From: PUNY <PUNY@...>
Date: Wednesday, January 6, 2016 7:44 AM
To: PUNY <PUNY@...>
Subject: [puny] FETA #72

Another off-the-topic FETA:

This may not be fair to our non-American friends since it concerns the 2016 presidential race.  Donald Trump, who's currently leading the Republican pack, has leveled charges that one of his main opponents may not be eligible for the presidency since he wasn't born in the United States.  In other words, he's concerned that his opponent might catch up with him in the national polls and ____________ to an easy victory in the Republican Party race.

Send your guesses to chasmwuk@....

Lars Hanson

All,

    If Cyn's comment is accurate, this is a sad state of affairs.

    The riddles here are a game.  It seems to me the point of any game is to have fun.  That should mean that *ALL* players are welcome, regardless of whether or not they want to or can host the next riddle.

    Why not encourage all to play and discourage none?

    It seems pretty cheesy to limit players in the FETA Riddles.  Has it a curd to some yet that is not the whey to play?  Wouldn't it be gouda to include everyone?

    Best Swisses and aloha,

        Lars

====================

On Jan 6, 2016 7:47 AM, "Cynthia MacGregor cynthia@... [puny]" <puny@...> wrote:

I know the answer but u have made it plain u don't want to hear from anyone who won't host the next riddle…and I CAN'T

From: PUNY <PUNY@...>
Date: Wednesday, January 6, 2016 7:44 AM
To: PUNY <PUNY@...>

Another off-the-topic FETA:

This may not be fair to our non-American friends since it concerns the 2016 presidential race.  Donald Trump, who's currently leading the Republican pack, has leveled charges that one of his main opponents may not be eligible for the presidency since he wasn't born in the United States.  In other words, he's concerned that his opponent might catch up with him in the national polls and ____________ to an easy victory in the Republican Party race.

Send your guesses to chasmwuk@....

James Ertner

Very Kraft-ily worded, Lars.

Jim
==========================

From: PUNY <PUNY@...>
Date: Wednesday, January 6, 2016 7:44 AM
To: PUNY <PUNY@...>

Another off-the-topic FETA:

This may not be fair to our non-American friends since it concerns the 2016 presidential race.  Donald Trump, who's currently leading the Republican pack, has leveled charges that one of his main opponents may not be eligible for the presidency since he wasn't born in the United States.  In other words, he's concerned that his opponent might catch up with him in the national polls and ____________ to an easy victory in the Republican Party race.

Send your guesses to chasmwuk@....

Bill Crider

Some of us are not retired or have obligations that make it difficult to be attentive to the games. When I am able to host, sometimes I have had folks criticize me for not responding as fast as they think I should. That has made me even more reluctant to host.
So I agree heartily with Lars:  all should feel encouraged to play, even if you can't host.
billcrider

From: PUNY <PUNY@...>
Date: Wednesday, January 6, 2016 7:44 AM
To: PUNY <PUNY@...>

Another off-the-topic FETA:

This may not be fair to our non-American friends since it concerns the 2016 presidential race.  Donald Trump, who's currently leading the Republican pack, has leveled charges that one of his main opponents may not be eligible for the presidency since he wasn't born in the United States.  In other words, he's concerned that his opponent might catch up with him in the national polls and ____________ to an easy victory in the Republican Party race.

Send your guesses to chasmwuk@....

Stan Kegel

I agree entirely with the comments of Lars and Bill. When I accept the BINGO to post the next riddle I feel an obligation to be able to answer any guesses within a resealable time. That means I must be around my computer except for short periods. I don't think there is anything more frustrating than giving an answer you feel is correct and waiting 4 t9 8 hours to find out if you were correct or if anyone beat you to it. Likewise it is frustrating to sit around the computer and getting no guesses at all because no one has the time to post the next riddle. Is ny riddle to obscure and I have to give some obvious clues or is it because everyone is busy. By putting even a suggestion to not bother to play if you're unable to give the time to post the next riddle is likely to end the F Rissoles for lack of participation.

And how about any new participants who want to try to answer the riddles but are uncomfortable to start guessing because they do not yet feel comfortable enough to post riddles of their own.

There should be no pressure to force anyone to obligate themselves to posting the next riddle for the privilege of playing.

NONE

Stan

From: PUNY <PUNY@...>
Date: Wednesday, January 6, 2016 7:44 AM
To: PUNY <PUNY@...>

Another off-the-topic FETA:

This may not be fair to our non-American friends since it concerns the 2016 presidential race.  Donald Trump, who's currently leading the Republican pack, has leveled charges that one of his main opponents may not be eligible for the presidency since he wasn't born in the United States.  In other words, he's concerned that his opponent might catch up with him in the national polls and ____________ to an easy victory in the Republican Party race.

Send your guesses to chasmwuk@....

joseph h

And, even if you leave me out of the equation, the time differences will often be a consideration. While the comparison with pot-luck dinner is interesting, it is really not of the same order. It is quite reasonable for frequent setters to feel irritation that some rarely or never set a puzzle, but making that public - it seems to me - has the effect of further limiting involvement from those not well placed to set puzzles, even where that is temporary.

I've been involved in a lot of organising, and I have yet to experience a situation where more than a handful carry the organisation. Often chairman, I set out to keep contributors and non-contributors happy, especially after I caused a major row myself!!! A sense of welcome will increase activity and contribution is my experience.

Joseph

From: PUNY <PUNY@...>
Date: Wednesday, January 6, 2016 7:44 AM
To: PUNY <PUNY@...>

Another off-the-topic FETA:

This may not be fair to our non-American friends since it concerns the 2016 presidential race.  Donald Trump, who's currently leading the Republican pack, has leveled charges that one of his main opponents may not be eligible for the presidency since he wasn't born in the United States.  In other words, he's concerned that his opponent might catch up with him in the national polls and ____________ to an easy victory in the Republican Party race.

Send your guesses to chasmwuk@....

Lars Hanson

Joseph,

    Very well said!  Thank you.

All,

    In addition,  it seems worth restating what may be obvious to many here -- not everyone who solves riddles necessarily is good at creating,  let alone hosting, them.  Managing degrees of difficulty and of obscurity can be challenging in and of itself.  And even after one's best efforts, it seems there still will be those who quibble with a cavil at a particular riddle or group of riddles.  That's life!

    Remember, the goal in the F-Riddles was to have riddles which are quickly solved, with the idea that 8 or 10 or even 12 riddles per day are possible.  Writing riddles which are not so obvious that any satisfaction in solving them is lost while still making them easy enough to allow multiple riddles per day is not easy by any means.  It can be a lot of work, in fact!

    So, while we might dairy like to see more players, we shall have to milk this as Bess we can.  There really is no other way to rennet that I can see right now, if a Kaukana do better.

====================

From: PUNY <PUNY@...>
Date: Wednesday, January 6, 2016 7:44 AM
To: PUNY <PUNY@...>

Another off-the-topic FETA:

This may not be fair to our non-American friends since it concerns the 2016 presidential race.  Donald Trump, who's currently leading the Republican pack, has leveled charges that one of his main opponents may not be eligible for the presidency since he wasn't born in the United States.  In other words, he's concerned that his opponent might catch up with him in the national polls and ____________ to an easy victory in the Republican Party race.

Send your guesses to chasmwuk@....

Cynthia MacGregor

Then too, there is this:

A busy person like myself might have time to glance at an incoming riddle and, if s/he knows the answer quickly, shoot off a reply to the riddler. That's not to say she can spend hours cogitating over the possible solution if she doesn't get it right away, and that's CERTAINLY not to say that, as Lars pointed out, she can take time to devise a riddle that's, to misquote Goldilocks, not too tough and not too easy but just right. And then to answer guesses, devise clues, count letters if need be, &c.

I am more inclined to play at the Rogues even though they're tougher, but if a Rogue looks like it's gonna be a bear to solve, I'll give that a pass too. And I'll host a Rogue now and then, as much to be a good sport and an active PUNYite, although the fact that Rogues are launched on weekends is irrelevant to the equation. I work 7 days, and the Rogues carry over to Monday and even Tuesday, so the day they're posted is not, at least for me, a deciding factor.

When I DO know the answer to an F-Riiddle, it's fun to answer, hope to be first, get recognition for a Bingo, and all that. It's not good to be discouraged from sending in a guess bcs I cannot host.

And my claims of no time are legitimate. I shouldn't even be taking the time to write this note. You have NO IDEA how overwhelmed I am with work. I typically work 12-hour days and am forever just beating deadlines by the skin of my teeth. THIS IS NOT A COMPLAINT ABOUT MY WORKLOAD. I love, love, LOVE my work, but not being retired nor even in a leisurely occupation with oodles of free time, I am not in a position to spend much time playing.

I do not appreciate being barred or even dissuaded from sending in guesses just because I am legitimately not in a position to host the next game.

And now  I really need to shut the eff up and get back to work.

Cyn

From: PUNY <PUNY@...>
Date: Wednesday, January 6, 2016 7:44 AM
To: PUNY <PUNY@...>