Topics

Rogue Riddle 1041 - Winner Declared and Answers Revealed

Lars Hanson

All,

    The winner this week is a new player, Gregg, with an impressive 17 clean kills (85%).  Quite a showing for a first-timer.  Gregg has agreed to host Rogue Riddle #1042 next week.

    The final standings are as follows:

Gregg (85%) – 14 kills (1-4, 6-14, 16-18, 20)

Erika (47.5%) – 9 kills (1-8, 18) plus a partial on 9

Gary H. (45%) -- 9 kills  (2, 3, 7, 8, 12-14, 18, 20

Jim (25%) -- 5 kills  (2, 7-9, 18)

Chris (15%) -- 3 kills (2, 4, 18)

    Gary R. and Marilyn checked in as well, but were on travel, and so did not play this week.

    The current riddle status is as follows:

5 correct – 2: 2, 18

4 correct – 3:  4, 7, 8

3 correct – 1:  3

2 correct – 7:  1, 6, 9, 12, 13, 14, 20

1 correct – 5:  5, 10, 11, 16, 17

0 correct – 2: 15, 16

No guesses – 2: 16, 19

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Rogue Riddle #1041
And Now for Something Different . . .

 Remember the riddles told to children?  This week’s riddles hark back to those days in form.

    As usual, this week’s Rogue Riddle consists of twenty riddles.  Each riddle has two answers which sound similar.  Both answers are required for full credit.  Most of these are very easy one-word answers, but there are one or two “4.0 busters” in the mix.

   Example:

Q:  Though I may sound like something for an axle, actually I am a country.  What am I?

A:  GREECE / GREASE

    As always, effort has gone into the setup wording to provide necessary clues.

    The riddle will run until 5:00 p.m. EDT on Tuesday.  As usual, the first person to solve all the riddles will be declared the winner.  If no one has solved all the riddles by 5:00 p.m. EDT on Wednesday, the one with the most correct answers will be declared the winner.

    Now, on to the riddles.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

1.    Though I may sound small, actually I am a joint which might be found in Bangkok.  What am I?

TINY / THAI KNEE

2.   Though I may sound hurried, actually I am a European?  What am I?

RUSHIN’ / RUSSIAN

3.     Though I may sound like a household appliance, actually I mean to salute a woman.   What is it I intend to do?

TOASTER / TOAST ‘ER or TOAST HER

4.     Though I may sound like something one might give to a Persian Longhair, actually I am a cemetery.  What am I?

CAT A COMB / CATACOMB

As in, “Give that long-haired cat a comb.”

5.     Though I may sound like a way to get the news, actually I am a cable service.  What am I?

PAPER VIEW / PAY-PER-VIEW

Erika was the only one to get this one, nailing it on her first round of guesses.

6.     Though I might sound like a modern sleeping area, actually I am a country.  What am I?

NEW Z-LAND / NEW ZEALAND

7.     Though I may sound saccharine, actually I am another European?  What am I?

SWEETISH / SWEDISH – also accepted SWEET / SWEDE

8.     Though I may sound like a neighborhood restaurant, actually I am a large city.  What am I?

DELI / DELHI

9.     Though I may sound like a fast food item, actually I am a bad German actor. What am I?

HAMBURGER / HAM BERGER or HAM BURGER or HAM BURGHER

10. To those who slur my national identity, I might sound like a sex workers wig.  Who am I?

AMERICAN / A MERKIN

Gregg was the only one to get this one.

11. Though I may sound like an automobile, actually I am an action figure inspired by the movies.  What am I?

TOYOTA / TOY YODA

Gregg was the only one to get this one.  I thought it might fall more quickly.

12. Though I may sound like an automobile, actually I am the absence of a box for storing tea.  What am I?

CADILLAC / CADDY LACK

13. Though I may sound like I did not enjoy myself last night, actually I just noted that I had a time to retire.  What did I say I had?

BAD TIME / BEDTIME

14. Though I may sound like a piece of furniture, actually I am a bovine by a Scottish river.  What am I?

TABLE / TAY BULL

15. Though I may sound like a lumberjack contest, actually I am a European city.  What am I?

BURLIN’ (burling) / BERLIN

This is the name I knew it by, but it does not appear when I search for it.

16. Though I may sound like a small mystic syllable, actually I am a breakfast food.  What am I?

OM-LET or OM-LETTE or OMLET / OMELET

Gregg was the only player to get this one.

17. Though it sounds as though something the poet Robbie Burns wrote about, actually I am an Asian country.  What am I?

LOUSE / LAOS

Gregg was the only player to get this one as well.

18. Though I may sound like kissing parts, actually I am flowers.  What am I?

TWO LIPS / TULIPS

19. Though I may sound like a former theft, actually I am a small candy.  What am I?

(4, 5 / 8)

PAST STEAL / PASTILLE.

20. Though I may sound like a prop weapon for a play, actually I am a military dictator .  What am I?

SHOW GUN / SHOGUN

    Thank you all for playing.

    Take it away next week with Rogue Riddle #1042, Gregg.

Lars Hanson

All,

One additional note -- BURLOING is what I knew the sport of logrolling to be called.   Several guessed SAW WAR / WARSAW.

On Tue, Sep 22, 2020 at 7:00 PM Lars Hanson <parkersan2001@...> wrote:

[...]

A:  GREECE / GREASE