From: Lars Hanson <parkersan2001@...>
To: PUNY <main@puny.groups.io>
Sent: Sun, May 3, 2020 1:49 pm
Subject: [puny] Rogue Riddle Demise?

All,

    There seems to be some sort of misapprehension her about my and Kirk's statement on the Rogue Riddles.

    Neither Kirk nor I have any particular desire to see the Rogue Riddles end.  Nor have we any particular desire to kill off the Rogue Riddles.  If anything, it is the general lack of participation in the riddles which is killing them off.

    However, given the past several weeks during which Kirk and I simply traded Rogue Riddle sets with little or no participation by anyone else, and perfunctory other participation at best, it seemed yo us the game was dead.  Our conclusion that perhaps the Rogue Riddles have seen their day was based upon that lack of participation, and was not the result of any sinister motivations on our parts.

    It takes time and effort to create and then administrate a Rogue Riddle series.  The more interesting and intriguing the riddles are, the more time and effort is required.  That time and effort is rewarded by the responses from the players.  No responses, no reward.  Quite frankly, if only one other person really is into the game, then it seems the game is dead. Hence our notes here.

    If someone wants to continue the game, that's perfectly fine with me (and, I suspect, with Kirk).  I have enjoyed and been an avid participant in the riddles since they began as an off-list Riddle Chain over twenty years ago.  If others want to see the Rogue Riddles continue, then the best remedy is to participate.

=================================

--
Doug Spector

Ray Maynard

I'll just offer this as an independent opinion from one clearly not one of the elites in this group. For me, the Rogue Riddles are simply way over my head. I looked at the first few of them that I saw and quickly concluded that "these guys are in the stratosphere somewhere." I simply don't get them, so I don't participate. I enjoy puns. That's why I'm a member of the group, but the riddles are just way beyond my comprehension level. Perhaps that's the real reason for the lack of participation, or at least part of it.

Ray Maynard
ray@...

On 5/3/2020 12:04, doug via groups.io wrote:
what about offering a small prize to each week's winner, like a $5 gift card to Starbucks (I send these all the time via email for my business)

[...]

doug

I'm with Ray. Sometimes, I maynard understand the riddles that seem to be coming from another atmosphere...I guess we're on the wrong plane

Doug S.

[...]

punpunpun

as a lurker in the main, I must agree that the
Rogues have been too difficult to spend more than a ‘quick’ look to see if they deserve more than that. I love word play but lotsa times I don’t “get it”.
So the Rogue gets a quick glance and then on to the next. (Whatever)
So, my thoughts, are to make Rogues easier to solve or follow and to carry on with doing stuff to keep us together/united.
Norman

On May 4, 2020, at 2:09 AM, Ray Maynard <ray@...> wrote:

[...]

Marilyn Van Driesen

I am there with Norman and Maynard.  I love puns and limericks, but the riddles are far beyond me. Marilyn

On Monday, May 4, 2020, 09:25:16 AM CDT, punpunpun <punpunpun@...> wrote:

[...]

Bill Vietti

I agree with Ray Maynard's comments. I must admit that I joined the "Limerick and Haiku" group because I like limericks. I'm not much interested in puns at all. And thus the riddles are just way too hard for my non-punning mind. I am totally impressed with the riddles and the work that must go into creating the games, but I have no interest in working through them. I enjoy Kirk's daily limericks and am blown away by his ability to transform the similes and phrases that he comes up with each day and put them into a limerick that makes sense. I wish more folks would post and/or reply to limericks on that group. But alas there are so many diversions these days and ways to focus our attention, I can see why there are more important and interesting places to place our emphasis each day. Best of luck with whatever direction you all take.  Bill V

Lars Hanson

Bill,

    Of course only some are interested in solving puzzles.  It is hardly an amusing engagement for all.  No surprises there.

    As one who loves crossword puzzles, logic puzzles, sudoku, ken ken, Two Not Touch, Brain Ticklers, and other such intellectual; challenges, riddles appeal.

    You are quite correct about Kirk Miller's exceptional talent for limericks.  One of the earliest members of that group, he has been the most prolific contributor by far.  The list was founded to draw a spate of doggerel from the PUNY list back in 1999.  The founding intent was to include limericks, haiku, and tanka poetry (haiku are a subset of Japanese tanka poetry).  For several years, CynMac was the most prolific haiku contributor to the list.

=================================

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 12:19 PM Bill Vietti via groups.io <eyesbydrvie-1=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I agree with Ray Maynard's comments. I must admit that I joined the "Limerick and Haiku" group because I like limericks. I'm not much interested in puns at all. And thus the riddles are just way too hard for my non-punning mind. I am totally impressed with the riddles and the work that must go into creating the games, but I have no interest in working through them. I enjoy Kirk's daily limericks and am blown away by his ability to transform the similes and phrases that he comes up with each day and put them into a limerick that makes sense. I wish more folks would post and/or reply to limericks on that group. But alas there are so many diversions these days and ways to focus our attention, I can see why there are more important and interesting places to place our emphasis each day. Best of luck with whatever direction you all take.  Bill V

bill crider

Perhaps making the riddles a bit easier or giving clearer clues would help. No offense meant here Lars, but i find your “crossword puzzle style” clues impenetrable.  That is not a criticism of you - they just don’t trigger whatever my mind needs to solve the puzzles. Word counts don’t really help either. Concepts or context are what i need.
Bill Crider

On May 4, 2020, at 9:08 AM, doug via groups.io <doug10101@...> wrote:

[...]

    Actually, the art-ups have been carefully worded to provide the context.  In many cases the definition of the answer is included in the setup.  In most cases,  reading the setup will provide the needed clues.  Concepts and content also are to be found in most setups.  The most successful approach is to use all of the information provided in the setup.

    Nor do I use "crossword-style" clues.  Anything but!  :-D

    Many, myself included, have found letter counts (which also provide word counts) useful.  Some obviously do not.

    Yet again, it appears that a graduated approach really is going to be required.  Not all people on PUNY are of equal problem-solving ability, as is to ne expected.  Make themes simple enough for all to solve readily, and some will find the riddles too simple.  Make therm kore complex, and many, if not most, will find them too daunting.  So why not run, say, three levels of riddles?  There would be one for beginners, one for intermediates, and one for the more experienced.

=================================

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 1:41 PM Bill Crider <bill.crider@...> wrote:
[...]

Reading all these threads is a screaming cry for the return of the F-Riddles and to give the Rogues their proper burial

Doug

[...]

James Ertner

I concur with Doug on the F-Riddles. They were quick and a lot of fun.

Jim
===============

=================
[...]

Can we try one that will seem too simple to the pros?  We can at least work on them then, even if the speedy ones submit there's first.

Marilyn

On Monday, May 4, 2020, 12:58:42 PM CDT, Lars Hanson <parkersan2001@...> wrote:

[...]

what's the number count of active members here?

Doug

[...]

Doug,

    Currently 209 members, it looks like.

On Mon, May 4, 2020 at 6:18 PM doug via groups.io <doug10101=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

wow...that's a whole lot more than I thought....did we merge with another group?  With 209, if we use the 10% rule, we should be getting 29 participants (if we can find the right riddle formula)

[...]

why has Gary been so silent...sad cause that was his baby?