Topics

New FAQ / Guidelines

Lee Jackson

With the transition to Groups.io comes a rewritten FAQ and guidelines. These are viewable at https://groups.io/g/puny/guidelines. I'd appreciate it if you'd take a moment, give the new document a gander, and see if it needs goosing anywhere.

Thanks for your time.

#PUNYFAQ
#PUNYGuidelines
--
Lee Jackson, PUNY group Administrangler
Visit the PUNY and O. Henry Museum Web Sites!

Cynthia MacGregor

Two comments:

1 – I believe the O. Henry Museum has a new name—something incorporating the Susannah Dickinson Museum or something like that. Check with Leerless Feeder.

2 – Leerless Feeder has always discouraged non-punny posts. Your FAQ says something about discussions re puns or some such. I believe this was always not welcome.

Thank you again for your tireless efforts.

Make it a splendiferous day!

Cynthia ("Cyn") MacGregor

Freelance writer/editor

www.cynthiamacgregor.com

Pass a smile along

From: PUNY <puny@groups.io> on behalf of Lee Jackson <leejackson@...>
Date: Wednesday, November 6, 2019 at 8:38 AM
To: PUNY <puny@groups.io>
Subject: [puny] New FAQ / Guidelines

With the transition to Groups.io comes a rewritten FAQ and guidelines. These are viewable at https://groups.io/g/puny/guidelines. I'd appreciate it if you'd take a moment, give the new document a gander, and see if it needs goosing anywhere.

Thanks for your time.

#PUNYFAQ
#PUNYGuidelines
--
Lee Jackson, PUNY group Administrangler
Visit the PUNY and O. Henry Museum Web Sites!
http://punpunpun.com
http://www.austintexas.gov/department/o-henry-museum

Lee Jackson

1. The info on http://www.austintexas.gov/department/o-henry-museum is rather ambiguous. It refers to the O. Henry Museum, the O. Henry and Susanna Dickinson Museums, and the Brush Square Museums, all on the same page. I don't know which one to incorporate into the FAQ/Guidelines, so I've left it at the first reference for now.

Gary, if you're out there, SPEAK UP, PLEASE.

2. Personally, I've been cool with any kind of posts concerning the O. Henry Pun-Off World Championships. Gary is the one who wanted to split off P-OWC discussions, but I never saw a need as listowner. Maybe it's time to start making subgroups, as we discussed back on Yahoo.

Again, Gary, if you're out there, SPEAK UP, PLEASE.

BTW, I used the hashtag function wrong. I should have put them into the topic line instead of into the message body. It's too late to remedy that now - it only works for the first message of the thread. C'est la guerre.

BTW Number 2 - be careful using pound signs in your subject lines for things like numbers (e.g., #40, etc.) and so on. Groups.io will interpret them as message hashtags and will index them. If you write your message wrong, there's a possibility that your thread could get auto-deleted by the system. I'd suggest reading the help article on hashtags here: https://groups.io/static/help#hashtags .

From: PUNY <puny@groups.io> on behalf of Lee Jackson <leejackson@...>
Date: Wednesday, November 6, 2019 at 8:38 AM
To: PUNY <puny@groups.io>

With the transition to Groups.io comes a rewritten FAQ and guidelines. These are viewable at https://groups.io/g/puny/guidelines. I'd appreciate it if you'd take a moment, give the new document a gander, and see if it needs goosing anywhere.

Thanks for your time.

#PUNYFAQ
#PUNYGuidelines
--
Lee Jackson, PUNY group Administrangler
Visit the PUNY and O. Henry Museum Web Sites!
http://punpunpun.com
http://www.austintexas.gov/department/o-henry-museum

--
Lee Jackson, PUNY group Administrangler
Visit the PUNY and O. Henry Museum Web Sites!
http://punpunpun.com
http://www.austintexas.gov/department/o-henry-museum

joseph h

It's lucky(?) you have  Brit on here to discuss pound signs... I believe in the US a hashtag is used for pound weight; however the ancient and good old pound sterling, a.k.a. GBP is a different kettle of fish  ...er, yes... thus £ is made with Alt + 0163 [possibly on the numbers pad if you have one]. Unfortunately a UK keyboard user, innocently using the caps pound sign  [numbers row above 3], returns for Americans a #, which may be why it is often used by Americans for the limping, but not down £. Now, on the Brit keyboard, the hashtag is at the end of the asdf row, thus #. what did that return for you?
Joseph

From: PUNY <puny@groups.io> on behalf of Lee Jackson <leejackson@...>
Date: Wednesday, November 6, 2019 at 8:38 AM
To: PUNY <puny@groups.io>

With the transition to Groups.io comes a rewritten FAQ and guidelines. These are viewable at https://groups.io/g/puny/guidelines. I'd appreciate it if you'd take a moment, give the new document a gander, and see if it needs goosing anywhere.

Thanks for your time.

#PUNYFAQ
#PUNYGuidelines
--
Lee Jackson, PUNY group Administrangler
Visit the PUNY and O. Henry Museum Web Sites!
http://punpunpun.com
http://www.austintexas.gov/department/o-henry-museum

--
Lee Jackson, PUNY group Administrangler
Visit the PUNY and O. Henry Museum Web Sites!
http://punpunpun.com
http://www.austintexas.gov/department/o-henry-museum

Cynthia MacGregor

I get the British pound sign with Opt + 3 on my Mac: £

Make it a splendiferous day!

Cynthia ("Cyn") MacGregor

Freelance writer/editor

www.cynthiamacgregor.com

Pass a smile along

From: PUNY <puny@groups.io> on behalf of Lee Jackson <leejackson@...>
Date: Wednesday, November 6, 2019 at 8:38 AM
To: PUNY <puny@groups.io>

With the transition to Groups.io comes a rewritten FAQ and guidelines. These are viewable at https://groups.io/g/puny/guidelines. I'd appreciate it if you'd take a moment, give the new document a gander, and see if it needs goosing anywhere.

Thanks for your time.

#PUNYFAQ
#PUNYGuidelines
--
Lee Jackson, PUNY group Administrangler
Visit the PUNY and O. Henry Museum Web Sites!
http://punpunpun.com
http://www.austintexas.gov/department/o-henry-museum

--
Lee Jackson, PUNY group Administrangler
Visit the PUNY and O. Henry Museum Web Sites!
http://punpunpun.com
http://www.austintexas.gov/department/o-henry-museum

doug

Lee, I'm still getting 2 emails from everyone's posts

From: PUNY <puny@groups.io> on behalf of Lee Jackson <leejackson@...>
Date: Wednesday, November 6, 2019 at 8:38 AM
To: PUNY <puny@groups.io>

With the transition to Groups.io comes a rewritten FAQ and guidelines. These are viewable at https://groups.io/g/puny/guidelines. I'd appreciate it if you'd take a moment, give the new document a gander, and see if it needs goosing anywhere.

Thanks for your time.

#PUNYFAQ
#PUNYGuidelines
--
Lee Jackson, PUNY group Administrangler
Visit the PUNY and O. Henry Museum Web Sites!
http://punpunpun.com
http://www.austintexas.gov/department/o-henry-museum

--
Lee Jackson, PUNY group Administrangler
Visit the PUNY and O. Henry Museum Web Sites!
http://punpunpun.com
http://www.austintexas.gov/department/o-henry-museum

--
Doug Spector

Lee Jackson

Did you follow the instructions from the FAQ? Here they are, just in case you need them:

"To turn off duplicate emails, log into your account. Then look for the dropdown in the top right corner of the page, which will be either your name or email address. Click that and then click Account. From your Account page, click the Preferences sidebar tab. Look for the 'I always want copies of my own messages' checkbox and uncheck that. Then click the Update Preferences button."

Let me know if this works, or if you've already tried it.

On 11/6/2019 8:53 AM, doug via Groups.Io wrote:
Lee, I'm still getting 2 emails from everyone's posts

--
Lee Jackson, PUNY group Administrangler
Visit the PUNY and O. Henry Museum Web Sites!
http://punpunpun.com
http://www.austintexas.gov/department/o-henry-museum

doug

I already tried that....it looks like I have duplicate accounts but there's no place to delete one

[...]

This can be solved. Log in to the account you want to delete, then go to this link:

https://groups.io/static/help#deleteaccount

Be careful - once you click on the "click here" link, it really will start the account deletion process. Make absolutely sure that you want to delete that account.

On 11/6/2019 9:07 AM, doug via Groups.Io wrote:
[...]

gary hallock

By failing to weigh in on this discussion, I am apparently failing in my presumed capacity as “feeder.” This ends now.

Firstly, I want to issue a large vote of thanks and confidence to Lee Jackson for taking this bull by the horns and getting us such a smooth transition to IO.

Secondly, I will address the issue of what the museum name is. The O.Henry Home and Museum (a.k.a. O.Henry Museum) still has the same name as it ever did. About 10 years ago the renovation and relocation of the Susanna Dickinson Museum onto Brush Square brought it under the same curatorship as the O.Henry, but these are still identified as individual buildings and individual museums. http://www.austintexas.gov/page/get-involved-susanna-dickinson-museum

Complicating all of this is the little-known fact that a 3rd small museum is also located in Brush Square, The Austin Fire Museum. This is a collection housed in one room of the fire station which itself is now a historic building and very well may someday become a museum visitor center. http://www.austintexas.gov/firemuseum

The non-profit supporting group which was formerly known as “Friends of O.Henry” is now formally known as The Brush Square Museums Foundation(BSMF) https://www.brushsquaremuseums.org/

The Annual O.Henry Pun-Off World Championships are co-produced by PARD and BSMF with the assistance of PUNY.

For the record, Brush Square was dedicated as one of Austin’s original 4 downtown park blocks which defined an equidistant grid boxing in the state Capitol building. (Only three of these parks still remain, the other two being Woodbridge and Republic Square)

These 3 parks are owned and operated by the City of Austin, and managed by their Parks and Recreation Department. (PARD) The Museums are staffed by city employees and volunteer docents.

Some trivia about Pun-Off and PUNY
============================

As Gary Hallock has officially retired from active management of the event, the formal producer of the Pun-Off these days is David Gugenheim. gug9000@...

Official website for all things Pun-Off relevant are as follows. Any of these three variations take you to the same site, which is where folks flock to sign up on April 1st for the contestant lottery.

We also have two Facebook sites where people can come to occasionally post and play games. One is for sharing Pun-Off news and pun-related tidbits.
The other is almost exclusively for punny banter and games.

To my knowledge PUNY has no formal presence on Instagram, Twitter or other social media. We are, however open to the prospect that someone might wish to make this so. Volunteers?

We also have a presence on Wikipedia.com. That is desperately in need of updating.

On whatever platform people visit or post, we prefer to use the hashtag #PunOffATX

================

About my supposed philosophy/guidelines for postings to PUNY, I should like to clarify.

Hopeful of preserving the purity of our original wordplay, I initially suggested that we spin off a sub-group for discussions that might degenerate into tedium and trivia. This was to avoid cluttering up our freewheeling spontaneous banter. It never really presented much of a problem, but it has occasionally been very useful to have this as an alternate channel of communication and discussion.

So far as I am concerned, there is no problem at all if we make non-punny posts on the PUNY main line, so long as they are essentially about puns, punning, linguistics etc. As we are all hard-core punsters, any such discussion that gets very serious, probably won’t stay serious for long.

The main thing that always concerned me is/was preserving the notion that we area gang of pun originators and creative word players. Naturally we are also consumers, but what we don’t need are reposted stories, quips or tired old memes from other sources.

The occasional pun-based limerick is certainly welcome and expected, but some of us tend to thrive on verse, while for some, the obverse is true. This is why we long-ago split off the Limerick & Haiku list. Many of us continue to subscribe and play on both simultaneously. I am satisfied with the status quo on this and look forward to seeing most of the hard core PUNY folks also migrate over to the L&H list as well.

That’s enough for me from now.

Thanks for your indulgences.

Gary (Leerless Feeder) Hallock

From: PUNY <puny@groups.io> on behalf of Lee Jackson <leejackson@...>
Date: Wednesday, November 6, 2019 at 8:38 AM
To: PUNY <puny@groups.io>

With the transition to Groups.io comes a rewritten FAQ and guidelines. These are viewable at https://groups.io/g/puny/guidelines. I'd appreciate it if you'd take a moment, give the new document a gander, and see if it needs goosing anywhere.

Thanks for your time.

#PUNYFAQ
#PUNYGuidelines
--
Lee Jackson, PUNY group Administrangler
Visit the PUNY and O. Henry Museum Web Sites!
http://punpunpun.com
http://www.austintexas.gov/department/o-henry-museum

--
Lee Jackson, PUNY group Administrangler
Visit the PUNY and O. Henry Museum Web Sites!
http://punpunpun.com
http://www.austintexas.gov/department/o-henry-museum

Lars Hanson

Lee,

    Many thanks for your patience, understanding, and tireless help over the decades.  You have made this all possible and kept it running for all of us.

    With regard to subgroups, there used to be a PunOff group separate from PUNY.  Should that be re-established?  If so, should the FAQ’s be reworded to reflect that separation?

From: PUNY <puny@groups.io> on behalf of Lee Jackson <leejackson@...>
Date: Wednesday, November 6, 2019 at 8:38 AM
To: PUNY <puny@groups.io>

With the transition to Groups.io comes a rewritten FAQ and guidelines. These are viewable at https://groups.io/g/puny/guidelines. I'd appreciate it if you'd take a moment, give the new document a gander, and see if it needs goosing anywhere.

Thanks for your time.

#PUNYFAQ
#PUNYGuidelines
--
Lee Jackson, PUNY group Administrangler
Visit the PUNY and O. Henry Museum Web Sites!
http://punpunpun.com
http://www.austintexas.gov/department/o-henry-museum

--
Lee Jackson, PUNY group Administrangler
Visit the PUNY and O. Henry Museum Web Sites!
http://punpunpun.com
http://www.austintexas.gov/department/o-henry-museum

Lee Jackson

My pleasure to keep the group going.

Who was running the PunOff group at last check? That's who I need to coordinate the formation of any subgroup with.

Speaking of subgroups, forgive my fading memory, but who was it that wanted to form Limericks_n_Haiku and PunAmok subgroups? Please get back to me ASAP so that we can coordinate these items. Thanks!

From: PUNY <puny@groups.io> on behalf of Lee Jackson <leejackson@...>
Date: Wednesday, November 6, 2019 at 8:38 AM
To: PUNY <puny@groups.io>

[...]

The listowner of L&H is Lars; I’m a moderator on the group.

I was a moderator on Pun Amok, too, but I think we can let that group go by the wayside. That was mainly for discussions about puns that were not themselves inherently punny, but as Gary has just expressed that he no longer has an aversion to such material going onto PUNY, I think there is no longer a need for the Amok group.

Without knowing for sure, I suspect Garrulous was listowner on PunOff. But as he is no longer producer of the Pun-Off itself, perhaps he wants to cede ownership of the same-named list?

Make it a splendiferous day!

Cynthia ("Cyn") MacGregor

Freelance writer/editor

www.cynthiamacgregor.com

Pass a smile along

From: PUNY <puny@groups.io> on behalf of Lee Jackson <leejackson@...>
Date: Wednesday, November 6, 2019 at 8:38 AM
To: PUNY <puny@groups.io>

[...]

Hi, Lee!

    I, Lars Hanson, am the founder and owner of Limericks ‘n’ Haiku.

    A little over 20 years ago, some on PUNY began posting limericks, often cleverly punned.  In addition, other loose poetry (“doggerel”) began being posted.  At the time, some on the PUNY list objected to such material being on PUNY.  As a result, and with the encouragement of such people as Stan  Kegel, I founded the Limericks ‘n’ Haiku list as a place for limericks and haiku.  The list has remained closely associated with PUNY over the decades, with most members of the Limericks ‘n’ Haiku list also being members of PUNY.

    In 2004, when I was being sent to Iraq, Gary and Cyn graciously accepted my request to become list moderators during my absence.

    The two lists — PUNY and Limericks ‘n’ Haiku — thus always have been and remain closely related.

    Hope this helps.

From: PUNY <puny@groups.io> on behalf of Lee Jackson <leejackson@...>
Date: Wednesday, November 6, 2019 at 8:38 AM
To: PUNY <puny@groups.io>

[...]

As the future of YahooGroups seems bleak it does seem that moving everything to IO would make some kind of sense. We should remember that the real reason for moving a group to IO is to preserve our ability to create and access archives. If the punoff and amok groups require no archives the only reason to move them would be to gather all our folks onto the same platform. That seems practical but not really essential.

Does anyone sense a delicious irony to the fact that conversations such as this one are the very reason we initially felt the need to create these sub groups? Yet here we are now filling up our fresh new IO archive with all this non-punny chatter! Even though such sidebar conversations are rare, I think this proves a practical need for them. I really worry that we are about to drive away enthusiastic newbies like Erika with all this seemingly irrelevant non-punny chatter.

Alternate proposal... rather than figuring out who is owner/moderator of punoff and amok, why not merely create new IO groups to serve this same purpose? Lee could likely moderate all three with only a little extra sweat. ( a very bold assumption)

Even if we cease posting there, It is my understanding/assumption that all of our groups will still exist on Yahoo. If this is the case, there is no reason this very thread should not be happening on the original version of Pun Amok. I am curious to know if anyone of us has actually closed out our entire Yahoo account. I am still subscribed to quite a few other groups that do not appear to be moving.

Gary H

From: PUNY <puny@groups.io> on behalf of Lee Jackson <leejackson@...>
Date: Wednesday, November 6, 2019 at 8:38 AM
To: PUNY <puny@groups.io>

[...]

Thanks for the reminder, Lars! Considering the low volume of the PUNY list, would you consider carrying on your Limericks 'n' Haiku fun here, or do you wish to create a subgroup? I leave the decision up to you, since I am fine with either route.

From: PUNY <puny@groups.io> on behalf of Lee Jackson <leejackson@...>
Date: Wednesday, November 6, 2019 at 8:38 AM
To: PUNY <puny@groups.io>

[...]

Gary, I'm sorry that the thread is cluttered, but I promise it won't be so for long.

As for making new groups, I'd be more receptive to making subgroups. That way everyone's membership is linked to the PUNY group, which is a plus, and things would be much easier for me to administrangle (I'd hate to have to go through the Groups.io setup process for two more groups ... *shudder*).

Again, Lars, I leave the decision up to you. Merger or subgroups?

From: PUNY <puny@groups.io> on behalf of Lee Jackson <leejackson@...>
Date: Wednesday, November 6, 2019 at 8:38 AM
To: PUNY <puny@groups.io>

[...]

    Subgroup sounds like a good way to go for me, as long as it is not too great a burden for you.

    Is there a way to migrate the Limericks ‘n’ Haiku group (now a separate group) into PUNY as a subgroup?

Gary,

    Getting organized would seem import, and, as Lee notes, will only take a short time.

    Apologies to all for the bits of administrivia as we migrate PUNY.

From: PUNY <puny@groups.io> on behalf of Lee Jackson <leejackson@...>
Date: Wednesday, November 6, 2019 at 8:38 AM
To: PUNY <puny@groups.io>

[...]

Sorry for the delayed reply - I had a few errands and a doctor's appointment to attend to, after which I was thoroughly wiped out.

I am definitely up for a subgroup, which I would propose that we name Limericks_n_Haiku for domain name's sake. Let me know if that is acceptable.

As for migration, we can't migrate it in the same way that we migrated the PUNY group - not unless you want to spend $110 for the transfer. :)  However, if you can download a plain-text list of your Yahoo group members, I can invite them to join the Groups.io PUNY group, and from there I can "direct add" [sic] them to the Limericks_n_Haiku subgroup. Here's how we should proceed:

  1. You will download or somehow collect your membership list and prepare it for me as a plain-text file with one e-mail address per line, nothing else.
  2. I will establish the subgroup, direct add you and Cyn to it, and set you both up as moderators of it.
  3. I will send out the invitations to the Yahoo members with information on the transfer.
  4. Once the members start joining, I will direct add them to the subgroup.

Again, let me know if this is acceptable.

From: PUNY <puny@groups.io> on behalf of Lee Jackson <leejackson@...>
Date: Wednesday, November 6, 2019 at 8:38 AM
To: PUNY <puny@groups.io>

[...]

    That sounds good to me.  I will start working on getting you the plain text list.

    Thanks!