Re: Rogue Riddle 998 results - Crock and Bull Story

joseph h

Aye, well, Norman Bie I don't know, Norman Dee might have got me at least across the English Channel [Ce nes pas le Channel Francais - ou La Channel Francaise]. I have, however, been dashing Hither and thither - end even whither; whether wether, despite the bad weather, might have connected with my current state of sense, I don't know. The matter was, after all, fowl play. I was in a lather and would have asked my father, but the medium is out of town.
Though never stoned at Henge, I was?? member of the Avebury Circle*.

Joseph *In an ancient UK Parliamentary by-election, the winning candidate was Eric Lubbock, and the by-election itself a "famous victory". I knew Lubbock and travelled on the train with him - he to parliament, I to the FT. Later Lubbock inherited a title from a cousin - Lord Avebury, originally held by the discoverer of the Avebury circle - which is a bunch of ancient monoliths; and that more or less also describes the political party, of which I was an active member in my time of foolish youth.

On 20/11/2019 5:01 am, portagecreek wrote:
Bingo to Gary.

As you know by now this was indeed planned to be a Crock and Bull story. Actually it started as a circle story on an old Gospel song and kept getting bigger.

What a Crock results:

Notice that the words head and chop never appear in the setup. I was talking about taking brains and upper extremities off of chickens and the market where you could buy crocks of high inducing product was a HEADS CHOP/ HEAD SHOP.

Not one guesser got this one, but everyone that tried got the location-
STONE HENS/ STONEHENGE.

Congrats Cyn, Gary, Lars, and Aaron for the easy bingos on one that I had intended to lure in Joseph.

#############################

Ain't My Forced Rodeo hints:

Aaron had the song but failed to figure why I named the rider Norman Bie. Lets see if groups.io lets us share links:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bRJLkNqNXI

Never used the bull word either. So William was a sir cow. WILL THE SIR COW BE UNBROKEN ... BY N BIE.

The bull also figured into the last and easy ( I thought) last one. It was a NO BULL PRIZE/ NOBEL PRIZE. Everyone got a clue about the metal clunky-clangy thing that they hang on the bottom of the hold rope. It is a bull bell. So extra points for NOBELL PRIZE.

This was Gary's error. Guessing on this one got him the win.

All the stuff that went out on the rogue:

The major action today was that Aaron got a clean set of bingos on one of the puns and is also now the only person that has the title of the gospel song. Now the question - is he as weird at punning as I and can fill in the other side of the / ?. He has the first word.

So far Gary is in front with two kills and Aaron right behind with one kill and a partial. Cyn and Lars have each made one bingo. Actually everyone so far has recognized the one I put in to lure Joseph. No Uncle Joe, though.

No more group clues and hints on the rogue, but I will provide both on guesses.

What has gone before on this rogue:

There are just four riddles to solve here regardless of all the red herrings and shaggy story line about them in the set up. Three were meant to be fairly easy and one more difficult. Two of the more obvious ones have already been solved by one or more players - so let us simplify the difficult one.

If you reread the entire setup below you can boil it down to this question:

Is William, the male gendered bovine, going to be beaten by a cowboy named Norman Bie or not? This is an attempted pun on a very well know song I would classify as Gospel, but has been performed and recorded by many different artists and groups over nearly a century.

Now the big hint. This song is related to one of the easy puns in the What a Crock story.

everything else you need to know is below

Cyn chicks in with the first correct, but not complete answer; so I won't hint away her advantage. Going for the first set of puns, when I was growing up on the farm we needed two tools when we were about to dispatch chickens - an axe and a wood block. I imagine that quite a few turkeys will meat their fate the same way in the necks few weeks.

Now consider how they cooked up the thc ( in a crock pot or a pot crock ). Wonder where you buy one of those?

Remember now you can just hit reply to the Rogue Riddle and the hashtag will send it to me or send to gypsywagon@...

RR #998

This will be a more traditional rogue. There are several attempts at pun setups within the two stories indicated by BLANKS.. For each please provide the pun and unpuned versions.

The first to get all or the player with the most by Tuesday 12:00 PM gets to host the gateway to #1000.

Please respond to gypsywagon@... or assuming I did this correctly Lee's hashtag will just work and you actually can hit reply

What a Crock!

In a classic case of mistaken history a famous English landmark has become both misunderstood and misnamed. It turns our that neolithic farmers gathered at this location to sell their home grown produce and wares consisting mainly of chickens and cannabis. They evolved a ritual where chickens foraged on the weed and since it concentrated in the brains they then cut of their heads and slowly cooked them in earthenware containers aptly named crock pots. This crack pot theory was substantiated by finding that people traveled to this location both to witness the execution and then purchase and consume the high producing mixture in a circular market that became the first BLANK BLANK/ BLANK BLANK.

Later in time the circular market became named for the method of preparing the chickens for the beheading which was first to BLANK BLANK/BLANK BLANK.

(next story even though the last was the necks story)

This Ain't My Forced Rodeo

Did you know that Cary Grant made a fortune in the cattle business, first in feed and then in rodeo stock. Not wanting his name to be associated with Westerns he named the feed company Jude. They sold premium bales as Hey Jude which was later renamed Jude Hay, Jude Hay, Jude Hay. Cary bought and raised rodeo stock like many of his fellow actors did race horses. Eventually he came to own a hybrid Brahma named William and known to throw every attempted rider season after season. Cary was known for carefully picking events so William would draw inferior riders, but eventually the rodeo association demanded that he make William available for a championship featuring the reigning bucking champion one Norman Bie. This was indeed Cary's forced rodeo. In the highly anticipated event the crowd began to buzz as Norman and William approached the chute. The murmuring anticipating the contest sounded much like the title to an old gospel song which was LOTS OF BLANKS/LOTS OF BLANKS.

Unfortunately Mr Grant was so concerned that William would be defeated that he withdrew him just before he was mounted. Since Norman could not compete the association provided compensation equivalent to the winners purse which became known as the BLANK BLANK/BLANK BLANK BLANK.

That's it. Fill in the blanks and win a prize.

Gary Reeves
gypsywagon@...