no respect!

The Hallock Entity <c.hallock@...>

found at: (http://www.ece.utexas.edu/ece/people/profs/Hallock.html)

GARY A. HALLOCK

Dr. Hallock's research uses the TEXT Tokamak, and explores plasma
transport, fluctuations and turbulence, and advanced diagnostic
development. His group developed a far-infrared interferometer to obtain
time resolved, high resolution profiles of the plasma density. This
instrument is used in H-mode (high confinement), stability, and
divertor studies. They are also developing a phase contrast imaging
diagnostic to obtain spatially resolved turbulence measurements. Other
TEXT work includes plasma fueling and active feedback modeling, plasma
position control, and advanced Langmuir probe development. Dr. Hallock
has also done extensive heavy ion beam probe development. Results
include the first measured axial potentials in a high temperature tandem
mirror plasma, direct fluctuation induced particle flux measurements in
the interior of a tokamak plasma, and a comparison of Ohmic and neutral
beam heated tokamak electric fields with theory. Dr. Hallock's interests
include arcjet plasma propulsion and arcjet plasma effects on satellite
communications and spacecraft surfaces.
=======================================

I showed the above delicious description of my alter-ego to the family to
let them know just what sort of husband/father they MIGHT have ended up
with. I thought my 18 yr old computer prodigy son might be especially
impressed but he had to admit that the only word of it he understood was
"spacecraft." Of course my head is in the clouds nearly all the time but
that thing really does sort of sound like the typical "techno-babble" that
is routinely spoken on Star Trek, doesn't it? Do you suppose this guy is
professor of mathematics, physics, chemistry or what? I really haven't the
foggiest notion but I'll wager there isn't a punny bone in his body.
Perhaps our clever PUNY members should compose some limericks about him
using some of this jargon related to his work and he could appreciate it.

GARY (the other guy) HALLOCK

eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/puny

CynMacG@...

<<Perhaps our clever PUNY members should compose some limericks about him
using some of this jargon related to his work and he could appreciate it. >>

That sounds like a challenge for Lars.
The prospect just makes me see stars.
But his puncraft divine
So far exceeds mine . . . .
(Do pun-poems ever win Pulitzars?)

CYNful

eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/puny

Tiffany Wimberly <wimbo@...>

The Hallock Entity wrote:

Perhaps our clever PUNY members should compose some limericks about him
using some of this jargon related to his work and he could appreciate it.

GARY (the other guy) HALLOCK
I'm one Tokamak over the line
And my research is going just fine
Projecting high resolution of plasma
Is turning me into a spazz, Ma
But I dig studying beams of ion!

Tiff

eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/puny

Function Junction <funkusjunkus@...>

Dear Dr. Hallock,

I was somewhat appalled to read some of your findings. It is quite
apparent that simultaneous measurements of giant pulses from the Crab
pulsar were taken at two widely spaced frequencies using the real-time
detection of a giant pulse at 1.4 GHz at the Very Large Array to trigger
the observation of that same pulse at 0.6 GHz at a 25-m telescope in
Green Bank, WV. Interstellar dispersion of the signals provided the
necessary time to communicate the trigger across the country via the
Internet. About 70% of the pulses are seen at both 1.4 GHz and 0.6 GHz,
implying an emission mechanism bandwidth of at least 0.8 GHz at GHz for
pulse structure on time scales of one to ten microseconds.
The arrival times at both frequencies display a jitter of 100
microseconds within the window defined by the average main pulse profile
and are tightly correlated. This tight correlation places limits on both
the emission mechanism and on frequency dependent propagation within the
magnetosphere. At 1.4 GHz the giant pulses are resolved into several,
closely spaced components. Simultaneous observations at 1.4 GHz and 4.9
GHz show that the component splitting is frequency independent. We
conclude that the multiplicity of components is intrinsic to the
emission from the pulsar, and reject the hypothesis that this is the
result of multiple imaging as the signal propagates through the
perturbed thermal plasma in the surrounding nebula. At both 1.4 GHz and
0.6 GHz the pulses are characterized by a fast rise time and an
exponential decay time which are correlated. The pulse broadening with
its exponential decay form is most likely the result of multipath
propagation in intervening ionized gas.

Sincerely,

Dr. Kish N. Tuchess

eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/puny