Topics

moderated Rogue Riddle 997 - I made a small error

Aaron Fasel

OK folks, during the time of my emails not getting sent, I edited one of the questions and somehow the old version made it through.

In other words, the list has two James Dean movies listed, but only one of them is a James Dean movie. The one about the pregnant wife should have referenced Burt Lancaster.

Let me know if you didn’t get this email. I’m a MENSA member (not really) and totally know what I just said.

On Nov 9, 2019, at 4:53 PM, Aaron Fasel via Groups.Io <aaronpf@...> wrote:

The usual disclaimer: Don’t forget to send your responses to me only, not to the group. My email address is aaronpf@.... Don’t change the subject line or it is likely I will miss it.

Although I’m new to this list, I’d wager this is a common puzzle format with this group. Below I have described the basic plot of a dozen famous movies and all you need to do is provide the name. In each case I PROMISE that you have either seen it or at least heard of it. It is unlikely that you will need to research the clues.

Scoring is simple: One point for each answer that matches mine, and two points for answers that are not the same, but make me laugh or are objectively better.

Actually, you have NEVER seen these movies, because the titles have been changed in a pun-tactic manner. For example:

  • In this film, Clarice Starling insists that the egomaniacal pigs get off the stage and shut up
    • Silence of the Hams

Easy enough? Let’s begin. (We’ll start off with an easy one.)

  • Scout proceeds to get the flock tipsy
    • ________________________________________________

  • Having broken the window glass, Orson Welles perches in the frame to look over his empire
    • ________________________________________________

  • An artist creates a depiction of Scarlett, sitting next to a contraption made by Eli Whitney himself
    • ________________________________________________

  • One of the most famous puppeteers in modern history gets stuck in a snowstorm
    • ________________________________________________

  • After running across the country, the main character finds himself butt-naked in the woods
    • ________________________________________________

  • In an effort to get a dozen eggs in one day, the farmer proceeds to piss off his chickens
    • ________________________________________________

  • In this moving biography, this movie depicts the journey of the famous Mr. Franklin as he realizes that he is transgendered.
    • ________________________________________________

  • James Dean is in the middle of making a movie, and finds out that his pregnant wife is in labor and already at the hospital. He RACES in his little sports car to see her.
    • ________________________________________________

  • In this cult classic, Parisians are depicted rubbing their orange juice together to make heat.
    • ________________________________________________

  • James Dean (again!) stars as a civil war soldier who discovers Santa isn’t real
    • ________________________________________________

  • Humphrey Bogart stars as a geological surveyor, assessing the length of a Mexican Mountain range
    • ________________________________________________

  • A classic adventure featuring teachers evaluating a dog with laryngitis
    • ________________________________________________

Kirk Miller

Aaron,

I received your Riddle with two James Deans.  Please send the correct version.

Kirk Miller
Live Aloha!

[...]

Whaaaat? I wasn’t completely clear? That’s a new one on me. Just ask my wife. I never make errors in communication (or judgement)!!

Here's how the two questions SHOULD read:

  • Burt Lancaster is in the middle of making a movie, and finds out that his pregnant wife is in labor and already at the hospital. He RACES in his little sports car to see her.  (That would have been more clever, albeit tasteless, if it had been James Dean) So he has to go to her.
    • ________________________________________________

  • James Dean stars as a civil war soldier who discovers Santa isn’t real
    • ________________________________________________

I’ll give an early bonus hint to make up for it: the James Dean movie isn't a Giant deal, nor is it viewed East of the Mississippi.

On Nov 9, 2019, at 9:15 PM, Kirk Miller <kirkmiller@...> wrote:

[...]

Cynthia MacGregor

Whaaaat? I wasn’t completely clear? That’s a new one on me. Just ask my wife. I never make errors in communication (or judgement)!!

Or spelling (like “judgment”)

Cyn

Aaron Fasel

Wouldn’t it be awesome if I had meant to do that?

Aaron

On Nov 10, 2019, at 2:46 AM, Cynthia MacGregor <Cynthia@...> wrote:

Whaaaat? I wasn’t completely clear? That’s a new one on me. Just ask my wife. I never make errors in communication (or judgement)!!

Or spelling (like “judgment”)

Cyn

joseph h

Adjusts monocle on right eye. "Harrumph". Snorts while warming backside against the large open fire. "There is a small set of volumes known as the OED, which stands for Oxford English Dictionary. It has a certain reputation.... Its judgement is "judgement -gment n." Removes monocle and polishes it with silk handkerchief from top jacket pocket. "And crisps are flat round things, while chips are elongated square cross sections of potato, which are at least1/4 inch (5mm) on a cross section side, fried; there are also slivers of potato, fried, known as French Fries --- ugh!" Picks up glass of water to put out burning coat tail. Meanwhile the jury has developed an appetite, and is out to lunch...

Joseph

On 10/11/2019 8:45 am, Cynthia MacGregor wrote:

??

Whaaaat? I wasn???t completely clear? That???s a new one on me. Just ask my wife. I never make errors in communication (or judgement)!!

??

Or spelling (like ???judgment???)

??

Joseph,

Did you realize the groups.io domain is the British Indian Ocean Territory.  ( not the Indian territory in the old western movies).

the other Gary

[...]

My dear, you and the OED are both Brits, and on your side of the pond, indeed “judgement” is the correct spelling, just like “acknowledgement,” which we Yanks spell without the first “e.” But when we won the war of 1776 we broke free of British rule and also British rules, including rules of spelling. We also omit the “u” of “colour” (which my Spellcheck has just underlined in red to tell me I spelled it wrong) and “favour.” We Yanks are an independent lot, don’t you know? And think of the money—that’’s dollars, not pounds—we’ve saved on printer ink over the years by not having to print those unnecessary “e”s and “u”s.

Cyn

Make it a splendiferous day!

Cynthia ("Cyn") MacGregor

Freelance writer/editor

www.cynthiamacgregor.com

Pass a smile along

From: PUNY <puny@groups.io> on behalf of "joseph h via Groups.Io" <joe9438@...>
Date: Sunday, November 10, 2019 at 9:47 PM
To: PUNY <puny@groups.io>

[...]

Mere mention the OED
Stirs tempest o’er one extra “e”
“Sir Joe,” in invoking
This book, derails joking.
Must we suffer from OCD?*

Gary Hallock

*OCD: ”Over Seas Dictionary”
+===========

++===============

++==============

On 10/11/2019 8:45 am, Cynthia MacGregor wrote:

??

Whaaaat? I wasn???t completely clear? That???s a new one on me. Just ask my wife. I never make errors in communication (or judgement)!!

??

Or spelling (like ???judgment???)

??

Joseph Harris

And, for a moment, I thought "Brits rule". But alas! Part of the place is Diego Garcia, where the GBP is the legal currency, but the de facto reality is that US dollars rule. I suppose it may be described as taking a pounding, and giving Brits a dolorous face. At least it explains "io", and since it is to the east, it should be referred to as E I, E I Oh - though there is clearly no longer a farm there, so no  pun about the old Macdonald supplying the new.

Joseph

[...]

No, it’s either, “I-O, I-O, it’s off to work we go,” (SNOW HEIGHT), or it’s the first two thirds of “IOU,” although we’ve yet to definitively decide if IO in pounds or dollars.

Actually in the meat department, both rule. They sell the meat at so many dollars per pound.

Is a meat market a singles social?

Actually a single is of hardly any use these days—there’s damn little you can buy for just a dollar.

And is Diego Garcia a Mexican actor? Or a farewell greeting? (Diego Gar…See ya!)

Make it a splendiferous day!

Cynthia ("Cyn") MacGregor

Freelance writer/editor

www.cynthiamacgregor.com

Pass a smile along

[...]

Diego Garcia — “The Footprint of Freedom”

   This is a lovely atoll in the Indian Ocean.  Good for fishing and snorkeling, and not much else for recreation.  There is an old British communications station on the east side of the island, and old copra plantation, and the remains of a PBY Catalina aircraft on the beach.

    Now, of course, there is a U.S. military base and airstrip there.  The central lagoon is large and protected, a nice place for conducting minor ship  repairs.

    The isolated atoll is still British land, part of the British Indian Ocean Territories - BIOT.  At least until sea level rise claims the island....

[...]

    The island is hardly that atoll.

    And, as with the national debt now, the IO is very large!

[...]

It doesn’t sound like much fun atoll.

Make it a splendiferous day!

Cynthia ("Cyn") MacGregor

Freelance writer/editor

www.cynthiamacgregor.com

Pass a smile along

[...]

I just used that pun (didn’t show up yet). You’re stealing my material. Does that make you a material witness?

Make it a splendiferous day!

Cynthia ("Cyn") MacGregor

Freelance writer/editor

www.cynthiamacgregor.com

Pass a smile along

[...]

You have committed another Cyn!

    Look below my post!  You’ll see island your pun there.  No theft atoll!

[...]

To where did I commit this other Cyn? Bellevue?

Actually this name’s ache committed Freud (or schadenfreude) by trying to pass herself off as me. In the current weather pattern across the nation, she probably committed froid. Or sangfroid, which is similar to singin’ in the rain, but occurs in the cold, and in the past tense. At my age I am well past tents. I like the comfort of my bed. It’s much bedder than a sleeping bag in a tent. I guess that makes me a tent shun.

Make it a splendiferous day!

Cynthia ("Cyn") MacGregor

Freelance writer/editor

www.cynthiamacgregor.com

Pass a smile along

[...]

Cyn, no, but if Lars stole a thousand of your pun lines would that be Grand Larseny?

The other Gary