moderated Rogue Riddle #788 - Winner Declared and Answers Revealed

Lars Hanson

All,

   Not sure where everyone has been this week, but there were only two players.  The standing remains as before:  Jim Ertner was first out of the blocks, then Kirk Miller struck with thirteen clean kills to take the lead.  No more guesses since Sunday morning.  Kirk will provide Roguew Riddle #789 next week.

    Only four riddles were not solved:  numbers 11, 12, 13, and 15.

    The answers are revealed below.

Rogue Riddle #988

Trees a Crowd

In the wake of Kirk’s inspired riddle set last week, this week’s Rogue Riddle is a collection of twenty riddles riffing on the names of trees, and each has two answers.  Each riddle should bring to mind a word puns on an unpunned answer.  For instance:

Q:  This tree sounds like a man with a breast fixation.

A:  CHEST NUT / CHESTNUT

      The riddles include a final non-arboreal pun.

    Both the punned and unpunned answers are required for full credit for answering any riddle (except for the last riddle).

    The Rogue Riddle will run until 5:00 p.m. EDT on Tuesday, 10 September 2019.  As usual, the first person to solve all the riddles will be declared the winner.  If no one has solved all the riddles by 5:00 p.m. EDT on Tuesday, the one with the most correct answers will be declared the winner and will host Rogue Riddle #989 next week.

    Now, on to the riddles….

<0><0><0><0><0><0><0><0><0><0>

1.  A tree one might long for.

      PINE / PINE

2.  A corral for donkeys might be made of this tree.

      ASS PEN / ASPEN

3.  According to this tree, if I borrow I BLANK.

     WILL  OWE / WILLOW

4.  Celebrants dance around this tree to celebrate the coming of summer.

       MAY POLE / MAPLE

5.  A pelt.

      FUR / FIR

6.  A pronoun.

      YOU / YEW

7.  This tree is generally well received.

      POPULAR / POPLAR

8.  One might be abandoned in this tree.

      LURCH / LARCH

9.  After a close call, one might invoke this tree to say one is okay.

      I’LL  LIVE / OLIVE

10.  Sight the tree?

        SEE DER TREE / CEDAR TREE

11.  A tree found on a foot, perhaps.

       BUNION / BANYAN

12.  A handy tree.

        PALM / PALM

13.  Perhaps WW I aircraft might be made from this tree.

       PLANE / PLANE

14.  This tree harbors a flying pest.

        LOCUST / LOCUST

15.  This tree aims to brew a beverage.

        TEAK  ETTLES / TEAKETTLES

16.  A happy tree.

       CHEERY / CHERRY

17.  A tree found by the seaside.

        BEECH / BEACH

18.  This tree sounds like two.

        PEAR / PAIR

19.  This tree reminds one of a famously suicidal rodent.

       LEMON / LEMMING

20.  Shakespeare’s direction to attend an annual festival in Austin.

        GET THEE TO A PUNNERY  (Hamlet, Act  3, scene i.)

    Thanks to Jim and Kirk for playing.

    Take it away, Kirk, with Rogue Riddle #789 next week.