seen their day and it now is time to stop.

    What is the sense of those on the list about discontinuing the Rogue Riddles after this weekend's  Rogue Riddle #1022 has been played?

=================================

One Sagan

Whatever you decide to do is fine with me. I used to be an avid participant once upon a time, but no longer.
After your soliloquy you do realize that somebody here is going to say, "Get thee to a punnery." But I won't say it.

Here I am One Sagan

On Thursday, April 30, 2020, 05:22:10 PM UTC, Lars Hanson <parkersan2001@...> wrote:

[...]

Riddles have been fun, but interest has run out.

When I was trying to decide how to construct Riddle 1021, I reviewed my prior Riddles to see which ones had the greatest participation, and I patterned Riddle 1021 after them. And I added clues at the very beginning, thinking that making the Riddle easier would get more people involved. Alas, participation was pitiful. Apparently people simply are not interested in the Riddle anymore.

Since we have had abysmal participation in the Riddle for a while, I think that it may be time to end it. I will not host any more riddles.

Kirk Miller
Don't settle for the world as it is.  Work for the world as it should be.

[...]

One Sagan,

   So, why the change?  Did you get bored with the riddles?  More interested in other things?

    And yes, I shall get me to as punnery with trumpets — a toot suite, if you will.

On Apr 30, 2020, at 18:33, One Sagan via groups.io <one_sagan@...> wrote:

[...]

doug

I'm with Kirk and tend to agree
The riddles aren't what they used to be
But instead of end
Why not suspend...
Just don't pull the Rogue out from under me!

Doug
==================

--
Doug Spector

bill crider

I participated regularly for several years, but have not so much recently. So I am one of those to blame for the decline.
In my case, there are several factors Primarily, my weekends got much busier than they used to be. For the last few years I have been rehabbing houses on the weekends and it takes up all my time. When I get home I am too tired to riddle. Guess I'm getting old.
But a second factor was that i think the style of the riddles changed a lot. Each of us has a style we like. Personally, Kirk's is my favorite style, followed closely by Gary H. I  grok their mindset and get their puns instinctively. I have a harder time with grasping what other folks they are going for. That is not a criticism of them, it is just that I am not on the same wavelength or something.
Some of the other folks that dropped off also had a similar style or mindset.
I used to participate in the F-riddles also, and of course those also faded away. Sigh. Remember back in the good old days, kiddos?
Everything has its season.
billcrider

On Thu, Apr 30, 2020 at 12:18 PM Lars Hanson <parkersan2001@...> wrote:

[...]

Not sure. Maybe some of the following as well as other reasons.
Sometimes I have no clue as to the answers.
Sometimes I find them to be a bit contrived.
Sometimes I forget to look at them.

Here I am One Sagan

On Thursday, April 30, 2020, 10:47:10 PM UTC, Lars Hanson <parkersan2001@...> wrote:

[...]

Lee Jackson

Perhaps a new style of game is called for ...?

On 4/30/2020 12:18 PM, Lars Hanson wrote:

[...]

portagecreek

Perhaps the issue is that the Rogue Riddle has morphed into another style of game already. The form of the word games being presently played  would not have attracted me almost a thousand riddles ago and unfortunately they do not now either. They lack the teasing appeal of a riddle and apparently very few others are interested in the current games either.

The "rogues" have gone thru dry periods before with the game tossed back and forth between just a few players. None of us were constantly trying to kill the game at that time. I would appreciate a few people that are stimulated by the challenge of creating and solving a riddle involving PUNS, but frankly, this was Gary's game and we were all just accomplices. I will follow where he goes on this, and if he initiates a rebirth or denies the death here or anywhere - I'm in.

I will hold my congratulations Lars, on getting away with the murder of the rogue for just a bit.

What is the killing of having riddles beyond tomorrows word game?
Lets see could that be Murder in the More Rogue?

Gary Reeves

[...]

Lee Jackson, PUNY group Administrangler
Visit the PUNY and O. Henry Museum Web Sites!
http://punpunpun.com | http://www.austintexas.gov/department/o-henry-museum
https://www.facebook.com/groups/punoff/ | https://www.facebook.com/PUNYPAGE/ | https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O._Henry_Pun-Off

Lars Hanson

Gary,

    A curious comment at the end.  I have used the same style of riddle since the riddle chains which preceded the Rogue Riddles.  (I have a record of the riddles back through a considerable number of them.). Not only that, looking at other riddles, there appear to be pretty much the the same styles over the years.  Perhaps it is we who have changed . . . .

    So far or Learless Feeder has neither weighed nor waded in, so we’re still waitin’.