Topics

Hints - Bilingual (Sort of) Rogue #1024

bill crider

Hints - Bilingual (Sort of) Rogue #1024

12/18 PM

Mise à Jour sur L'énigme Voyous

(French for “Update on Rogue Riddle” or maybe JarJar Binks saying “I’m sure Lenny’s a voyour”)

Three more entries today: Norman Puns ‘n Stuff and Marilyn Van Driesen each got several correct and were rewarded with substantial clues for their efforts. Diana Gruber, our favorite polyglot, polygot all of them on her first pass and gently informed me I “might have been a little ‘off’ linguistically” on some. Heck, I’m from Texas. I’ve been a little off linguistically my whole life!

Hints below in the Rogue Proper.

12/17 Late PM

Ponerse Al Dia

(Spanish for “Punners of the Day”, or maybe “Update”)

One Sagan, James Ertner, and Joseph Harris have joined the game, all with respectable showings. There is still plenty of room in this Juego de Palabras for more players. Or maybe you have a bilingual pun you would like to throw into the mix?

12/17 PM

Proof of Concept Provided

Lars is first out of the gate with a clean sweep of all seven puns solved perfectamente’ (which is Spanish for “these mints are perfect”).  However, he declines to host next week, so the honors are still available. But his solutions prove that the puns are solvable by persons other than moi (which is French for “a kiss on the cheek").

As Lars noted, some of these are très vieux (which is French “older than Gary Hallock”). True. Only three of them are original with me. But not all of us have been punning forever, so probably not everyone on the list has seen them. Or some of us may be old enough to have already forgotten them.

No hints yet. Enjoy! (Which is English for “I am an annoying waiter who can’t think of anything else to say when I bring your food.”)

Since Gary (Sort of) sprung Rogue 1024 on me, I am releasing it (Sort of) later than usual. It is also (Sort of) bilingual. The first four below mix up Spanish and English. The last three mix up French and English. The Spanish and French words are common enough that most folks should be able to get them easily, even if they never studied the language. The BLANK may contain one or more words, depending on whether you are giving the English or foreign (Spanish or French) answer. The pun may be on either be the English or foreign word(s).

The rogue will run till someone gets all seven, or until Tuesday evening.

Don’t reply all!

Send your guesses to bill.crider at gmail.com

Spanish

1.       The Mexican magician waved his wand, said ‘Uno, Dos,” and disappeared without a BLANK.

2.       Outside my window I had a vine-like bush with fragrant clusters of purple flowers. But it died. When I cut it down, I said “Hasta la BLANK, Baby.”

(The plant I am looking for has fragrant light purple clusters of flowers and is common in the southern US.)

3.       “Are you going to the country to see your mom?” “No, I am going to the city to BLANK”
(City is a clue. Contrast mom and what?)

4.       Did she kick her sister with her foot? No, she hit her brother with BLANK.
(Contrast foot with what? Contrast sister and brother in Spanish.)

French

1.       The waiter in Paris asked “Would you like two eggs in your omelette?”  I replied “One egg is BLANK.”
(… so two eggs are too many. Two French words in the BLANK. One word in the English BLANK.)

2.       There were three cats on the Titanic. Do you know what happened to them?  BLANK
(This is an old pun. All the French are counting on you to solve it.)

3.       I got a new lawn mower, so now I can BLANK.
(My wife told me I better go out there and blanc de blanc. Three French words.)

Don’t Reply All! Send guesses to bill.crider at gmail.com