Topics

Rogue Riddle 1055 revelation

portagecreek

All,

Gregg made quick work of this week's rogue atarting out by easily translating my worksheet into on of the more well known songs from a comic opera of about 150 years ago. Next he did a little version a fore head slap when he suddenly realized that the name of the Gilbert and Sullivan classic was the answer to the little shaggy story too.

Thanks to all who played along and congratulations to Gregg for his quick bingo.

So, the first solution are the first and last lines of this song which is now 'stuck in my head"

The lyrics are:

I am the very model of a modern Major-General,
I've information vegetable, animal, and mineral,
I know the kings of England, and I quote the fights historical
From Marathon to Waterloo, in order categorical;
I'm very well acquainted, too, with matters mathematical,
I understand equations, both the simple and quadratical,
About binomial theorem, I'm teeming with a lot o' news,
With many cheerful facts about the square of the hypotenuse.

I'm very good at integral and differential calculus;
I know the scientific names of beings animalculous:
In short, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral,
I am the very model of a modern Major-General.

I know our mythic history, King Arthur's and Sir Caradoc's;
I answer hard acrostics, I've a pretty taste for paradox,
I quote in elegiacs all the crimes of Heliogabalus,
In conics I can floor peculiarities parabolous;
I can tell undoubted Raphaels from Gerard Dows and Zoffanies,
I know the croaking chorus from The Frogs of Aristophanes!
Then I can hum a fugue of which I've heard the music's din afore,
And whistle all the airs from that infernal nonsense Pinafore.

Then I can write a washing bill in Babylonic cuneiform,
And tell you ev'ry detail of Caractacus's uniform:
In short, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral,
I am the very model of a modern Major-General.

In fact, when I know what is meant by "mamelon" and "ravelin",
When I can tell at sight a Mauser rifle from a Javelin,
When such affairs as sorties and surprises I'm more wary at,
And when I know precisely what is meant by "commissariat"
When I have learnt what progress has been made in modern gunnery,
When I know more of tactics than a novice in a nunnery
In short, when I've a smattering of elemental strategy
You'll say a better Major-General has never sat a gee.

For my military knowledge, though I'm plucky and adventury,
Has only been brought down to the beginning of the century;
But still, in matters vegetable, animal, and mineral,
I am the very model of a modern Major-General.

and it was from The Pirates of Penzance. ( Pyre rats of Penn's Aunts - according to the contrived clues.

and here again is the riddle;

Please send guesses to gypsywagon@mindspring.com

RR #1055

This "traditional" rogue riddle is divided in two parts. The player solving both first or the most by 6:00 PM EST on the 31st has the opportunity to host the first rogue of the new year. A "throw back" riddle is a contrived pun on a phrase, slogan, song, quote ----etc.

The theme of this rogue is broadly "entertainment".

First Act. ( Just put together the clues in the setup to create a punned solution including the puns and the straight line for the bingo)

The great plague of London has been blamed on fleas from rodents. Two Quaker sisters angered the authorities of the time by ignoring the severe quarantine and caring for the ill and starving. They even attempted to provide some dignity in death by providing for mass cremations in temporary wooden structures that were burned as part of the funerals.

The long tailed rodents tended to infest these wood piles and were also consumed in the fire along with their fleas. ( unfortunately so was much of London). Religious and political leaders of the time persecuted and procecuted the two sisters for these services eventually leading their nephew to petition the king for land in the woods of the new American colonies to allow the Quakers to flee and live in freedom.

So - that's the set up. I am looking for a descriptive name of the vermin. The straight line is three words. The contrived name is punned in five words. Every guess gets a clue.

Act 2. This is a work sheet construction of an associated riddle . This timeI provide my attempts to put together words that could be used to provide a pun. The sublject is still "entertainment'. My potential puns for the straight words are in (CAPS).

(SIAM) the (FAIRLY, FURRY, FIREY) ( MOTEL, MODUAL, MODAL, MOTTLED)
(SOFA) (MAYOR, MEAGER) (GENITAL, GENERATOR, GERITOL, GIN IS REAL).

Normally I would take these words and try to buid a shaggy dog to present a set up for the riddle.

To solve the second part of this rogue please use my worksheet words to create a line associated with the first act. Hint, it is often used as a parody.

Once again, please provide the solution to both acts for the win.

Please send your answers to gypsywagon@mindspring.com

The other Gary