Topics

ROGUE RIDDLE 1049 - UPDATE

Adam Engel

Hello ladies and gents,

It's been a quiet first day, with only one guess in so far. Props to Marilyn for tossing her hat in the ring. A couple general hints: All of these puns are COUNTRY AND NATIONALITY THEMED. Having been on the road while writing them, it seemed only fitting :-)

To guess correctly, please fill in the BLANK with one or more words. There is two homophones and one spoonerism this week. The rest are puns.

Word counts for the first three below:

  1. When my Brussels wouldn’t sprout, botanists suggested I go to the BLANK to get help with BLANK.
    (6 6, 11)
  2. What’s the difference between a Scandinavian stream and a Round Up-laced garden whacker? One is a BLANK, the other is a BLANK.
    (5 5, 4 7)

  3. When an African nation was accused of tampering with Florida’s election results, certain commentators called for the death of all its citizens. Death by BLANK.
    (7 4)

  4. In the early days of the Third Reich, propagandists were still deciding on the ideals of the so-called master race. Hitler proposed male endowment as a criterion. Goebbels countered that the Germans would soon be outnumbered by BLANK. (4 5 / 10)

  5. Nick Europe adapted the pre-teen explorer show to focus more on her pet monkey. Setting the show south of France, they renamed it “Boots BLANK”.
    (3 4 / 7)

  6. The bazaar in Kabul has a variety of wares for sale, but shawls and throws are its primary profit generators. Turns out there’s always money in the BLANK.

  7. The last time I rented a boat in Bucharest, I was thrown in jail for paddling my way across a pond… and a parking lot… and a mini-mall… The therapist diagnosed me with BLANK.

  8. Out of necessity, many island nations are taking the lead in opposition to climate change. One island even banned the ICE (internal combustion engine) because they are BLANK.

  9. The Jamaican football team landed in Ulaanbaatar for a friendly match. At the stadium, one defender looks downfield and says to himself, “Look at that BLANK”.

  10. My father loved his gefilte fish with Ram’s horseradish, but not me. I prefer mine with BLANK.

  11. Do you know how dangerous shopping centers can be?! Last time I went shopping in eastern Africa, I tripped over myself in a Sears and got a BLANK!

  12. The traffic can be brutal, too. That’s why I avoid the direct route through the mall and take a BLANK whenever I can. (NOTE: This is directly related to #11)

  13. Tasked with making a short film for her class, Sasha dramatized the story of a pirate ship takeover in east Africa. Her father’s initial response was puzzling. “This is your sister’s work, isn’t it? That’s BLANK”

  14. On Passover each year, the city’s inhabitants came together to sang, “There can be miracles when you BLANK”

  15. This island has the audacity to claim for itself an entire porpoise species. They’re like a Spanish toddler loudly proclaiming “BLANK”.

Reminder: Be sure your replies are directed to adotengel@... lest you do what I do and spam the group. Rookie mistake.

Cheers,
Adam
--
Adam Even Engel, M.A.T.
Lab2Class Fellow

"Science is organized knowledge. Wisdom is organized life."
-Immanuel Kant