Gregg blew away the competition this week, and will host Rogue Riddle #1045 next week. Gregg kept at it with admirable perseverance and solved all but one riddle (#11). The final standings are as follows:
The final riddle status is as follows:
Clue Set #1:
Letter counts for the first four unanswered riddles are provided.
Clue Set #2:
Letter counts for the remaining five unanswered riddles are provided.
Clue Set #3:
Letter counts for the six riddles which have only been answered once or twice are provided below.
Clue Set #4:
Letter counts for the remaining riddles plus clues for the five unanswered riddles are provided below.
Q: Though I may sound like something for an axle, actually I am a country. What am I?
A: GREECE / GREASE
1. A game of hurriedly written words.
SCRIBBLE / SCRABBLE
2. A game in which sailors try to discover who tied a line to the corner of a sail.
CLEW / CLUE
3. A war game played with breath mints.
TICTACS II / TACTICS II
4. A towering game for toppling vociferous super-patriots.
JINGO / JENGA
5. A game of musical instruments sliding among the dimly illuminated areas.
LUTES AND SHADOWS / CHUTES AND LADDERS
6. A children’s’ game of clumsiness.
OAFISH / GO FISH
7. A card game about male red deer.
HARTS / HEARTS
8. A card game named for a strange donkey?
RUM JENNY / GIN RUMMY
9. A game in which the players try to cover holes in fabric simply.
PATCH EASY / PACHISI (or PARCHEESI, which was the trade name)
10. The challenge here is to carry dinner on a tray without spilling any.
MEAL BORNE / MILLE BORNES
11. Collecting an artificial sweetener.
TRUVIAL PURSUIT / TRIVIAL PURSUIT.
12. A game wrapped in a piece of Indian clothing.
SARI / SORRY
13. A game to begin thinking about oneself.
START EGO / STRATEGO
14. A game of indelicacy.
RISQUE / RISK
15. A game to arrest a stoned criminal.
MAN COLLAR / MANCALA.
16. A game of becoming a pop singer’s helpers through pantomimes.
CHER AIDES / CHARADES
17. A game about a lousy massage.
CRUMMY RUB / RUMMIKUB
18. A card game about neutered animals.
SPAYEDS / SPADES
19. A card game in a metal tin.
CANISTER / CANASTA
20. A Danish island gambling card game.
FARØ or FAROE / FARO
Thanks to all who played.
Take it away Gregg with Rogue Riddle #1045 next week! Well played!