From: Stan Kegel skegel@... [puny]
To: PUNY
Sent: Wed, Dec 9, 2015 8:02 pm
Subject: [puny] FETA RIDDLES -- Suggestion

It seems to me that we have just about finished punning every cheese that is easily recognized and as a result some of us are going off-topic while others are either finding names of minor varieties of a common cheese named by the region or country of origin or making puns where the punned and pun words new not similar to the ear. In some case, the author has had to give clues as ti where to find the answer and how to recognize it. Or the riddle is retired and the author has to try again. At the rate we are going, about 2 to 3 riddles per week, we will finish this set sometime in April or May.

We should be averaging 8 to 12 riddles per week (3 to 4 a day) and we would complete about 4 sets a year.

I would like to suggest, if the rest of you agree,that we expand FETA Riddles to include all dairy products and not just cheese. Riddles about milk, cream, butter, yogurt, dairy desserts, etc, would be on subject, and we all will be having more fun.

Your responses would be appreciated.

Stan

Chris Gross <ca_12_dozen@...>

But what if some of us are lactose intolerant??!! (I feel a pun coming ...)

I'm in for the expansion ...

CG

On Dec 9, 2015, at 9:02 PM, "Stan Kegel skegel@... [puny]" <puny@...> wrote:

[...]

James Ertner

Yes, Stan, you have a much BUTTER idea. I’m glad it ocCURD to you.

 Yes, Stan, we've MILKed this topic for all it's worth.

Charles
=========================
[...]

doug

Sure but no milk duds please

Doug
==============

[...]

Since I'm not "lacked ho's" intolerant I'd say let's hook up with this !

[...]

Nivi Engineer <niviengineer@...>

For what it's worth, FETA stands for Fine Edible Treats, Aged.
But yeah, I'm tired of staring at the cheese aisle every week seeking inspiration while I groce.

Author of 'The Indian Girl's Definitive Guide to Staying Single'

On Dec 9, 2015, at 9:41 PM, Chris Gross ca_12_dozen@... [puny] <puny@...> wrote:

[...]

Lars Hanson

Stan,

   Like all the F-Riddles to date, there should be no necessity whatsoever to follow any particular theme.  The goal always has been quickies.  An average of 3-4 per day is a reasonable goal (we actually have hit as many as 8-10 in a day when things are going well).

====================

On Dec 9, 2015 9:02 PM, "Stan Kegel skegel@... [puny]" <puny@...> wrote:

[...]

Bertrand Piboin

For you folks who need a little more help on cheese names, here’s a partial list of mostly French cheeses.  Some of them might have been used in your riddles, but I suspect most of them have yet to be punned.

From France:  ABONDANCE, BEAUFORT, BLEU D’AUVERGNE, MORBIER, CABECOU, CROTTIN DE CHAVIGNOL, CANTAL, COMTÉ, CHABICHOU, ÉPOISSES, FOURME D’AMBERT, LIVAROT, MAROILLES (probably the stinkiest cheese known to humanity), MIMOLET, MONT D’OR, NEUFCHATEL, PONT L’EVEQUE, REBLOCHON, ROCAMADOUR, ST NECTAIRE, CHAUMES, ROQUEFORT (my favorite),TOMME DE SAVOIE, DELICE DE BOURGOGNE.

Of course, there are other countries with interesting cheees: CARLSBERG, LIMBURGER, ASIAGO, MASCARPONE, PECORINO, PROVOLONE (The Wikipedia Italian list goes on forever with many variations of similar types.)

Of course, you can add some related terms like creme fraiche and rennet.

The French definitely pride themselves on the variety of cheeses they make.  I hope some of you have De Gaulle to use one of these in a FETA riddle.

From a most serious lover of cheese,

Bert

On Dec 9, 2015, at 9:44 PM, Lars Hanson parkersan2001@... [puny] <puny@...> wrote:

[...]

Cynthia MacGregor

Cheeses! That's a long list.

= = = = =

For you folks who need a little more help on cheese names, here’s a partial list of mostly French cheeses.  Some of them might have been used in your riddles, but I suspect most of them have yet to be punned.

From France:  ABONDANCE, BEAUFORT, BLEU D’AUVERGNE, MORBIER, CABECOU, CROTTIN DE CHAVIGNOL, CANTAL, COMTÉ, CHABICHOU, ÉPOISSES, FOURME D’AMBERT, LIVAROT, MAROILLES (probably the stinkiest cheese known to humanity), MIMOLET, MONT D’OR, NEUFCHATEL, PONT L’EVEQUE, REBLOCHON, ROCAMADOUR, ST NECTAIRE, CHAUMES, ROQUEFORT (my favorite),TOMME DE SAVOIE, DELICE DE BOURGOGNE.

Of course, there are other countries with interesting cheees: CARLSBERG, LIMBURGER, ASIAGO, MASCARPONE, PECORINO, PROVOLONE (The Wikipedia Italian list goes on forever with many variations of similar types.)

Of course, you can add some related terms like creme fraiche and rennet.

The French definitely pride themselves on the variety of cheeses they make.  I hope some of you have De Gaulle to use one of these in a FETA riddle.

From a most serious lover of cheese,

Bert

Stan Kegel

Bert,

I'm sure we could pun many of those, A riddle could easily be made of ABONDANCE / ABUNDANCE but I would not remember that there is a cheese called abundance the next time someone uses abundance in a discussion. Time, there is no fun having to search a long list of cheeses (or other subjects) to find something that would sound like a cheese I never heard of. Its more fun if the riddle is something you know well and you feel stupid that you did't solve the puzzle yourself when it is solved. If it were a pun on Roquefort, I would feel that way. I just saying if you have to search the internet to find a word to pun which you have never heard of before, its likely none of us have heard the word before either.  F- riddles are supposed to be rapid turnover riddles. We got to a point where they weren't.

Stan

For you folks who need a little more help on cheese names, here’s a partial list of mostly French cheeses.  Some of them might have been used in your riddles, but I suspect most of them have yet to be punned.

From France:  ABONDANCE, BEAUFORT, BLEU D’AUVERGNE, MORBIER, CABECOU, CROTTIN DE CHAVIGNOL, CANTAL, COMTÉ, CHABICHOU, ÉPOISSES, FOURME D’AMBERT, LIVAROT, MAROILLES (probably the stinkiest cheese known to humanity), MIMOLET, MONT D’OR, NEUFCHATEL, PONT L’EVEQUE, REBLOCHON, ROCAMADOUR, ST NECTAIRE, CHAUMES, ROQUEFORT (my favorite),TOMME DE SAVOIE, DELICE DE BOURGOGNE.

Of course, there are other countries with interesting cheees: CARLSBERG, LIMBURGER, ASIAGO, MASCARPONE, PECORINO, PROVOLONE (The Wikipedia Italian list goes on forever with many variations of similar types.)

Of course, you can add some related terms like creme fraiche and rennet.

The French definitely pride themselves on the variety of cheeses they make.  I hope some of you have De Gaulle to use one of these in a FETA riddle.

From a most serious lover of cheese,

[...]

My purpose of providing this list was not really serious as much it was meant to be a vehicle for a tangentially-related pun using De Gaulle’s name.  After all, De Gaulle once said, “How can you govern a country that makes 246 kinds of cheese?”

No matter how you “cut” it, cheese is a very sensory experience.

Bert

PS:  The “Carlsberg” was supposed to be “Jarlsberg”.  The spellchecker devil was once again at work.

On Dec 10, 2015, at 3:21 PM, Stanley Kegel stankegel@... [puny] <puny@...> wrote:

[...]

From France:  ABONDANCE, BEAUFORT, BLEU D’AUVERGNE, MORBIER, CABECOU, CROTTIN DE CHAVIGNOL, CANTAL, COMTÉ, CHABICHOU, ÉPOISSES, FOURME D’AMBERT, LIVAROT, MAROILLES (probably the stinkiest cheese known to humanity), MIMOLET, MONT D’OR, NEUFCHATEL, PONT L’EVEQUE, REBLOCHON, ROCAMADOUR, ST NECTAIRE, CHAUMES, ROQUEFORT (my favorite),TOMME DE SAVOIE, DELICE DE BOURGOGNE.

Of course, there are other countries with interesting cheees: CARLSBERG, LIMBURGER, ASIAGO, MASCARPONE, PECORINO, PROVOLONE (The Wikipedia Italian list goes on forever with many variations of similar types.)

Of course, you can add some related terms like creme fraiche and rennet.

The French definitely pride themselves on the variety of cheeses they make.  I hope some of you have De Gaulle to use one of these in a FETA riddle.

From a most serious lover of cheese,