Re: PUNY FAQs

gary hallock

Not wanting to add fuel to a fire but punamok was NOT designed for chatter about the pun-off. It was for chatter about things related to language, grammar and a variety of historical and cultural discussions that often cropped up as a result of a punning thread. Rather than slowing down or derailing a livelyn wordplay thread, it was felt that a parallel discussion might thrive and be better appreciated in a sans puns forum.

I believe the other subgroup was called punoff, This was the one that we supposedly would use to discuss the annual O.Henry event and pretty much anything else that qualified as shop talk regarding punning competitions. (Strategy, hotels, partys, travel etc.)

In both cases the idea was to keep the PUNY mainstream flowing with puns and punny banter only. My vision was/is that we need our public face to be Very lighthearted and free form, not being sidetracked by something that would obviously appeal to a hard core punster who is not deep into our culture.

How important either of these subgroups really in modern times is hard to measure. It is logical to have something distinctively different, such as the L&H list. The value of other such subgroups may not seem immediately obvious to us these days when we do have other alternatives for communicating (texting, Facebook, instagram etc.)

I will leave it to you (Lee) to judge whether or not we need to re-create the exact subgroups or what their purpose allegedly is. If there’s extra expense or tedious effort involved, I’d vote against it. On the other hand, there are times when I do wish we could keep at least one alternate channel open for these potential “side trips.” They do seem to happen now and then.

Gary

On Dec 4, 2019, at 5:38 PM, Lee Jackson <LeeJackson@...> wrote:

Yes, I think you're misreading me. I understand that the Pun-Off traffic was moved off to the Pun-Amok group.

What I tried to say is the following:

  • It's okay by me to keep the Pun-Off traffic here on PUNY.
  • I understand that some people may not be okay with that.
  • The point has been raised that Pun-Amok is no longer needed.

If there are others reading this who believe that we should re-establish Pun-Amok as a subgroup of PUNY, please speak up. I'm all ears.

On 12/4/2019 4:39 AM, Lars Hanson wrote:
Lee,

    To be clear here:

    Yes, of course punning has always been okay on the PUNY group!  It has been the core purpose of the group, in fact.

    What was moved off PUNY was the traffic supporting the Annual Pun-Off.   That gave rise to Pun-Amok.

    Your note seems to have reversed those two positions, but I may be misreading your reply.

On Dec 4, 2019, at 04:17, Lee Jackson <leejackson@...> wrote:

As far as Pun-Amok goes, didn't Gary say we didn't need that anymore?

For the PUNY description, I'll consider updating it, but as far as I'm concerned, any discussion related to punning, including the P-OWC, has always been OK here in this group. It has been others who have wanted to take it elsewhere, and I'm okay with that - I'm just saying I believe it's equally OK here..

On 12/2/2019 8:42 PM, Lars Hanson wrote:
Hi, Lee!

    Indeed, my first effort included the hashtag in the subject line.  Groups.io told me that, so I removed all hashtags from my second attempt.  That, too, bounced, apparently because of the similarity of the subject line, or perhaps because of the inclusion of the word “guidelines” in the subject line.  At that point I changed the subject line entirely and the post went through.

    My point (apparently too obliquely expressed) was that the group description for PUNY seemed to be the original description from when PUNY was launched.

   I then tried to review some of the group history, just to show how and when the various splinters were s-pun off.

    PUNY has been moved to groups.io.  No problem.

    Limericks-n-Haiku is now a PUNY subgroup in groups.io and has a group description.  Again no problem.

    What struck me in going through the history, though, was that the group supporting the annual Pun-Off became PUN-AMOK, leaving the PUNY group as a group for exchanging puns.

    If PJNY is for exchanging puns, then perhaps the group description needs to be updated.

    In addition, to support and coordinate the annual Pun-Off it might be worthwhile establishing a Pun-Amok subgroup for doing that, along with a group description along the lines of the description currently being used for the PUNY group.

    Is that any clearer?

    Hope this helps....

On Dec 2, 2019, at 20:11, Lee Jackson <leejackson@...> wrote:

First off, I have discovered what happened with your message, Lars. Groups.io created a special hashtag called #guidelines for our group (I imagine that's standard procedure) when it sent out the monthly FAQ. This hashtag has a couple of things going for it in its settings:

  • Its effects only last on that topic for a month.
  • It can only be used by Moderators.
  • It can only be replied to by Moderators.

So, in this case, you must have somehow created a new subject line on your third try. That's what got your message through. (Note that I have *disabled* this "feature" so that everyone can reply to the FAQ/guidelines in the future.)

Now, to address the meat on your plate, there was a discussion to bring back PunAmok as a subgroup, but that was tabled. It's now too late to do the Easy Groups Transfer, so we'd have to set it up from scratch. Is that what you're wanting?

As for L&H, I'm not sure what you're wanting, but if it's a FAQ of its own, that's entirely doable. Just establish the document and I'll set it up as a "guidelines" document on your subgroup. Then, once every month, L&H will get its own mailout.

Unless ... you're wanting to include the existence of L&H in the PUNY FAQ? Is that what you want? I guess I could give a nod for the members who had to join PUNY to get to L&H, but I'd rather L&H have its own separate FAQ, not one FAQ that encompasses both groups. Is that what you were talking about?

On 12/2/2019 10:44 AM, Lee Jackson wrote:

I don't know what happened with the bouncing - at least you got it through. I'll investigate/castigate, then answer at a later date since I just got back from a doctor's office date.

On 12/1/2019 1:04 PM, Lars Hanson wrote:
Unbelievably, this is the third attempt to get this message through!

    The first attempt was a simple reply.  This was rejected because of the hashtag in the subject line.

    The second attempt removed "#guidelines" from the subject line and was sent without any hashtags.  This, too, was rejected because of a hashtag (#) supposedly having been included in the subject line, although there was no such hashtag!  Nor were there any hashtags on the message at all!

    This third attempt has no hashtags in the text or in the subject, and the subject line has been altered entirely.  We shall see if it gets through . . . .

    However, that may be serendipitous, as it has allowed me to expand and amend the text a bit, below.