moderated Re: 21derful years

gary hallock

The earliest documented evidence I find in my archives of PUNY games or banter is dated July 20, 1997. On that date I hosted a game I called “SICK SHOOTERS” wherein I invited all players to submit their three best puns on a given topic. Presumably I, (or someone) was going to judge the entries and offer up a winner. As with the actual O.Henry Pun-Off, our games, rules and expectations in those early days were somewhat fluid. As a separate message I will repost this ancient document later today in hopes of triggering some post-traumatic flashbacks.

For the record, the name of the first listserv was "Prodigy.” Lee Jackson was, and still is, our "majordomo.” I believe he prefers to be called the “administrangler.”

Gary (Leerless Feeder) Hallock

================

On Apr 14, 2019, at 9:43 AM, Lars Hanson parkersan2001@... [puny] <puny@...> wrote:

Cyn,

    Yes, we were on a different listserv back then, but I don’t remember which one, either.  The shift has worked well, though.  And the list has grown significantly over the past two decades.

On Apr 14, 2019, at 09:55, Joseph Harris josephharris@... [puny] <puny@...> wrote:

Ah! I guess this is a Brit saying/song from long ago...

Chorus: I'm 21 today, 21 today
I've got the key of the door
Never been 21 before
And Pa says I can do, as I like
So shout, Hip Hip Hooray
He's a jolly good fellow
21 today.

Written and composed by Alec Kendal - 1911
Performed by Jack Pleasants (1874-1924)
Performed by Albert Whelan (1875-1962)
Joseph
=======

On 14/04/2019 2:07 pm, Cynthia MacGregor cynthia@... [puny] wrote:

What???

Cyn

==  = = = =

Hmm. 21. What door does that give us the key to?

Joseph

==========

Remember we started on a different listserv (I forget the name) before we moved to Yahoogroups

Cyn

    Has it really been that long already??!!

    Guess it has!

    Hippy bird day to all!

On Apr 14, 2019, at 06:34, Cynthia MacGregor cynthia@... [puny] <puny@...> wrote:

21derful years of outrageous puns!

Yes, the PUNY group is 21 years old today.

Does that mean the group can legally drink? Well, CHEERS!

And here's to 21 more wonderful years

Make it a splendiferous day!

Cynthia ("Cyn") MacGregor