#rogueriddle 1113 #RogueRiddle

James Ertner

Where are the answers to THIS one?!

Jim

On February 13, 2022, at 1:13 PM, "gary hallock via groups.io" <gary@...> wrote:

ROGUE RIDDLE #1113 - Launched Sunday, Feb 13, 2022 @12:13 central

#$#$#$#$#$#$#$#$#$#$#$#$#$#$#$#$#$#$#$#$#$#$#$#$#$#$#$#
Submit all guesses, gasps, groans and gripes directly to <gary@...>
#$#$#$#$#$#$#$#$#$#$#$#$#$#$#$#$#$#$#$#$#$#$#$#$#$#$#$#

Below is a listing of 10 target words/terms for which I have concocted some very short shaggies. While these are not, strictly speaking, daffynitions, this game will work in the same way as my previous one. Match up these 10 words/terms with the short story set-ups and fill each in as a blank.

If it helps you any, I’m okay if you merely match these words/terms to the proper numbers. However it works for you, I’ll be happy and pleased that you’ve even taken notice of my creativity.

As usual, please remember that you are under no obligation to claim if you win, so please do offer me some feedback so that I know there’s some sort of audience for this sort of foolishness. It’s starting to get pretty lonely out here in ROGUE city.

REPORTER
FORTRESSES
MANDATORY
TRUNCATE
REGENERATION
DECANTER
GRAND RAPIDS
BIFURCATE
STEW POT
ARBITRATION

1.
If you have particularly long hair, you might not want to visit just any barbershop. It’s best to have your long locks shorn in a special place that’s just BLANK.

2.
Our house faces the west and has no roof overhang, so once the blistering afternoon sun starts beating down against our house, it makes our front BLANK.

3.
A certain former Olympic athlete famously underwent sex-change surgery but now has begun experiencing some regret over the loss of an important (impotent?) body part. Doctors have suggested that with the proper doses of hormones and stem cells, it may be possible for her body to accomplish the BLANK of this missing member.

4.
During our revolutionary war, some captured British soldiers were repatriated to their homeland through a prisoner exchange program. Although this was not routinely done, if an imprisoned Redcoat was deemed to politically important enough to warrant such an exchange, our military courts occasionally might re-BLANK to the proper authorities.

5.
Dog breeders formerly sold pups by the pound but most are now faced with ethical concerns. With so many strays ending up in shelters, some civic minded breeders have voluntarily cut back on the number of mother mutts they are willing to breed. How do they arrive at a reasonable figure for the maximum number of female dogs they will breed each year? It’s a complicated process called BLANK.

6.
Although they never married, it was well known that Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn had a lengthy close romantic relationship. Spence would often give her expensive gifts but because he was an early supporter of animal rights, he would never BLANK any minks or sables.

7.
Everyone knows that tugboats are used for maneuvering large ships into their docking spaces. In a certain famous Virginia harbor, it should not be news that the local harbor pilot who actually guides a returning ship back into its berth is known as the News BLANK.

8.
Today, nearly every airline charges you for anything beyond your first carry-on. Even in the days of steamship travel, there were some restrictions on how much baggage a passenger could bring on board. Five, six or seven was okay, but some would charge you for BLANK.

9.
There are a surprising number of wine brands that have names relating to equines. Dark Horse Pinot Noir, Thoroughbred Red, Wild Horse Unbridled Chardonnay etc. Of course one must take care when serving them, as they do tend to get a bit runny. To avoid having one make a big splash right out of the gait, it’s best if you use a BLANK.

10.
The professional Michigan pianist was well noted for being able to play many difficult pieces with amazing speed. As a live performer, he became famous for pounding out these tunes on his very large instrument. Little wonder that most of his concert performances took place in his home town. These were advertised as his BLANK.