Re: Whither -- or Wither? Seriously....

doug

I'm with Kirk and tend to agree
The riddles aren't what they used to be
But instead of end
Why not suspend...
Just don't pull the Rogue out from under me!

Doug
==================
One Sagan,

   So, why the change?  Did you get bored with the riddles?  More interested in other things?

    And yes, I shall get me to as punnery with trumpets — a toot suite, if you will.

On Apr 30, 2020, at 18:33, One Sagan via groups.io <one_sagan@...> wrote:

Whatever you decide to do is fine with me. I used to be an avid participant once upon a time, but no longer.
After your soliloquy you do realize that somebody here is going to say, "Get thee to a punnery." But I won't say it.

Here I am One Sagan

On Thursday, April 30, 2020, 05:22:10 PM UTC, Lars Hanson <parkersan2001@...> wrote:

To ask, or not to ask, that is the question:
Whether tis nobler on the list to suffer
The slings and arrows of outragèd Gary
Or to take action against a growing apathy
And by opposing end them?  To cease, to stop –
No more – and by a stop to say we end
The efforts and the thousand notional puns
The list is heir to:  ‘tis a dissolution
Devoutly to be wished.  To cease, to stop,
To stop, perchance to reap:  ay, there’s the rub!
For in that death of riddles what might one reap
When fearless leader finds them gone
Must give us pause:  that’s the aspect
That makes calamity of so long a life,
For who would bear the whips and scorns of list,
The leader’s wrath, the disappointed players,
The loss of riddle sets, the game’s decay,
The absence of guesses and loss of riddle turns
The patient cluing of unworthy takes,
When riddler might his answers make
By simply ceasing?  Who would these burdens bear
By sweat of brow -- the riddler’s weary
But the force of custom weighs upon us all.

    But seriously, a question ....

    This week's Rogue Riddle will mark just under 19.6 years of Rogue Riddles. That's quite a long history.  In fact, there have been over twenty years of riddling on the PUNY list.  Before the Rogue Riddles began, several players among us played with a riddle chain, off-list but similar to what eventually evolved into the Rogue Riddles.

    Lately, however, participation has declined noticeably.  The usual suspects are guessing less and less, and desultorily at best.   Kirk Miller and I have produced the last several riddles alternately between us, with few players competing each time.  As a result, Kirk and I have discussed the fact that it appears the Rogue Riddles may have seen their day and it now is time to stop.

    What is the sense of those on the list about discontinuing the Rogue Riddles after this weekend's  Rogue Riddle #1022 has been played?

--
Doug Spector