Re: Halloween Turkeys

joseph h

Moving back from the other threadlet...

Cyn,

Your cookbook sounds very practical and thoughtful. But I'd need one on vegetarian turkey leftovers...

Joseph
==========

Indeed, Joseph, we Yanks say "going cold turkey" with the same meaning.

As for the Thanksgiving turkey leftovers, may I suggest anyone facing that
problem buy a copy of STEALTH LEFTOVERS, one of my cookbooks, which offers
creative ways to utilize leftovers most especially including turkey (also
chicken, beef, pork, lamb, and also sausages and hot dogs). The publisher is
Roundtable, and you can buy it at their site, which is GreatReads.buzz. It's
my fave of my cookbooks.
Cyn

= = = = = =

It may be because the turkey is the only one not eating at
Christmas/Thanksgiving. There is also a colloquialism here [probably
states-side too] for recovering drug addicts, at the beginning of giving up,
going "cold turkey". And, frankly, one can "talk turkey". I wonder if the
usage relates to the inevitable "left-overs" that may grace the meal table
for many days. It is not long before the joy of hot roast becomes a jaded
failure, giving the shivers. And the remnants are finally thrown away.

A case of the gobbler gobbled, and the leftovers cobbled, and the eaters
hobbled to the remains.

Joseph
=======

I am not sure if the theatrical connection originated with Irving Berlin but
I believe the #2 definition must have been greatly strengthened by his line
from the popular song, Theres No Business Like Show Business.

Even with a Turkey that you know will fold

Gary

=========

A turkey???

1 Turkey: A fowl usually eaten on Thanksgiving and often on Christmas.
2 Turkey: A show that is bound to close on opening night.
3 Turkey: Three strikes in a row in bowling.

Cyn, I hadn't heard of definitions #2 and #3 above, but a few decades ago
there was another definition of a turkey: a guy whose appearance,
personality, interests, etc. were such as not to appeal to women.
Hypothetical
example: Someone lines a woman up with a blind date. The next day she
angrily says to the matchmaker: "He turned out to be a real turkey! I'll
never go out with him again."

I guess this is related to definition #2 above.

Charles
==================

:-) In this case your no2 - a failure. And, lest that too was obscure, the
Cheddar Gorge is our answer to the Grand Canyon! Also the home of the most
well known cheese - Cheddar.

I know it was all a bit thin - like something the Greeks have plenty of,
Feta whey. :-)

Joseph
=======

A turkey???

1 Turkey: A fowl usually eaten on Thanksgiving and often on Christmas.
2 Turkey: A show that is bound to close on opening night.
3 Turkey: Three strikes in a row in bowling.

Your meaning is no more clear to me than the target of the hickory farms pun
was.

Is this "Let's all gang up on Cyn and baffle her" day?

Cyn

= = = = = =

That's certainly a turkey for me too. As compensation I'm off for a Cheddar
Gorge.

Joseph
==============

Cyn,
Hickory Farms of Ohio is indeed the target of the pun. Hickory Farms is
a big seller of cheeses and beef sausages, and appear nation-wide in malls
around Christmas time. Check them out on-line.
On Oct 31, 2015 4:41 AM, "Cynthia MacGregor cynthia@cynthiamacgregor.com
[puny]" <puny@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Someone please tell me what this is a pun on.

It sounds like it could be "hickory farms of Ohio" but I never heard that
they farmed hickory in Ohio. So it must be something else. Anyone?

The answer I sought was

#### HICK REFORMS of OHIO