moderated Re: ADMINISTRIVIA - Transfer To Groups.io Started

gary hallock

If I am reading this message correctly it means that PUNY will actually no longer exist on Yahoo, thus anyone searching us out there will find NOTHING? Any dormant member who makes a Yahoo posting will get a “no forwarding address” message? That’s kind of impractical. Rather than trusting our legacy to a trail of stale breadcrumbs, could we not keep some sort of presence alive on Yahoo just to lure lost folks in the right direction?

Gary (Listless Feeder) Hallock
—————————————-

On Oct 20, 2019, at 3:32 PM, Lee Jackson leejackson@... [puny] wrote:

Groups.io have approved our invitation, several days ahead of expectations. I have gone ahead and initiated the actual process of transferring members, messages, photos, and files across to our new home.

Now, Groups.io did include a warning message with their e-mail to me. Here is the text:

"Yahoo Groups has been very unreliable lately. We will do our very best, but there is a good chance that we may not be able to transfer all of your messages, photos or files. We will tell you which ones we were not able to transfer. Also, the migration queue is several days long at this point. Please be patient as we work through the backlog of tranfer requests."

In other words, brace for impact. The files that they say they might not be able to transfer are currently inaccessible on Yahoo to begin with, so we might lose some. I recommend that, if some of the lost ones are yours, you keep trying to download them after the transfer. I'm not going to close the group until after Yahoo's December 14th deadline. Groups.io may give up, but you don't have to. ^_^

 - Lee Jackson, PUNY groups Administrangler

On 10/20/2019 10:44 AM, Lee Jackson leejackson@... [puny] wrote:
Latest status: Groups.io have received our new member invitation. Now
we're just waiting on them to process it. Give 'em until Saturday.

  - Lee Jackson, PUNY groups Administrangler

On 10/19/2019 2:07 PM, leejackson@... [puny] wrote:
I've upgraded puny@groups.io to a Premium account for a year, thanks to
your kind donations, and I've begun the transfer process. The next step
after upgrading to Premium was to send a new member invitation to
transfer@groups.io, which I've done.

Now, we wait for Groups.io to process the invitation. There is an
advisory posted on the page for this part of the transfer process that
reads as follows:

"Make sure you have sent an invite to your group for the user
transfer@groups.io. We will send you an email once we've received and
accepted an invite. It may take up to a week for us to process the invite."

So, it could be next Saturday before I hear anything from them. After I
do, the next step is to make them a moderator of the group so they can
begin the transfer. I'll let you know when I hear from them.

  - Lee Jackson, PUNY groups Administrangler

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)