Re: Rogue Riddle 997 - I made a small error --but it's no typo

joseph h

On printers' ink you may be lacking,

In Britland we say post and packing.

Sending items to and fro

[though method now is rather slow]

Your inking term is shipping and packing.

For historic you use historical,

A puffing that sends me hysterical.

Elevator instead of lift

And escalate for raise - I'm miffed.

Watch space for many more, I'm stacking...

Joseph

======

My dear, you and the OED are both Brits, and on your side of the pond, indeed “judgement” is the correct spelling, just like “acknowledgement,” which we Yanks spell without the first “e.” But when we won the war of 1776 we broke free of British rule and also British rules, including rules of spelling. We also omit the “u” of “colour” (which my Spellcheck has just underlined in red to tell me I spelled it wrong) and “favour.” We Yanks are an independent lot, don’t you know? And think of the money—that’’s dollars, not pounds—we’ve saved on printer ink over the years by not having to print those unnecessary “e”s and “u”s.

Cyn

Make it a splendiferous day!

Cynthia ("Cyn") MacGregor

From: PUNY <puny@groups.io> on behalf of "joseph h via Groups.Io" <joe9438@...>
Date: Sunday, November 10, 2019 at 9:47 PM
To: PUNY <puny@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [puny] Rogue Riddle 997 - I made a small error

Adjusts monocle on right eye. "Harrumph". Snorts while warming backside against the large open fire. "There is a small set of volumes known as the OED, which stands for Oxford English Dictionary. It has a certain reputation.... Its judgement is "judgement -gment n." Removes monocle and polishes it with silk handkerchief from top jacket pocket. "And crisps are flat round things, while chips are elongated square cross sections of potato, which are at least1/4 inch (5mm) on a cross section side, fried; there are also slivers of potato, fried, known as French Fries --- ugh!" Picks up glass of water to put out burning coat tail. Meanwhile the jury has developed an appetite, and is out to lunch...

Joseph

On 10/11/2019 8:45 am, Cynthia MacGregor wrote:

??

Whaaaat? I wasn???t completely clear? That???s a new one on me. Just ask my wife. I never make errors in communication (or judgement)!!

??

Or spelling (like ???judgment???)

??