Punsters United Nearly Yearly (P.U.N.Y.) Group FAQ / Guidelines Monthly Post #guidelines

main@puny.groups.io Group Moderators <main@...>

Punsters United Nearly Yearly (P.U.N.Y.) Group
Frequently Asked Questions / Group Guidelines

Written and maintained by Lee Jackson
PUNY group Administrangler

Document created December 13, 2003
Revision 1.0 created February 6, 2004
Current Revision (2.2) created January 4, 2020

Table of Contents

I. Group Description
II. Common Questions
III. Rogue Riddles
IV. Web Addresses and Contact Information
V. Trademark and Copyright Information / End

I. Group Description

Punsters United Nearly Yearly (P.U.N.Y.) is a small, unofficial group, formed in 1990 to assist the O. Henry Home and Museum in Austin, TX. Specifically, we help coordinate and present the museum's largest fundraiser each year, the annual O. Henry Pun-Off World Championships.

The O. Henry Home and Museum is actually inside the house in which the famous short story author William Sydney Porter (a.k.a. O. Henry) lived while in Austin. The house is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

The Pun-Off helps to provide operating and renovation funds for the museum. In the process, we provide free entertainment for over 1,000 spectators each year, collecting funds through raffles, book sales, and audience donations during the event. The Pun-Off is also an event that allows the most twisted minds in the country, P.U.N.Y. members and otherwise, a chance to show just how far the English language can be bent without breaking.

The P.U.N.Y. group was hosted on Yahoo! Groups for what seems like an eternity. It was transitioned to Groups.io beginning on October 18, 2019, and was officially opened for discussion on Groups.io on November 4, 2019.

Discussions shall include and mostly be limited to P.U.N.Y. status announcements, pun challenges and discussions, and basically anything pun-related. Non-pun discussions and discussions about the annual O. Henry World Championships should be taken to the Miss Elainey subgroup.

NOTE: Some messages may contain mildly mature subject matter. Parental discretion is advised. Please keep things at least at a PG level if you join. ;)

Please note that messages posted by new members are moderated at first. This was made necessary by a number of inconsiderate spammers. Also, please note that the moderator reserves the right to reject and/or ban anyone who applies for membership. This is again for anti-spam purposes, so if you join with a member name that looks like a spammer address, you might be banned without notice. If you are a legitimate user and you experience problems with any of this, please notify the group Administrangler.

II. Common Questions

Q. I'm getting duplicate messages. Can you help me stop this?

A. Sure! From the Groups.io FAQ: "To turn off duplicate emails, log into your account. Then look for the dropdown in the top right corner of the page, which will be either your name or email address. Click that and then click Account. From your Account page, click the Preferences sidebar tab. Look for the 'I always want copies of my own messages' checkbox and uncheck that. Then click the Update Preferences button."

Q. How do I set up a signature for my account?

A. Again, quoting from the Groups.io FAQ: "To set a signature for your account, go to the Subscription page for your group (it's the 'Subscription' tab in the left hand sidebar when viewing your group). On the subscription page, look for the 'Use Signature For Web Posting' checkbox and check that. Then you will be able to add a signature. Once complete, click the Save button at the bottom of the page to save your changes."

Q. Where is this magical Groups.io FAQ you keep quoting?

A. I'm glad you asked. It's at https://groups.io/static/help#faq . You can always access the Groups.io help system by clicking on the Help button in the upper right corner of the screen when you're logged in to your Groups.io account.

III. Rogue Riddles

By far, the most popular feature of the PUNY list is the Rogue Riddle. As of this writing, riddle number 1000 had just finished. For a smooth experience, there are a few guidelines you should follow:

1. Don't use a # symbol in front of the number of the riddle (e.g., #1001) in your topic line. Only use the # symbol for hashtags (see item number 2 below). If you use the # symbol in your topic line, your message will be bounced back to you. Remove the offending # symbol and re-send.

2. *DO* put a #RogueRiddle hashtag somewhere in your new topic line. Groups.io will read this and will direct all replies to you, and not to the group, assuring that there are no public guesses.

3. When you are ready to discuss the answers, start up another new topic from scratch, *without* the #RogueRiddle hashtag in the topic line. This way, discussion of the answers will go to the group and not to you.

4. DON'T try and use variations on the spelling of #RogueRiddle as your hashtag. Is #ROGUERIDDLE# correct? No. Is #Rogue Riddle correct? No, and in fact it's so wrong the system will kick back your message to you.

     i. THERE IS BUT ONE TRUE SPELLING OF #RogueRiddle - ALL OTHERS ARE FALSEHOODS.

5. DON'T ANNOY THE ADMINISTRANGLER BY IGNORING THE ROGUE RIDDLE GUIDELINES. HE WILL EAT YOU.

IV. Web Addresses and Contact Information

Here are a couple of PUNY and O.Henry Museum related websites of interest:

http://punpunpun.com
http://www.austintexas.gov/department/o-henry-museum
https://www.facebook.com/groups/punoff/
https://www.facebook.com/PUNYPAGE/
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O._Henry_Pun-Off

Here are the group e-mail addresses:

Post: main@puny.groups.io
Subscribe: main+subscribe@puny.groups.io
Group Owner: main+owner@puny.groups.io
Help: main+help@puny.groups.io

V. Trademark and Copyright Information / End

This FAQ created with VEDIT Pro (64-bit).
VEDIT is Copyright © 1990-2015 (probably later) Greenview Data, Inc.

All other trademarks used or referred to in this FAQ are the property of their respective owners.

Lee Jackson, PUNY group Administrangler
https://puny.groups.io/g/main/