Rogue Riddle 1044 - Status and Clue Set 4 - #RogueRiddle

Lars Hanson

All,

    Gregg continues to whittle away at this week’s Rogue Riddle set, increasing his lead over Gary.  The current standings are as follows:

    The current standings are as follows:

Gregg (70%) – 14 kills (1-4, 6-9, 12, 14, 16, 18-20)

Gary H. (57.5%) -- 11 kills  (1-7, 12, 16, 18, 20) plus one partial (11)

Adam (47.5%) – 9 kills (1, 3-5, 8, 12, 16,  18, and 20) plus one partial on 6

Jim (5%) -- 1 kill  (12)

    The current riddle status is as follows:

4 correct – 1:  12

3 correct – 6:  1, 3, 4, 16, 18, 20

2 correct – 5:  2, 5, 6, 7, 8

1 correct – 3: 9, 14, 19

0 correct – 5: 10, 11, 13, 15, 17

No guesses –1: 15

Hints:

The answers are all regular puns (homonyms, like daffynitions) with two Spoonerisms.

There are no oblique set-ups – each set-up provides the information for the answer (as one would expect for daffynitions).

The wording of the set-ups is selected quite specifically and carefully (as usual for my riddles) – paying attention to the information in the set-up pays off here.

Clue Set #1:

    Letter counts for the first four unanswered riddles are provided.

Clue Set #2:

    Letter counts for the remaining five unanswered riddles are provided.

Clue Set #3:

    Letter counts for the six riddles which have only been answered once or twice are provided below.

Clue Set #4:

    Letter counts for the remaining riddles plus clues for the five unanswered riddles are provided below.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Rogue Riddle #1044
The Game’s A-Foot . . .

    One solution to ease being cooped up is to engage in some bored games,  or perhaps some scarred, or maybe to chop up the time with some diced games.  And that is this week’s theme.  The challenge:  Name these games.

    As usual, this week’s Rogue Riddle consists of twenty riddles.  Each riddle has two answers which sound similar.  Both answers are required for full credit.  Most of these are very easy one-word answers, but there are one or two “4.0 busters” in the mix.

   Example:

Q:  Though I may sound like something for an axle, actually I am a country.  What am I?

A:  GREECE / GREASE

    As always, effort has gone into the setup wording to provide necessary clues.

    Since this is a long weekend, the riddle will run one day longer, until 5:00 p.m. EDT on Wednesday.  As usual, the first person to solve all the riddles will be declared the winner and will host Rogue Riddle 1045 next week.  If no one has solved all the riddles by 5:00 p.m. EDT on Wednesday, the one with the most correct answers will be declared the winner.

    Now, on to the riddles.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

1.  A game of hurriedly written words.

     (8 / 8)

2.  A game in which sailors try to discover who tied a line to the corner of a sail.

      (4 / 4)

3.  A war game played with breath mints.

      (7, 2 / 7, 2)

4.  A towering game for toppling vociferous super-patriots.

      (5 / 5)

5.  A game of musical instruments sliding among the dimly illuminated areas.

      (5, 3, 7 / 6, 3, 7)

6.  A children’s’ game of clumsiness.

      (6 / 2, 4)

7.  A card game about male red deer.

      (5 / 6)

8.  A card game named for a strange donkey?

      (3, 5 / 3, 5)

9.  A game in which the players try to cover holes in fabric simply.

      (5, 4 / 7 or 9)

10.  The challenge here is to carry dinner on a tray without spilling any.

        (4, 4 / 5, 6)

        This French card game was a milestone of its own.

11.  Collecting an artificial sweetener.

        (7, 7 / 7, 7)

       Stevia is involved in this chase, but not in the answer.

12.  A game wrapped in a piece of Indian clothing.

       (4 / 5)

13.  A game to begin thinking about oneself.

       (5, 3 / 8)

       I spy a bomb being marshaled  in this game of memory

14.  A game of indelicacy.

        (6 / 4)

15.  A game to arrest a stoned criminal.

       (3, 6 / 7)

       A category of two-player games played with stones or beans placed in pits.   What’s another slang term word for “nab” or “apprehend?”  This one probably is the toughest of the lot.

16.  A game of becoming a pop singer’s helpers through pantomimes.

        (4, 5 / 8)

17.  A game about a lousy massage.

        (6, 3 / 8)

        A Spoonerism on a tile-based game combining elements of rummy and mahjong.

18.  A card game about neutered animals.

       (7 / 6)

19.  A card game in a metal tin.

       (8 / 7)

20.  A Danish island gambling card game.

        (4 or 5 / 4)

    As always, it would be great to see some new faces this week!

    Please remember to ensure your answers are directed to me.  You should be able just to hit “Reply” (thanks, Norm!),  but to be certain you may address all guesses, surmises, suppositions, estimates, conjectures, SWAG’s, stabs, pokes, and other such directly to me at:

parkersan2001@...

    To avoid public guesses (guesses posted to the PUNY list instead of guesses sent to the host), please ensure your guesses are addressed to me at the address above.