Re: RR 789 - REVEALED

joseph h

On 10/11/2015 09:23, Cynthia MacGregor cynthia@... [puny] wrote:

RR 789

Standings:

Alex is the winner with 8 kills.

Chris got 5.

Bill got 4

Stan got 3.

Lars tried.

Gary was out of town and not playing.

Nobody else was heard from.

REVEAL:

Once you discern the theme—yes, there is one—it should be easier to figure out the answers.

1 – The favorites keep winning the horse races.

Chalk a lot. (Chocolate) (“Chalk” = low-odds favorites in horserace parlance)

2 – A tinned letter of the alphabet that Tony Bennet consumed.

Canned “E” singer et (or ate). (Candy cigarette)

3 – The ‘30s mobster just acquired a weapon.

New gat. (Nougat)

4 – Does that vehicle belong to the Dreyfuss author?

Car Emile.(Caramel)

5 – Dad just lies around the house all day.

Loll-y Pop.

6 – I decorated the table for the 4:00 meal by encasing the edges in gathered material

Tea ruffles. (Truffles)

7 – The pig is crying.

Sow are bawl. (Sour ball)

8 – Discount supermarket gives ssistance and support in times of stress

Aldi succor. (All-day sucker)

9 – He reminds me of an early 20th century president.

Tafty. (Taffy)

10 – A very young Judy Garland falls to the floor.

Gumm drops. (Gumdrops.) (Garland's real name = Frances Gumm)

11 – Beat Notre Dame

Lick Irish. (Licorice.) (Notre Dame = “The fighting Irish”)

Freelance writer/editor

I more or less understand the answers, but run the theme by me....