Rogue Riddle 1044 - Status and Clue Set 4 - #RogueRiddle
Gregg continues to whittle away at this week’s Rogue Riddle set, increasing his lead over Gary. The current standings are as follows:
The current standings are as follows:
The current riddle status is as follows:
The answers are all regular puns (homonyms, like daffynitions) with two Spoonerisms.
There are no oblique set-ups – each set-up provides the information for the answer (as one would expect for daffynitions).
The wording of the set-ups is selected quite specifically and carefully (as usual for my riddles) – paying attention to the information in the set-up pays off here.
Clue Set #1:
Letter counts for the first four unanswered riddles are provided.
Clue Set #2:
Letter counts for the remaining five unanswered riddles are provided.
Clue Set #3:
Letter counts for the six riddles which have only been answered once or twice are provided below.
Clue Set #4:
Letter counts for the remaining riddles plus clues for the five unanswered riddles are provided below.
Q: Though I may sound like something for an axle, actually I am a country. What am I?
A: GREECE / GREASE
1. A game of hurriedly written words.
(8 / 8)
2. A game in which sailors try to discover who tied a line to the corner of a sail.
(4 / 4)
3. A war game played with breath mints.
(7, 2 / 7, 2)
4. A towering game for toppling vociferous super-patriots.
(5 / 5)
5. A game of musical instruments sliding among the dimly illuminated areas.
(5, 3, 7 / 6, 3, 7)
6. A children’s’ game of clumsiness.
(6 / 2, 4)
7. A card game about male red deer.
(5 / 6)
8. A card game named for a strange donkey?
(3, 5 / 3, 5)
9. A game in which the players try to cover holes in fabric simply.
(5, 4 / 7 or 9)
10. The challenge here is to carry dinner on a tray without spilling any.
(4, 4 / 5, 6)
This French card game was a milestone of its own.
11. Collecting an artificial sweetener.
(7, 7 / 7, 7)
Stevia is involved in this chase, but not in the answer.
12. A game wrapped in a piece of Indian clothing.
(4 / 5)
13. A game to begin thinking about oneself.
(5, 3 / 8)
I spy a bomb being marshaled in this game of memory
14. A game of indelicacy.
(6 / 4)
15. A game to arrest a stoned criminal.
(3, 6 / 7)
A category of two-player games played with stones or beans placed in pits. What’s another slang term word for “nab” or “apprehend?” This one probably is the toughest of the lot.
16. A game of becoming a pop singer’s helpers through pantomimes.
(4, 5 / 8)
17. A game about a lousy massage.
(6, 3 / 8)
A Spoonerism on a tile-based game combining elements of rummy and mahjong.
18. A card game about neutered animals.
(7 / 6)
19. A card game in a metal tin.
(8 / 7)
20. A Danish island gambling card game.
(4 or 5 / 4)
As always, it would be great to see some new faces this week!
Please remember to ensure your answers are directed to me. You should be able just to hit “Reply” (thanks, Norm!), but to be certain you may address all guesses, surmises, suppositions, estimates, conjectures, SWAG’s, stabs, pokes, and other such directly to me at: