Topics

Rogue Riddle 1046 -- Clue Set 4 -- #Rogue Riddle #rogue

Lars Hanson

All,

    There has been a flurry of activity this evening.  Lila now has jumped in with 7 clean kills and a partial.  Meanwhile Adam, Jim and Gregg have been adding to their scores. The current standings are:

Adam (70%) –14 kills (1, 2, 5-14, 17, 20)

Gregg (67.50%) – 13 kills (1, 2, 5, 6, 8, 20) plus one partials (6)

Jim (40%) -- 7 kills  (12-14, 16) plus two partials (1, 5)

Lila (37.5%) – 7 kills (2, 3, 9, 11-14) plus one partial (5)

    The current riddle status is as follows:

4 correct – 4:  9, 11, 12, 13

3 correct – 3:   2, 5, 14

2 correct – 7:   1, 3, 8, 10, 15, 16, 20

1 correct – 3:   6, 7, 17

0 correct – 3:  4, 18, 19

No guesses –1:  4

Hint:

  • Not all cities referred to are in the United States, but almost all are well known.  (#19 may not be as well known, to be spacific.)

     In an effort to stir some activity, herewith another set of clues.

Clue Set #1:  Letter counts for the first five riddles are provided below.

Clue Set #2:  Letter counts for the second five riddles are provided below.

Clue Set #3:  Letter counts for the third five riddles are provided below.

Clue Set #4:  Letter counts for the last five riddles are provided below.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Rogue Riddle #1046
Yet Another Potpourri

    A hodge-podge of riddles this week.  A bit of something for everyone.

    As usual, this week’s Rogue Riddle consists of twenty riddles.  Each riddle has two answers which sound similar.  Both answers are required for full credit.  (There are exceptions – riddles 7, 10, 11, 19, and 20 have one-word answers.) Most of these are very easy, but there are one or two “4.0 busters” in the mix.

   Example:

Q:  Though I may sound like something for an axle, actually I am a country.  What am I?

A:  GREECE / GREASE

    As always, effort has gone into the setup wording to provide necessary clues.  Please note the following:

  • Contrary to my usual practice, most riddles of the form “What is the difference between ...?” are not Spoonerisms, but homophones.  (But one or two Spoonerisms are included.)
  • The work BLANK may represent one or more words.  It is up to you, the solver, to determine how many words replace the BLANK.

     The riddle will until 5:00 p.m. EDT on Tuesday.  As usual, the first person to solve all the riddles will be declared the winner and will host Rogue Riddle 1047 next week.  If no one has solved all the riddles by 5:00 p.m. EDT on Tuesday, the one with the most correct answers will be declared the winner.

    Now, on to the riddles.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

1.  It sounds as though this fabric has become all the rage – it seems BLANK has BLANK.

      (6 / 6, 2)

2.  This Japanese city sounds like a spoonerism of another Japanese city.

3.  What beverage tasting place sounds like a ski lift?  One is a BLANK while the other is a BLANK.

      (3, 3 / 1-3)

4.  What might one deceptively call originators of oft-cited conspiracy theories?

      (2-3-4, 7 / 8, 7)

5.  This outerwear sounds like a small device for raising a car.

      (6 / 4-4)

6.  It sounds like the cause of (in)famous Chicago fire was Russian.

      (2’1, 3 / 6)

7.  Could these feminine cosmetic attachments be considered batting equipment?

      (4, 9)

8.  What is the difference between a section of Parliament and a widespread pest?

      One is the BLANK, while the other is the BLANK.

      (5, 2, 5 / 5, 2, 6)

9.  What city sounds like a heavy load for the laundress?

      (10 / 7, 3)

10.  What term might be applied to a poorly run democratic process?

        (8, 11)

11.  This clothing items sounds like a task for a grocery store employee.

        (8)

12.  What capital city sounds as though it is devoted exclusively to comedian Jack?

        (6 / 3, 5)

13.  For sure this peanut was attacked – after all, it was BLANK.

        (1, 6 / 9)

14.  What is the difference between this nation and one devoted to cravats?  One is BLANK, and the other might be called BLANK.

        (8 / 3, 4)

15.  This outerwear sounds like a Boston party valet.

        (5 / 6)

16.  Was this Midwest city named for small fruits?

        (11 / 4-6)

17.  What is the difference between this capital city and someone bringing a tin of soup?  One is BLANK and the other is a BLANK.

        (8 / 3, 6)

18.  What is the difference between this capital and a tattler?  One is BLANK and the other is a BLANK.

        (10 / 7, 3)

19.  Why might an inhabitant of this capital be confused with bees?  Both are BLANK.

        (5 / 5)

20.  This clothing item sounds more slippery.

        (7 / 7)

    As always, it would be great to see some new faces this week!

    Please remember to ensure your answers are directed to me.  You should be able just to hit “Reply” (thanks, Norm!),  but to be certain you may address all guesses, surmises, suppositions, estimates, conjectures, SWAG’s, stabs, pokes, and other such directly to me at:

parkersan2001@...

    To avoid public guesses (guesses posted to the PUNY list instead of guesses sent to the host), please ensure your guesses are addressed to me at the address above.