Topics

Rogue Riddle 1034 -- Winner Declared and Answers Revealed

Lars Hanson

All,

    There were 5 players this week:  Jim, Gary, Aaron, Marilyn, and Bill., in order of joining the game.  Very early on, Gary gained the lead with 13 clean kills and two partials.    Aaron seized second place with 11 kills and two partials.

The final standings were as follows:

Gary H – 13 correct + 2 partials (70%):  1, 3, 4, 9 – 17, 19, plus partials on 6 and 8

Aaron Fasel – 11 correct + 2 partials (60%):  1, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, 12, 13, 15, 17, 19, plus partials on 7 and 18

Bill Crider – 9 correct + 2 partials (50%):  1, 3, 4, 6, 12, 13, 14, 19, 20, plus partials on 15 and 18

Jim Ertner – 7 correct (35%): 1, 3, 4, 12, 13, 15, 19

Marilyn –-1 correct (5%):  12

    Gary will host Rogue Riddle #1035 next week.

    Final riddle stats (5 players):

5 correct –  1:   12

4 correct –  4:   1, 4, 13, 19

3 correct –  2:   3, 15

2 correct –  4:   6, 10, 14, 17,

1 correct – 7:   5, 8, 9, 11, 16, 18, 20

0 correct – 2:   2, 7

    Only two riddles remained unanswered:  #2, likely because of the length of the answer, and #7, the “4.0 buster,” because it was a bit esoteric.  Solving #2 required one using all the information in the set-up.  All the other riddles fell to at least one player, as the statistics show.

    I hope that you all enjoyed this week’s Rogue Riddle.

    The answers to the riddles are included below.  Instead of listing them after the riddle, I have embedded the answers within each riddle.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Rogue Riddle #1034

Another Potpourri

    This week’s Rogue Riddle consists of twenty riddles.  Each riddle has two answers which sound similar.  Both answers are required for full credit.   There are Spoonerism, homophones, and a few daffynitions thrown in for good measure. As an example of homophones:

Q: She decided that pennies, too, should have knurled edges.  Thus did BLANK   become the first person to BLANK.

A:  MILLICENT / MILL A CENT

    One “BLANK” is used for each answer, where needed. Note that the indicator BLANK may stand in for one or more words.  Also, note that the BLANK may be preceded by the article “a.”  This provides no indication of whether or not the word or words the BLANK replaces begins with a vowel or silent “h.”

    As always, effort has gone into the setup wording to provide necessary clues.

    The riddle will run until 5:00 p.m. EST on Tuesday.  As usual, the first person to solve all the riddles will be declared the winner.  If no one has solved all the riddles by 5:00 p.m. EST on Wednesday, the one with the most correct answers will be declared the winner.

Hint:  As always, be sure to read the set-ups carefully and try to use all the information contained in them.

    Now, on to the riddles.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

1.  They lived next to a church whose bells rang the time regularly, so they always knew the hours because the bells TOLLED / TOLD them.

2.  Whenever the inmates went out to work growing vegetables, there were men to watch over them to make sure none escaped.   They were GUARDIN’ THE PRISONERS in THE PRISONERS’ GARDEN.

3.  A-MAZED or AMAZED – Lost in a convoluted hedge.

4.  The Scotsman asked his pupil, “Laddie, dinna ye kin what they call that wee bit that sticks up on a sundial and casts a shadow?”  Quite naturally, the boy replied, “NO, MON / GNOMON.”

5.  In what is perhaps the most famous photograph of Marilyn Monroe, her skirt is lofted upward.  Could it be there was a BLOWER BELOW ‘ER?

6.  When Theodore and his husband moved into the development the residents were very happy.  They all thought that security had been enhanced now that they lived in a  GAY TED COMMUNITY / GATED COMMUNITY

7.  Down Under the language is quite different to elsewhere.  Many find listening to STRINE to be a STRAIN.  (The Aussies pronounce the two words almost identically.  “Strine” comes from the Aussie pronunciation of “Australian.”)

8.  What is the difference between a vitreous classic penny loafer and a particular Scotsman?  One is a GLASS WEEJUN and the other is a GLASWEGIAN.

9.  The song and dance about Mother Brown calls for a COCK KNEE or COCKED KNEE / COCKNEY, which sounds like a distinctive English dialect.

10.   What happens when reciting a collection of Walt Whitman’s poetry to a sad young lady?  One reads LEAVES OF GRASS, while there GRIEVES A LASS.

11.  What is the difference between a monster’s home and an arrow with no notch for the bowstring?  One is LOCH NESS, while the other is NOCKLESS.

12.  Why are Dutch flowers like what one kisses with?  Both are TULIPS / TWO LIPS.

13.   Why are ghosts so often drunk?  It’s because of all the BOOS / BOOZE.  (Another good guess was “spirits.”)

14.   He was a poor student, always arriving late to school.  The teacher naturally asked his parents. “What time does the SON RISE / SUN RISE?”

15.  What is the difference between a drapery support and solid bit of soured milk?  One is a CURTAIN ROD, while the other is a ROTTEN CURD.

16.  What is the difference between a diploma and an inexpensive pelt?  One is a SHEEPSKIN while the other is a CHEAP SKIN.

17.  What is the difference between a fellow lead actor and something to put under a glass?  One is a CO-STAR, while the other is a COASTER.

18.  There are just two major aircraft manufacturers, so when we are flying there are times when an AIRBUS will BEAR US from one place to the next.

19.  What is the difference between a pantomime game and something to help one blacken a surface by burning?  One is a CHARADE, while the other is a CHAR AID.

20.   ECONOMIST – A cheap fog.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

    It was great to see some new faces this week!

    Thank you all for playing!

    Take it away, Gary!

=================================

Marilyn L. Van Driesen

I have not gotten any emails since this one.  Should Rogue Riddle 1035 by posted somewhere?
--
Marilyn L.

Lars Hanson

Marilyn,

    I forwarded Rogue Riddle #1035 to you just 7 minutes after it was posted.  Did you not receive that forwarding?

    You might want to check your e-mail spam folders.

    It should be noted that one of your two e-mail addresses regularly rejects e-mails.

    You may want to check your registration at PUNY to see which email address is listed there.

    Finally, please note that I am copying Miss Elainey, another PUNY subgroup used for administrative issues, plus your own address on this e-mail.

    Just a thought or two....

On Aug 10, 2020, at 00:07, Marilyn L. Van Driesen <mvandriesen@...> wrote:

I have not gotten any emails since this one.  Should Rogue Riddle 1035 by posted somewhere?
--
Marilyn L.

Marilyn Van Driesen

Lars, I am in several other group.io list and moderate others, so I put them all mvandriesen@... to save confusion for myself, aging brain and all. EmojiEmojiEmoji  I've been so busy, and then our internet was gone for half a day so I am more behind than usual.

I 'think' I finished the first 3 of Gary's limericks and after that became befuddled.  Not having much time, I set it aside for a while.

Marilyn/Merk