Rogue Riddle 1042 Checkin' Satays WARNING OF IMPENDING DROPPAGE #RogueRiddle

gregg siegel

Puzzle 1042: Checkin’ Satays

Hi, I’m new in town. I spent way too much time working on Puzzle 1041, neglecting my work, my family and basic standards of hygiene, and, as a result, I evidently identified the most correct answers. To my surprise, the first place prize was getting to create the next puzzle. What’s the second place prize, getting to create the next two puzzles? Seriously, ya’ll couldn’t have sprung for a $5 Starbucks giftcard? A bag of scrumptious fruit-flavored PASTILLEs even?

Joking aside, I’m actually delighted that Europin’ me in to do this, and although I can’t guarantee that African good time will be had by all, or by anybody actually, Asia sure you that I worked with incontinent enthusiasm and did my best to ensure that you enjoy many, many minutes of entertaining frustration.

To keep everything on a level playing field, I’ve already received a question and I will answer it publicly for the edification of all. A contestant wrote: “So. Americans are not allowed to do this?” My answer: “No. Americans are certainly welcome, as are participants from every country.” Invite everybody and their uncle—indeed, if your uncle’s clever, your Aunt artica-ulate, invite them aboard. Cousins too.

As I noted, this is my first time, so I’m aware Austrailing some of you in experience by multiple hundreds of puzzles. But look, I hope you’ll be urbane and not call the puzzle polis on any inadvertent faux pas or at phalts, pun gals and guys, and give me a chance to perform this civic duty.

So here goes. These are world cities. Big ones, mostly. Cities on all seven continents are represented, although cities can be a relative term, and equal time has not at all been given, with my having missed out on travel to one particular continent this summer and being therefore in a state of pine.

The answer is the correctly spelled name of the city, nothing more; if you supply it, I will assume that you have identified and been forced to endure the pun and I see no reason for you to suffer further. Also note that in each case the sounds of the city are approximate, and, as best as a monoglot can so ensure, match up reasonably well with the sounds of the clue. Of course, it will not always be 100% perfect, so relax, don’t be a Greenwich meany ti-me, or to anyone. It’s no bigeez, eh?

Now, sharpen your metaphorical pencils and your literal wits, take a big a-pull on a beverage of your choice, and sit, ease into this one...

Look for a baker’s denizen to drop at roughly the local time that the ball drops in New York or the London clock bongs twelve.