Topics

#ROGUERIDDLE 1015 (Bingo & reveal) #RogueRiddle

gary hallock

This game seems to have played out about as fast as our president had predicted the COVID-19 virus miraculously would. The initial influx of guessers taxed our resources and very nearly overwhelmed our response team, but the panic has now died down and the inflection rate has dropped to a dribble. A clear winner has emerged and we can now move out of shelf quarantine to assess and rapier the damage. What am I going to do with all this left over toilet paper?

Players/kills this week were as fellows…

2 kills One Sagan (Alex Ramirez)
4 kills Gary Reeves
5 kills Erika Ettin
6 kills Cynthia MacGregor
6 kills Bill Crider
10 kills Lars Hanson

Lars has claimed the game and will post his own version of RR #1016 this next weekend. I have filled in my required answers between the riddles below.

Thank you all for playing,
Gary Hallock - Leerless Feeder

==========
As I have set no specific deadline for this game, the field is still wide open. We have about 6 players out in this field, but none of our Catchers are yet in the Rye.
I don’t think I will have time today to post public clues, but anyone who submits private guesses, receives personal responses and a wealth of private hints.
My top contender at the moment has only driven home 6 correct titles, so it’s still anyone’s game. Anyone game?

Gary Hallock

===========

ROGUE RIDDLE #1015 - Launched March 15, 2020 @ noon central

&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$

+++++ NOVEL VIRUSES - A DIRTY DOZEN +++++

Below you will find a list of 12 burning questions on the cross topic theme of DISEASES & LITERATURE. The required answers on each of these will be puns based on well-known fiction titles. In some cases there are multiple authors referenced, so watch out for red herrings. Also, I believe at least one of these target titles is not an actual book title, but a series or collection, but that shouldn’t be too difficult to work around.

In order to qualify for the kill, please submit both your punned title and the original (target) title. Also, please send me a complete cumulative worksheet with each subsequent submission as it will make my task of tallying far easier.

First player to nail all twelve (or most) wins the honor of hosting next week’s game.

&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$&$

0. (Simple sample)
Imbibing an excessive amount of Mexican alcohol could be the reason the avian flew.
#### TEQUILA MOCKINGBIRD / TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD

1.
I kid you not! This cautionary tale seems to celebrate the supremacy of the new strain of Coronavirus, giving the COVID-19 strain the prestigious title, “BLANK.”
#### LORD OF THE FLUS / LORD OF THE FLIES

2.
This title of this fantasy series seems to Lewis-ly suggest that lions & witches in this imaginary land are sequelly vulnerable to repeated re-infections.
#### CHRONIC ILLS OF NARNIA / CHRONICLES OF NARNIA

3.
Being in a “high risk” demographic, it’s not surprising that this superannuated fisherman would fall victim to a severe medical ailment.
#### OLD MAN AND DISEASE / OLD MAN AND THE SEA

4.
Another well known fisherman apparently suffered from chronic erectile dysfunction, as he was clearly plagued by a “BLANK.”
#### MOPEY DICK / MOBY DICK

5.
If you think COVID-19 is difficult to escape, just wait a few years until the next numbered flu variant arrives. You won’t be able to avoid it. Come Heller high water, we’re all going to “BLANK.”
#### CATCH 22 / CATCH 22

6.
This itchy skin condition can easily be contracted by spending too long in the steam room. The book about it is called, “BLANK.”
#### THE SAUNA PSORIASIS / THE SUN ALSO RISES

7.
The title of this novel should scare the Dickens out of everyone, as it conjures up the image of congested citizens coughing up gobs of phlegm and spitting it into public sewer drains.
#### GRATE EXPECTORATIONS / GREAT EXPECTATIONS

8.
A corporation has been set up to facilitate the clyster colon cleansing business. In the industry a company such as this is euphemistically known as an “BLANK.”
#### ENEMA FIRM / ANIMAL FARM

9.
If Portnoy had been complaining about the author’s medical condition, perhaps this Steinbeck title might have been more appropriate for his book.
#### THE GRIPES OF ROTH / THE GRAPES OF WRATH

10.
Set in the not-too-distant future, this sci-fi tale speculates that COVID-19 virus has mutated to become far more deadly and has now even spread to other worlds. The title seems to offer a warning to would-be visitors to the red planet. The “BLANK”
#### THE MARTIAN CORONA KILLS

11.
You’ve probably all heard of Finnegan’s Wake, but what ailment was it that that actually did him in? In the title of his famous earlier book, a different author seems to suggest that it may have been chronic coffin that put Finnegan in the ground, as he appeared to predict it with this reMark, “That ‘BLANK’”
#### HACK’LL BURY FINN / HUCKLEBERRY FINN

12.
Amid all the absurd rumors and jokes, there’s a certain brand of beer that has suffered greatly lately. One overstocked bartender started suggesting to patrons that they might enjoy a cold one at a deep discount. Russian to judgement, one confused customer turned him down thus, “...any BLANK?’ Nah.”
#### ...any CORONA? Nah! / ANNA KARENINA

Kirk Miller

Gary,

I submitted my initial guesses and you awarded me 2 bingos and 3 partials.
I submitted more guesses, but received no reply.
I followed up by asking you about my second round of guesses, but received no reply.
Why?

Kirk Miller
Live Aloha!