Re: Rogue status & hiatus

bill crider

Yes, the F riddles were fun, but died due to lack of participation.
The Rogues have been fading for some time, and IMHO may soon suffer the same fate. We are down to only about 5 semi-regular participants. Not all of us are able to participate all the time due to other commitments. I, for example, enjoy the Rogues but have commitments every saturday all day. When I have posted Saturday morning, I have sometimes gotten angry emails from people by noon saturday because I did not respond to their guesses immediately. But even aside from that, it is always disappointing to spend hours in preparation of a rogue but have only one or two people make feeble attempts, and not be willing to host the following week (I am as guilty of this as anyone else).
Unless we can expand the membership/participation, the Rogue is doomed. Sigh.
Bill

On Sat, Mar 5, 2022 at 8:48 PM James Ertner <jde31459@...> wrote:
I always enjoyed the "F riddles." As I recall, they were quick and had many more players.

Jim

On March 5, 2022, at 7:22 PM, Lars Hanson <parkersan2001@...> wrote:

Gary,

    We now are accepting gaps??!!

    I well remember the fuss when I proposed a break over the Christmas and New Year’s holidays once…..

    Maybe it is time to find out what people would like in a riddle set….

    Ideas, anyone?

On Mar 5, 2022, at 18:48, gary hallock via groups.io <gary=hallock.net@groups.io> wrote:

In case anyone has begun to wonder about the ongoing string of fumbled, missing or erratic Rogues, here’s a detailed summary of their recent history and speculations about their probable near future…

RR #1112 was hosted by Jim Ertner on the weekend of Feb 5-6. You may recall this one was alphabetical animal-related knock-knock jokes and was claimed by Jim’s only player, me. (Reveal posted 2/10/22)

RR #1113 was hosted by GH on the weekend of Feb 12-13. There were 4 players who posted winning worksheets but no one claimed. This one was shaggy semi-daffynitions. (Reveal posted 2/22/22)

RR #1114 was again hosted by GH on the weekend of Feb 19-20 but launched on President’s day (Monday) Due to my posting blunder, I received a smaller-than-viable response. As Bill Crider was the only player, he won/claimed by default. (Reveal posted 3/6/22)

Neither of us posted a Rogue on the following weekend of Feb 26-27 and yet nobody seemed very concerned over that. And because I had an impending too-weak Euro-vacation, (March 3-17) Bill suggested that we should put the game on hold until my return.

Thus there was no rogue posted or played on the weekend of March 5-6 and none will be expected on the weekend of March 12-13.

Assuming I’m not recruited into the ranks of Ukrainian freedom fighters this next week, our best speculation is that upon my return on March 17th Bill will host #1115 that following weekend.

That targeted Rogue weekend will be March 19-20 at which time I will probably play, claim and continue my lonely solo adventure of hosting & posting while everyone else is ghosting.

Thank you for reading this far and caring thus far.

Gary (Tearless Bleeder) Hallock