moderated Rogue Riddle #954 - (Bingo & Answers revealed)

gary hallock

Oh, what a nice thing it is to have a wealth of players on a Rogue! In fact so many showed up for this game that I may never need to run another set of limerick riddles again. I’m sure this would please a few among you! Participating to one degree or another this week were the following 10 people, in no particular ardor.

Jim Ertner
Stan Kegel
Lars Hanson
Kirk Miller
Doug “Apartment Living” Spector
Cynthia MacGregor
Guy BenMoshe
David Wyde
Chris Gross
Bill Crider

At any rate, after three days of vigorous play, I finally rounded up a player who has rounded up all twelve of the answers I sought. The far bigger surprise is who that player is. Remember David Wyde? Yeah, I thought not. Although he has actually posted at least one Rogue in the past, he’s been dormant and lurking for quite a while now. Somehow I managed to flush him out of hiding long enough to take on my game this week and dang if he didn’t just plow right through it like a pro!

Pro or novice, David has graciously (or foolishly) consented to claim and host next weekend’s riddle, so I guess we’re in for something a bit different. I do hope everyone will give him a warm reception and a few WAGS.

Thank you for playing,

Gary Hallock

%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%

1 EIGHTY-SIXED
2 CANNED
3 REDUNDANT / RE-DONE DENT
4 FIR LOAD / FURLOUGHED
5 FIRED
6 DOWNSIZED
7 PINK SLIP
8 LOOSE HER POSITION
9 GIVEN THE AXE
10 RETIRE / RE-TIRE
11 LAID OFF
12 CUTTING JOBS

ROGUE RIDDLE #954 - GIVEN NOTICE - Posted Saturday, January 12, 2019 @ 10am central.

%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%

Inspired by the current government shutdown, this week’s riddle set is all about euphemisms for being out of work. I know it’s not a pleasant subject, but it is nevertheless rich with wordplay potential, so that’s all I needed to inspire me. Below you will find a set of 12 uncompleted sentences regarding the topic at hand. I wanted to keep the game down to an even dozen, so because bakers can’t be choosers, I’ve offered up my best one (a double) as an example to get you started.

[Editorial note: Players, please submit your guesses in the form of a worksheet. It is difficult to track & respond to words and numbers offered out-of-context.]

As is my usual ploy, I’m offering no specific deadline for entries. With the light participation we’ve lately had in these games, pretty much anyone could easily claim the kill it by nailing just a few. I rather suspect that many are failing to play for fear they might be expected to claim, but please don’t let that stop you from at least participating. We PUNY riddle creators are much happier just to confirm that someone has noticed and appreciated our offerings. The first wiling player to claim the most gets the honor of posting his/her own Rogue Riddle next weekend.

(Example: After the holidays were over, the department store Santa was given the old HEAVE-HO and the elves got the SACK.)

%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%
Please submit all guesses, gripes, groans & guffaws directly to <gary@...>
%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%*%

1. - At 43, the new company president was half the age of his predecessor. Little wonder the old guy was BLANK.
EIGHTY-SIXED
2. - When the tuna processing plant switched over to using foil packets, many of the workers were BLANK.
CANNED
3. - The apprentice at the body shop screwed up the repair of a minor fender ding so he was told to fix it or he would be made BLANK.
REDUNDANT / RE-DONE DENT
4. - After the Christmas trees were packed up for shipment in the truck, many of the nursery workers were BLANK.
FIR LOAD / FURLOUGHED
5. - After nearly kiln everyone in the shop, the incompetent potter was quickly summarily BLANK.
FIRED
6. - When sales of feather quilted comforters fell off, much of the staff had to be BLANK.
DOWNSIZED
7. - The spokes-panther for Owens-Corning company was consistently coming insulate they had to give him the BLANK.
PINK SLIP
8. - If a yoga instructor is unable to hold the proper pose, she is likely to BLANK.
LOOSE HER POSITION
9. - The advent of chainsaws brought about lots of cutbacks in the lumber industry, so many workers were BLANK.
GIVEN THE AXE
10. - Even though they continue to work, laborers at Goodyear plant are expected to BLANK daily.
RETIRE / RE-TIRE
11. - When their egg production diminishes, the older hens are BLANK.
LAID OFF
12. - Overzealous film editors working on the bio-pic about the late C.E.O of Apple were constantly BLANK.
CUTTING JOBS