moderated Re: New FAQ / Guidelines

joseph h

It's lucky(?) you have  Brit on here to discuss pound signs... I believe in the US a hashtag is used for pound weight; however the ancient and good old pound sterling, a.k.a. GBP is a different kettle of fish  ...er, yes... thus £ is made with Alt + 0163 [possibly on the numbers pad if you have one]. Unfortunately a UK keyboard user, innocently using the caps pound sign  [numbers row above 3], returns for Americans a #, which may be why it is often used by Americans for the limping, but not down £. Now, on the Brit keyboard, the hashtag is at the end of the asdf row, thus #. what did that return for you?
Joseph

On 06/11/2019 2:30 pm, Lee Jackson wrote:

1. The info on http://www.austintexas.gov/department/o-henry-museum is rather ambiguous. It refers to the O. Henry Museum, the O. Henry and Susanna Dickinson Museums, and the Brush Square Museums, all on the same page. I don't know which one to incorporate into the FAQ/Guidelines, so I've left it at the first reference for now.

Gary, if you're out there, SPEAK UP, PLEASE.

2. Personally, I've been cool with any kind of posts concerning the O. Henry Pun-Off World Championships. Gary is the one who wanted to split off P-OWC discussions, but I never saw a need as listowner. Maybe it's time to start making subgroups, as we discussed back on Yahoo.

Again, Gary, if you're out there, SPEAK UP, PLEASE.

BTW, I used the hashtag function wrong. I should have put them into the topic line instead of into the message body. It's too late to remedy that now - it only works for the first message of the thread. C'est la guerre.

BTW Number 2 - be careful using pound signs in your subject lines for things like numbers (e.g., #40, etc.) and so on. Groups.io will interpret them as message hashtags and will index them. If you write your message wrong, there's a possibility that your thread could get auto-deleted by the system. I'd suggest reading the help article on hashtags here: https://groups.io/static/help#hashtags .

On 11/6/2019 8:05 AM, Cynthia MacGregor wrote:

Two comments:

1 – I believe the O. Henry Museum has a new name—something incorporating the Susannah Dickinson Museum or something like that. Check with Leerless Feeder.

2 – Leerless Feeder has always discouraged non-punny posts. Your FAQ says something about discussions re puns or some such. I believe this was always not welcome.

Thank you again for your tireless efforts.

Make it a splendiferous day!

Cynthia ("Cyn") MacGregor

From: PUNY <puny@groups.io> on behalf of Lee Jackson <leejackson@...>
Date: Wednesday, November 6, 2019 at 8:38 AM
To: PUNY <puny@groups.io>
Subject: [puny] New FAQ / Guidelines

With the transition to Groups.io comes a rewritten FAQ and guidelines. These are viewable at https://groups.io/g/puny/guidelines. I'd appreciate it if you'd take a moment, give the new document a gander, and see if it needs goosing anywhere.

Thanks for your time.

#PUNYFAQ
#PUNYGuidelines
--
Lee Jackson, PUNY group Administrangler
Visit the PUNY and O. Henry Museum Web Sites!