Cyn is this week’s winner, having solved half the riddles. She will host Rogue Riddle #1004 next week.
The answers are below.
Rogue Riddle 1003
‘Tis the Season
The holidays are close upon us, so what better topic for this week’s Rogue Riddle?
As usual this week’s Rogue consists of twenty riddles, all on the same theme. In each case the word “BLANK” is used simply as a placeholder – it does not necessarily indicate the number of words involved in the answer.
Q: Robert E’s king?
A: LEE’S MAJESTY (lese majesty or majesté)
The riddles include straight puns, daffynitions, and Spoonerisms. Which is which is up to you to determine. Full credit for all of these requires both the punned and unpunned answers.
As always, remember that the wording of each riddle generally has been carefully chosen both to provide clues and to avoid the use of any words in the answer.
The riddle will run until 5:00 p.m. EST on Tuesday. As usual, the first person to solve all the riddles will be declared the winner. If no one has solved all the riddles by 5:00 p.m. EDT on Tuesday, the one with the most correct answers will be declared the winner and will host Rogue Riddle 1004 next week.
Now, on to the riddles.
NO L / NOEL
2. Because she had no real signing voice, this famous actress intoned the season’s songs rather than singing them. Who was she?
CAROL CHANTING / CAROL CHANNING
3. The serial killer loved the thought of this particular traditional winter activity. What was it?
SLAY RIDES / SLEIGH RIDES
4. Part of the contracts for all the North Pole workers required them to be of sound mind. Of course, this provision was known as the BLANK.
SANITY CLAUSE / SANTA CLAUS
5. What actress was noted for trimming trees?
JUDY GARLAND. / JUDY GARLAND
6. The season is celebrated with plants with red petals and trees with red berries and spiky leaves. Perhaps that is why the end of the year is called the BLANK.
HOLLY DAYS / HOLIDAYS
7. The sheep approaches the year’s final celebrations. Yep, BLANK BLANK.
EWE NEARS NEW YEAR’S
8. If you can imagine it, a traditional display for the season is a dance by overweight plumbers called BLANK.
The BUTTCRACKER BALLET / NUTCRACKER BALLET
9. A dozen noblemen were keeping vigil that eve, but only two managed to remain awake for the night. Indeed, by dawn there were BLANK.
TEN LORDS A-SLEEPING / TEN LORDS A-LEAPING
10. The colt was born, but the mare could provide no milk, so human had to step in. In Christmas tradition, that colt became the BLANK.
NURSED FOAL / FIRST NOEL
11. When he was very young, the man who eventually was to become a noted Confederate general had a very eventful Christmas. His father, a sailor, was home, decorating the tree when the dog hit the ladder he was on and all came tumbling to the ground. And thus BLANK.
FRLL LEE’S NAVY DAD / FELIZ NAVIDAD
12. One song honors blackbirds. Yes it is BLANK.
FOR COLLEY BIRDS / FOUR COLLEY BIRDS
(The current lyric has degenerated to “four calling birds,” but the original was “four colley (i.e., coal-y) birds,” or blackbirds.)
13. George spent his life as a gravedigger. He dug holes, then filled them back in, day after day, week after week, year after year. It seemed he had always done, from the time he was very young. Perhaps it was George’s pail he always carried around as a child, along with his little shovel. No one knew exactly why he got but everyone in his town knew they would not have gotten along without him. So great was his fame that Hollywood made a movie a movie about this dedicated man and his toils in soils. Quite naturally it was called a BLANK.
ONE DIRT-FILLED LIFE / WONDERFUL LIFE
14. Each year the apparition wrapped itself around the seasonal door decoration. That was only natural, as the spirit was a BLANK.
15. If athletes get athlete’s foot, and tennis players get tennis elbow, what do rocketeers get?
MISSILE TOE / MISTLETOE
16. The German was old and he was developing dementia. He often forget to put his clothes on and would wander about naked. Each year people would sing a carol to him – BLANK.
GO DRESS, YOU GERRY MENTAL MAN / GOD REST YE MERRY GENTLEMEN
17. What well known carol asks faithful people to give talks at vegetarian eateries?
ADDRESS TOFU DELIS / ADESTE FIDELES
18. What is the difference between a fireplace component and an ornate chair for the lead movie actor? One is a BLANK and the other is a BLANK.
HEARTHSTONE / STAR THRONE
19. During the season, Der Crosby used to keep his hair in place with what products?
BINGLE GELS / JINGLE BELLS
20. Although it has since become a classic, the movie about George initially was a failure when it was released. Perhaps it was regarded as just too tritely maudlin. The reason might well have been the astrological sign under which it was released. It seems it as just dismissed as a bit of BLANK.
CAPRA CORN / CAPRICORN
Thank you all got playing!
Take it away, Cyn!
Merry Christmas and happy and safe holidays to you all!