Re: New FAQ / Guidelines

gary hallock

As the future of YahooGroups seems bleak it does seem that moving everything to IO would make some kind of sense. We should remember that the real reason for moving a group to IO is to preserve our ability to create and access archives. If the punoff and amok groups require no archives the only reason to move them would be to gather all our folks onto the same platform. That seems practical but not really essential.

Does anyone sense a delicious irony to the fact that conversations such as this one are the very reason we initially felt the need to create these sub groups? Yet here we are now filling up our fresh new IO archive with all this non-punny chatter! Even though such sidebar conversations are rare, I think this proves a practical need for them. I really worry that we are about to drive away enthusiastic newbies like Erika with all this seemingly irrelevant non-punny chatter.

Alternate proposal... rather than figuring out who is owner/moderator of punoff and amok, why not merely create new IO groups to serve this same purpose? Lee could likely moderate all three with only a little extra sweat. ( a very bold assumption)

Even if we cease posting there, It is my understanding/assumption that all of our groups will still exist on Yahoo. If this is the case, there is no reason this very thread should not be happening on the original version of Pun Amok. I am curious to know if anyone of us has actually closed out our entire Yahoo account. I am still subscribed to quite a few other groups that do not appear to be moving.

Gary H

On Nov 7, 2019, at 1:54 AM, Cynthia MacGregor <Cynthia@...> wrote:

The listowner of L&H is Lars; I’m a moderator on the group.

I was a moderator on Pun Amok, too, but I think we can let that group go by the wayside. That was mainly for discussions about puns that were not themselves inherently punny, but as Gary has just expressed that he no longer has an aversion to such material going onto PUNY, I think there is no longer a need for the Amok group.

Without knowing for sure, I suspect Garrulous was listowner on PunOff. But as he is no longer producer of the Pun-Off itself, perhaps he wants to cede ownership of the same-named list?

Make it a splendiferous day!

Cynthia ("Cyn") MacGregor

Freelance writer/editor

www.cynthiamacgregor.com

Pass a smile along

From: PUNY <puny@groups.io> on behalf of Lee Jackson <leejackson@...>
Date: Thursday, November 7, 2019 at 12:01 AM
To: PUNY <puny@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [puny] New FAQ / Guidelines

My pleasure to keep the group going.

Who was running the PunOff group at last check? That's who I need to coordinate the formation of any subgroup with.

Speaking of subgroups, forgive my fading memory, but who was it that wanted to form Limericks_n_Haiku and PunAmok subgroups? Please get back to me ASAP so that we can coordinate these items. Thanks!

On 11/6/2019 7:13 PM, Lars Hanson wrote:

Lee,

    Many thanks for your patience, understanding, and tireless help over the decades.  You have made this all possible and kept it running for all of us.

    With regard to subgroups, there used to be a PunOff group separate from PUNY.  Should that be re-established?  If so, should the FAQ’s be reworded to reflect that separation?

On Nov 6, 2019, at 09:30, Lee Jackson <leejackson@...> wrote:

1. The info on http://www.austintexas.gov/department/o-henry-museum is rather ambiguous. It refers to the O. Henry Museum, the O. Henry and Susanna Dickinson Museums, and the Brush Square Museums, all on the same page. I don't know which one to incorporate into the FAQ/Guidelines, so I've left it at the first reference for now.

Gary, if you're out there, SPEAK UP, PLEASE.

2. Personally, I've been cool with any kind of posts concerning the O. Henry Pun-Off World Championships. Gary is the one who wanted to split off P-OWC discussions, but I never saw a need as listowner. Maybe it's time to start making subgroups, as we discussed back on Yahoo.

Again, Gary, if you're out there, SPEAK UP, PLEASE.

BTW, I used the hashtag function wrong. I should have put them into the topic line instead of into the message body. It's too late to remedy that now - it only works for the first message of the thread. C'est la guerre.

BTW Number 2 - be careful using pound signs in your subject lines for things like numbers (e.g., #40, etc.) and so on. Groups.io will interpret them as message hashtags and will index them. If you write your message wrong, there's a possibility that your thread could get auto-deleted by the system. I'd suggest reading the help article on hashtags here: https://groups.io/static/help#hashtags .

On 11/6/2019 8:05 AM, Cynthia MacGregor wrote:

Two comments:

1 – I believe the O. Henry Museum has a new name—something incorporating the Susannah Dickinson Museum or something like that. Check with Leerless Feeder.

2 – Leerless Feeder has always discouraged non-punny posts. Your FAQ says something about discussions re puns or some such. I believe this was always not welcome.

Thank you again for your tireless efforts.

Make it a splendiferous day!

Cynthia ("Cyn") MacGregor

From: PUNY <puny@groups.io> on behalf of Lee Jackson <leejackson@...>
Date: Wednesday, November 6, 2019 at 8:38 AM
To: PUNY <puny@groups.io>
Subject: [puny] New FAQ / Guidelines

With the transition to Groups.io comes a rewritten FAQ and guidelines. These are viewable at https://groups.io/g/puny/guidelines. I'd appreciate it if you'd take a moment, give the new document a gander, and see if it needs goosing anywhere.

Thanks for your time.

#PUNYFAQ
#PUNYGuidelines
--
Lee Jackson, PUNY group Administrangler
Visit the PUNY and O. Henry Museum Web Sites!