Topics

Symbolic Pun

portagecreek

I recall Gary once wishing to construct puns using nothing but graphics. I think I have found one that uses nothing but symbols:

         £&

G Reeves

gary hallock

My son Andrew sometimes signs his name “&rew.” I am so proud!

Gary Hallock

=========

On Nov 20, 2019, at 9:59 AM, portagecreek <gypsywagon@...> wrote:

I recall Gary once wishing to construct puns using nothing but graphics. I think I have found one that uses nothing but symbols:

£&

G Reeves

£& would be better as a hybrid using a letter too.     £s&

G Reeves

My son Andrew sometimes signs his name “&rew.” I am so proud!

Gary Hallock

=========
On Nov 20, 2019, at 9:59 AM, portagecreek <gypsywagon@...> wrote:

I recall Gary once wishing to construct puns using nothing but graphics. I think I have found one that uses nothing but symbols:

£&

G Reeves

joseph h

I'm missing something here. Can you translate? [Poundand -- poundsand...20 shillings and...pencesand...]

Puzzled over the pond

????& would be better as a hybrid using a letter too. ??????????s&

G Reeves

My son Andrew sometimes signs his name ???&rew.??? I am so proud!

Gary Hallock

=========
On Nov 20, 2019, at 9:59 AM, portagecreek <gypsywagon@...> wrote:

???I recall Gary once wishing to construct puns using nothing but graphics. I think I have found one that uses nothing but symbols:

         ??&

G Reeves

Joseph,

I think it was a WWII yank expression for buzz off. Although groups.io does not seem to like links you might try this:

https://writingexplained.org/idiom-dictionary/go-pound-sand

Gary Reeves

My son Andrew sometimes signs his name ???&rew.??? I am so proud!

Gary Hallock

=========
On Nov 20, 2019, at 9:59 AM, portagecreek <gypsywagon@...> wrote:

???I recall Gary once wishing to construct puns using nothing but graphics. I think I have found one that uses nothing but symbols:

         ??&

G Reeves

Marilyn Van Driesen

I must be dense.  I was trying to figure that out, too.

Merk

On Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 07:24:42 PM CST, joseph h via Groups.Io <joe9438@...> wrote:

I'm missing something here. Can you translate? [Poundand -- poundsand...20 shillings and...pencesand...]

Puzzled over the pond

????& would be better as a hybrid using a letter too. ??????????s&

G Reeves

My son Andrew sometimes signs his name ???&rew.??? I am so proud!

Gary Hallock

=========
On Nov 20, 2019, at 9:59 AM, portagecreek <gypsywagon@...> wrote:

???I recall Gary once wishing to construct puns using nothing but graphics. I think I have found one that uses nothing but symbols:

         ??&

G Reeves

One Sagan

What material, found on most beaches, is an excellent conductor of electrical current?
&

Define "in danger of being sodomized".
*

Here I am One Sagan

On Thursday, November 21, 2019, 02:44:05 AM UTC, Marilyn Van Driesen via Groups.Io <merkv814@...> wrote:

I must be dense.  I was trying to figure that out, too.

Merk

On Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 07:24:42 PM CST, joseph h via Groups.Io <joe9438@...> wrote:

I'm missing something here. Can you translate? [Poundand -- poundsand...20 shillings and...pencesand...]

Puzzled over the pond

????& would be better as a hybrid using a letter too. ??????????s&

G Reeves

My son Andrew sometimes signs his name ???&rew.??? I am so proud!

Gary Hallock

=========
On Nov 20, 2019, at 9:59 AM, portagecreek <gypsywagon@...> wrote:

???I recall Gary once wishing to construct puns using nothing but graphics. I think I have found one that uses nothing but symbols:

         ??&

G Reeves

Q: Am I going to propel the rowboat or are you?
A: €

Jim

On Wednesday, November 20, 2019, 07:24:42 PM CST, joseph h via Groups.Io <joe9438=yahoo.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

I'm missing something here. Can you translate? [Poundand -- poundsand...20 shillings and...pencesand...]

Puzzled over the pond

????& would be better as a hybrid using a letter too. ??????????s&

G Reeves

My son Andrew sometimes signs his name ???&rew.??? I am so proud!

Gary Hallock

=========
On Nov 20, 2019, at 9:59 AM, portagecreek <gypsywagon@...> wrote:

???I recall Gary once wishing to construct puns using nothing but graphics. I think I have found one that uses nothing but symbols:

         ??&

G Reeves

WOW!  I  thought I was being clever whenI found out how to make a pound sign ( British Pound ) and combined it with the and sign. So Pound  s and in symbols.  I'll try again.

       £s&

Gary, and others must have seen it that way too, but  now it is coming out as ??? &.

Lee this one takes a translation from someone used to talking to computers.

Gary R

My son Andrew sometimes signs his name ???&rew.??? I am so proud!

Gary Hallock

=========
On Nov 20, 2019, at 9:59 AM, portagecreek <gypsywagon@...> wrote:

???I recall Gary once wishing to construct puns using nothing but graphics. I think I have found one that uses nothing but symbols:

         ??&

G Reeves

The winning boxer was rushed to the hospital but before leaving he asked to have the cash % to his wife.

Gary Hallock
+============

WOW!  I  thought I was being clever whenI found out how to make a pound sign ( British Pound ) and combined it with the and sign. So Pound  s and in symbols.  I'll try again.

       £s&

Gary, and others must have seen it that way too, but  now it is coming out as ??? &.

Lee this one takes a translation from someone used to talking to computers.

Gary R

My son Andrew sometimes signs his name ???&rew.??? I am so proud!

Gary Hallock

=========
On Nov 20, 2019, at 9:59 AM, portagecreek <gypsywagon@...> wrote:

???I recall Gary once wishing to construct puns using nothing but graphics. I think I have found one that uses nothing but symbols:

         ??&

G Reeves

Gilbert and Sullivan wrote the π r8s of pens&s.

Jim

On November 20, 2019, at 9:22 PM, gary hallock <gary@...> wrote:

[...]

Cynthia MacGregor

If you’re dense, Marilyn, I’m an ignoromnibus (I think that may be a POGO word but not sure—at any rate, it’s not original w/me) bcs not only couldn’t I figure out what the rebus meant, but now that The Other Gary has explained it, I understand why I couldn’t figure it out: I’ve never heard/read the expression “pound sand.” And I’m a “War Baby,” so that comes from my era.

Take heart, my friend. You’re not alone in having been puzzled.

Cyn

Make it a splendiferous day!

Cynthia ("Cyn") MacGregor

Freelance writer/editor

www.cynthiamacgregor.com

Pass a smile along

My son Andrew sometimes signs his name ???&rew.??? I am so proud!

Gary Hallock

=========
On Nov 20, 2019, at 9:59 AM, portagecreek <gypsywagon@...> wrote:

???I recall Gary once wishing to construct puns using nothing but graphics. I think I have found one that uses nothing but symbols:

         ??&

G Reeves

    There is no reason for anyone to get dense — better for all to chillax.  As for punning, as always it helps to remain # unless one has a ¥ to fall flat.  It seems we can keep this up ~ cows come home, if we ^ all.

    “Pound sand” is a well known phrase from my high school days, and I am of your era, Cyn.

      For the Latin fans dismayed by this all, you always can go back to your /.

[...]

Obviously I didn’t go to your high school, Lars.

I admitted my ignorance even though I had my *.

Cyn

Make it a splendiferous day!

Cynthia ("Cyn") MacGregor

Freelance writer/editor

www.cynthiamacgregor.com

Pass a smile along

My son Andrew sometimes signs his name ???&rew.??? I am so proud!

Gary Hallock

=========
On Nov 20, 2019, at 9:59 AM, portagecreek <gypsywagon@...> wrote:

???I recall Gary once wishing to construct puns using nothing but graphics. I think I have found one that uses nothing but symbols:

         ??&

G Reeves

Marilyn Van Driesen

Thanks for your reassurance!

On Thursday, November 21, 2019, 02:32:58 AM CST, Cynthia MacGregor <cynthia@...> wrote:

[...]

As the cowboy said, after being tricked into watching a lasso twirling performance, "€ped me in!"

Jim

On November 20, 2019, at 9:51 PM, "James Ertner via Groups.Io" <jde31459@...> wrote:

[...]

:-)  That i get.  But I don't know when you will get this as we have a slight internet problem....

Joseph

On 21/11/2019 3:24 am, James Ertner wrote:

Q: Am I going to propel the rowboat or are you?
A: €