moderated ROGUE RIDDLE #985

gary hallock

ROGUE RIDDLE #985 - “A PREPOSITION YOU CAN’T REFUTE” - Launched Sunday, August 18 @1:12pm central

In celebration of “BAD POETRY DAY” I am offering this set of riddles inverse For this game I have suppressed my usual penchant for limericks in favor of mere doggerel, as it is far easier to create and write off as “bad.” Hopefully the rhyming patterns will offer you a bit of help but for the most part, these should be fairly straightforward puns on common words. The theme here is “PREPOSITIONS.” Every BLANK can be filled with a commonly recognized preposition. Not a prepositional phrase, merely a single word. In most cases I’ve also punned on the word in the process. You may disagree, but it’s a preposition you can’t refute.

There are 10 verses but 12 required answers as some are doubled up. First player with all (or most) wins the honor of creating and hosting next week’s game. No specific deadline, but please let’s keep those guesses rolling in. You need not be a subscriber to PUNY to play and you need not host if you win.

Gary

#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%
Send all guesses, groans, gripes and grins directly to <gary@...>
#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%#%

0. (simple sample)
BLANK was bought, and then four more, loud drinking songs were sung #### AROUND
Good times we had, it wasn’t bad, but now I’m BLANK-hung #### OVER

1.
"This honey jar contains some stingers," said I, with a smirk
Those lazy fellows got a little BLANK in their work

2.
Was Jesus a word puzzle fan? The scholars can’t agree.
That he died on BLANK is known. That’s proof enough for me.

3.
Our babe was born ten years ago, the cutest kid e’er seen
But he’s grown tall and lanky now, and soon he will BLANK

4.
What sound do noisy cattle make? You may think this you know
But “moo’s” too high, and so, says I, it really should BLANK.

5.
No matter how our jack BLANK, he could not pull the plow.
So then we hitched it to the horse. Our field is furrowed now.

6.
Surf ‘n’ turf is one dish I just will not tolerate
I do not care for BLANK fish, but I think poultry’s great

7.
The pitcher tossed so many balls, Alas, the game he threw!
His fault alone the game was thrown. Also this verse is BLANK

8.
“I’ll call you soon,” her lover said, “A diamond I will bring”
For months she sat beside her phone and never got BLANK

9.
The radical went BLANK cover, though he would deny it
I think he was intending to BLANK some sort of riot

10.
I’m not BLANK bad poetry, that ain’t the guy I am
But those who write their BLANK worst, for sure deserve a slam