are we definitely on egroups then?

eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/puny

CynMacG@...

In a message dated 2/4/99 5:43:00 PM, wimbo@... writes:

<<It came up with the list address.>>

For me 2

eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/puny

Larry Cotton <larrycotton@...>

Egad! We've all Egressed to Egroups!

Enough Emu's here to 'egat a punky forum.

I think I'm seeing why I normally just read here. :)

eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/puny

Lee Jackson <jacksonhome@...>

This is one final test of the eGroups setup. I would appreciate it if
everyone who sees this message would hit the Reply button on their reader
and make a note of the address that appears in the To: field of the new
message. Also, forward that address to me in your reply, please.

I think I've found the eGroups configuration switch that sets the list up
so that replies go to the list's address by default, rather than to the
person who posted the original message. If this is true, then I think I'm
going to recommend that we go with eGroups rather than with ONEList.

Please get back to me ASAP, so that I can make the final determination and
post the outcome tomorrow. Thanks!

eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/puny

Tiffany Wimberly <wimbo@...>

Lee Jackson wrote:

This is one final test of the eGroups setup. I would appreciate it if
everyone who sees this message would hit the Reply button on their reader
and make a note of the address that appears in the To: field of the new
message. Also, forward that address to me in your reply, please.
It came up with the list address.

Tiff

eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/puny

Lars Hanson <parkersan@...>

Lee,

The address showed up as puny@... this time.

The only drawback to egroups is the ads which appear to accompany each
message, but a single ad is tolerable. Multiple ads could get really old
very quickly, though.

Will egroups have these ads every time?

Will they be limited to just one, or will the number increase? (Some of
the subscription lists I am on are positively flooded with ads.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lars Hanson
parkersan@... <mailto:parkersan@...>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is one final test of the eGroups setup. I would appreciate it if
everyone who sees this message would hit the Reply button on their reader
and make a note of the address that appears in the To: field of the new
message. Also, forward that address to me in your reply, please.

I think I've found the eGroups configuration switch that sets the list up
so that replies go to the list's address by default, rather than to the
person who posted the original message. If this is true, then I think I'm
going to recommend that we go with eGroups rather than with ONEList.

Please get back to me ASAP, so that I can make the final determination and
post the outcome tomorrow. Thanks!

Fresh flowers are the perfect way to say "I love you".
Shipped direct from the grower, Proflowers.com has
arrangements from $29.95 plus S&H.
Click here: http://offers.egroups.com/click/216/0

eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/puny

eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/puny

The Hallock Entity <c.hallock@...>

Well I guess I'm the odd-man-out. My reply button behaves the same as
befroe and wants to reply only to the individual. I'm also not getting
anything on the subject line. I think it's a problem with my e-mail
program. I tried to send a message to this effect earlier but when I
addressed a cc to Onelist, it was kicked back because I apparently didn't
subscribe correctly. The wierd thing is that it also kicked back the
message that I attemped to send to Egroups and I know I'm subscribed there.
That original message appears below.

GARY H.

=================================

I disagree.

I think each of us should try responding to the alternate lists and
judge the mailings so we can advise Lee on which one to choose and what
changes to request. Leave your puns for the prodigy list and use the
others for just testing.

Alternate: Let Lee decide on his own and no one complain if there are
problems when the change is made.

Stan
=====================

I guess I don't have any problem with that attitude. Especially if you're
sending a cc to each list. Lee tells me that he tends to favor the Onelist
system because it is more easily tweaked.

For some reason I've been unable to do "auto reply" addressing on the
Prodigy list for ages. I seem to remember being able to acomplish that
trick sometime in the past. Am I remembering correctly?

Similarly when I reply to a message I always have to cut & paste the
subject line. This is more likely to be a problem with the preferences in
my own e-mail program but I can't seem to switch it back on. It's been a
real pain and I would be happy to have these features back.

I'm a little put-off by the advertising at the bottom of each message but
off the top of my head, I'd say that's a small price toupee. I just hope
everyone will take the trouble to delete all this extra fluff when they
cut & paste for a reply. Lee says we'll have made a decision by the
weekend. I guess I'm okay either way.

GARY HALLOCK

On Fri, 5 Feb 1999 05:26:27 +0600, you wrote:

Well I guess I'm the odd-man-out. My reply button behaves the same as
befroe and wants to reply only to the individual. I'm also not getting
anything on the subject line. I think it's a problem with my e-mail
program.
Yeah, are you still using that mutant Macintosh mail reader, or have you
joined the modern era yet?

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999 17:45:25 -0500, you wrote:

The address showed up as puny@... this time.
I received two replies from you - one addressed back to the list, and one
addressed directly to me. Did you hit the "reply to all" button on your
e-mail program? If so, just hit "reply" instead, as "reply to all" will
put both the group and the sender address in your new "to" field.

Will egroups have these ads every time?
Yes, and just one ad per message. ONEList's policies state that they are
supposed to have ads as well, but they haven't started using them yet.

IMHO, this says something about the success level of the service - eGroups
is either more successful at getting sponsors, has been around longer, or
is plugging their own stuff. I suspect a combination of the first two.
The lack of ads on ONEList says to me that either they're new or they can't
get sponsors. If I had to bet on who's going to be around longer, I'd be
leaning towards eGroups based on this info.

Will they be limited to just one, or will the number increase? (Some of
the subscription lists I am on are positively flooded with ads.)
The eGroups policy says just one. There's a "no ads" option, but it costs
$4.95 a month. Unless Gary can get some pork barrel sent in my direction,
I think we'll stick with the ads for now. <g>

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999 17:57:35 EST, you wrote:

are we definitely on egroups then?
Well, this message is. <g> Patience, patience. I'll make the official
announcement tomorrow.

BTW, has anyone received the poll message yet?

| Lee Jackson (puny-owner@...)
| P.U.N.Y. List Administrangler
| http://www.egroups.com/list/puny

eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/puny

Larry Cotton <larrycotton@...>

Seems to be working fine for me. I liked the vote feature
someone setup here. :)

I'll follow puny where ever it goes though.
Larry Cotton
larrycotton@...
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

This is one final test of the eGroups setup. I
would appreciate it if
everyone who sees this message would hit the
Reply button on their reader
and make a note of the address that appears in
the To: field of the new

eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/puny

Larry Cotton <larrycotton@...>

Yeah, are you still using that mutant Macintosh
mail reader, or have you
joined the modern era yet?
What's a Macintosh?

:)

Larry Cotton
larrycotton@...

eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/puny

Lars Hanson <parkersan@...>

Lee,

The address showed up as puny@... this time.
I received two replies from you - one addressed back to the list, and one
addressed directly to me. Did you hit the "reply to all" button on your
e-mail program? If so, just hit "reply" instead, as "reply to all" will
put both the group and the sender address in your new "to" field.

The second reply was my manual addition of your address to ensure you
saw my response.

Regret any confusion.

Will egroups have these ads every time?
Yes, and just one ad per message. ONEList's policies state that they are
supposed to have ads as well, but they haven't started using them yet.

IMHO, this says something about the success level of the service - eGroups
is either more successful at getting sponsors, has been around longer, or
is plugging their own stuff. I suspect a combination of the first two.
The lack of ads on ONEList says to me that either they're new or they can't
get sponsors. If I had to bet on who's going to be around longer, I'd be
leaning towards eGroups based on this info.

Will they be limited to just one, or will the number increase? (Some
of
the subscription lists I am on are positively flooded with ads.)
The eGroups policy says just one. There's a "no ads" option, but it costs
$4.95 a month. Unless Gary can get some pork barrel sent in my direction,
I think we'll stick with the ads for now. <g>

| Lee Jackson (puny-owner@...)
| P.U.N.Y. List Administrangler
| http://www.egroups.com/list/puny

Sticking with one ad per message sounds tolerable to me, certainly
better that $60 per year....

Thanks for taking this on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lars Hanson
parkersan@... <mailto:parkersan@...>
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Its a computer that doesnt crash on you on a daily basis.

Larry Cotton wrote:

Yeah, are you still using that mutant Macintosh
mail reader, or have you
joined the modern era yet?
What's a Macintosh?

:)

Larry Cotton
larrycotton@...

eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/puny
eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/puny

CynMacG@...

In a message dated 2/5/99 9:04:24 AM, wimbo@... writes:

<<Do you mean the poll on egroups? I did that yesterday and at that time
there was one for egroups and one for onelist. >>

Ditto for me.

Lee Jackson wrote:

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999 17:57:35 EST, you wrote:

are we definitely on egroups then?
Well, this message is. <g> Patience, patience. I'll make the official
announcement tomorrow.

BTW, has anyone received the poll message yet?

Do you mean the poll on egroups? I did that yesterday and at that time
there was one for egroups and one for onelist.

Tiff

eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/puny

Larry Cotton <larrycotton@...>

What's a Macintosh?
Its a computer that doesnt crash on you on a
daily basis.
Interesting concept. Someone should suggest this to Bill
Gates. I think what he was aiming for was to CASH in on us
on a daily basis.

Lee Jackson wrote:

On Thu, 4 Feb 1999 17:57:35 EST, you wrote:

are we definitely on egroups then?
Well, this message is. <g> Patience, patience. I'll make the official
announcement tomorrow.

BTW, has anyone received the poll message yet?

Do you mean the poll on egroups? I did that yesterday and at that time
there was one for egroups and one for onelist.

Tiff

Are we a pollin' nation or what? Hopefully no one is angry --
cross-pollination can bee ugly honey.

And, yes, I, too polled the lever, but there was only one site, with two
choices.

[...]

David Bunch <bunch_david@...>

This is my second try. My computer had a failure error while sending
the first. Hope they both make it through.

David Bunch