Rogue Riddle 1089 -- Winner Declared and Reveal

Lars Hanson

All,

    This week there were only three players –Gary, Jim, and Bill.  A disappointing turnout, unfortunately.

    Gary was first, and eventually solved all but four of the riddles (#1, #4, #7, and #12), submitting guesses on all but riddle #7.

   The topic for this week’s Rogue Riddle was punned on in the title, as shown below.

    As this week’s winner, the burden of hosting Rogue Riddle #1090 falls on Gary Hallock.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Rogue Riddle #1089

Three’s (Trees) a Crowd

    This week’s Rogue Riddle consists of twenty riddles, each of which has two answers.  The one exception is #13, in which both he punned and unpunned answers are the same.  For instance:

Q:  An involved punster?

A:  HANSON / HANDS ON

    The riddle will run until 5:00 p.m. EDT on Wednesday.  As usual, the first person to solve all the riddles will be declared the winner.  If no one has solved all the riddles by 5:00 p.m. EST on Tuesday, the one with the most correct answers will be declared the winner and will host Rogue Riddle #1088 next week.

    As with last week’s riddle set, the word BLANK can replace more than one word.  In other words, seeing the word BLANK does not indicate how many words should replace the word BLANK.  Further, the article preceding the word “blank” will always be “a,” never “an,” regardless of he punned word.

    The Rogue will run until 5:00 p.m. EDT on Wednesday.  As usual, the first person to solve all the riddles will be declared the winner.  If no one has solved all the riddles by 5:00 p.m. EDT on Wednesday, the one with the most correct answers will be declared the winner and will host Rogue Riddle #1090 next week.

    There is a theme, which should become obvious as one begins to solve the riddles.

    Now, on to the riddles.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

1.  Many is the time I have heard a dog make noise, but I cannot think of a single time when I heard a BLANK?

     BIRCH BARK. CANOE / BIRCH BARK.  CAN YOU?

2.  Ironically, in this eastern Mediterranean land there are only 17 square kilometers of scattered areas left where one can BLANK country’s national symbol.

      CEDAR / SEE THEIR (or SEE THE)

3.  I’m BLANK you, please leave off the trembling!

      ASPEN / ASKIN’

4.  The man was outraged when he discovered the seedling she had purchased to grow railroad ties would not grow to usable size for three quarters of a century.  “BLANK!” he exclaimed to the salesman.

       EUCALYPTUS / YOU CLIPPED US

5.  One BLANK syrup from these.

      MAPLE / MAY PULL

6.  It seems that Ms. Streisand has avoided wearing feathery neckwear lest she be called BLANK.

      BOABABS / BOA BABS

7.  Wouldn’t it be appropriate if this grower were elected to the municipal assembly or council?  After all, he is a BLANK.

      ALDER MAN / ALDERMAN

8.  He presented the smoker with a receptacle -- from a BLANK, naturally.

      ASH TREE / ASH TRAY

9.  He jilted her in the coniferous forest, driving away and leaving her stranded.  Yes, she had been BLANK.

       LEFT IN THE LARCH / LEFT IN THE LURCH

10.  There are rumors that one French newspaper has a refreshing citrus scent as the paper on which it is printed comes from BLANK.

        LEMON TREE / LE MONDE TREE

11.  Hero waited anxiously for her lover, but finding his dead body, cried “BLANK!” and cast herself from the tower to join him.

        OLEANDER / OH, LEANDER

12.  The town decided to penalize pet owners for each instance in which their pets caused excessive noise by chaining their pets to a plant.  What plant might that be?  Quite obviously, a BLANK.

        PAPERBARK TREE / PAY-PER-BARK TREE

13.  The growing of BLANK trees is kept easily in hand.

        PALM / PALM

14.  Sri Lankan lovers often hold their trysts in the local spice tree groves, having found it most convenient to BLANK.

        CINNAMON TREES/ SIN AMONG TREES

15.  The elastic in her garments was chafing – it would BLANK the wrong way.

       RUBBER / RUB HER

16.  A BLANK is one many people like.

        POPLAR TREE / POPULAR TREE

17.  Craftsmen have discovered that a BLANK make the best container.

      BOXWOOD / BOX WOULD

18.  I thought I would die if I could not get the Mediterranean fruit, but it turns out BLANK.
        OLIVE / I’LL LIVE

19.  The yacht’s wheel had been beautifully crafted by a friend, and so it was he took pride at being at the BLANK.

        ELM / HELM

20.  Just as it seemed the pandemic had peaked, along came the delta variant, which made us BLANK.

         SYCAMORE / SICK MORE (or SICKER MORE)

    Thank you all for playing.

    Take it away with Rogue Riddle #1090, Gary!