Re: ROGUE RIDDLE #787 (Answers revealed)

Lars Hanson

Gary,

    An excellent, fun set.  Thanks!

    Your note about not being sure that some folks got the pun is the reason I usually insist on two answers for full credit.  In many cases the pun is obvious, but in some cases less so.  Requiring both answers makes sure that a guesser has gotten the full answer.

    Again, a fun set this week.  Thanks!

====================

On Oct 28, 2015 2:22 AM, "Gary Hallock gary@... [puny]" <puny@...> wrote:

As promised I have finally posted the answer sheet below. But before we go there, just a few more tidbits of information. Chris Gross came in late with yet two more kills which puts his tally even with Stan at 17.

Of little real relevance to you but still impressive to me is the fact that this riddle had 6 active players who each eventually turned in a very respectable worksheet.

The total number of correct guesses from all players was a whopping 105. Beyond this there were several players who submitted very plausible alternate guesses. I have parenthetically incorporated a few of these into the answer sheet in case Stan ends up turning this into a table game for the next Pun-Off in Oz Tin.

Thank you all for a great tern-out and a fun few days of interaction. Watch for Feta Whey to post a similarly intriguing Rogue next week. Invite your friends!

Harpie Owl-oween,

Gary Hallock

* * * * * * * * THE LONG-AWAITED ROGUE RIDDLE #787 ANSWER SHEET * * * * * * * * *

1. - Black on the outside but white in the middle.
#### ORIOLE / OREO  - (Several suggested this could be a penguin but who really knows what they look like on the inside?

2. - Digital missive sent from one cow to another.
#### EMU / EMOO (This was a “gimme” designed to sucker in people who might otherwise not have played)

3. - What residents of the Emerald City do on their knees in church.
#### OSPREY / OZ PRAY (Simple if you know the theme.)

4. - A world famous soccer player is likely still able.
#### PELICAN / PELE CAN - (Side note: He just celebrated his 75th birthday!)

5. - Shorthand term for the annual gathering of fans of the feathered friends.
#### FALCON / FOWL CON - (I think several people guessed this one correctly without really understanding the full pun I was intending)

6. - A naked one might make the raven mad.
#### STORK / STARK - (I thought this one would be simple but it stumped most people longer than others.) (Jaybird was suggested by a few but that’s not nearly naked enough.)

7. - Although not flightless, it sounds like this one already beat a hasty retreat on foot.
#### WREN / RAN - (Another tricky one but most ended up getting it eventually) (ROAD RUNNER was offered as a nearly acceptable alternate)

8. - Even in the second story, this one flies higher than the attic is.
#### FINCH - (This one was deceptive in that the pun was actually in the set-up and not the answer) (Several alternates worthy of mention were ROO(F)STER, CHIMNEY SWALLOW,

9. - What the angry mob might have to do to the grifter if the feathers don’t stick the first time.
#### PTARMIGAN / TAR ‘IM AGAIN - (Possibly the most obscure bird of this flock but most did guess it)

10. - Technical term for her Daddy taking the T-bird away.
#### CARDINAL / CAR DENIAL - (This one threw nearly everyone at first but most came around) (Someone suggested “Ground Hen, Grouse or Tanager/teenager”)

11. - What the vain bald man puts before going out.
#### HERON / HAIR ON - (This one was tougher than it should have been, possibly because the word “on” was missing from the set-up because it needed to be in the answer) (Potential alternates suggested were HARRIER and “WIG ON / WIGEON.”)

12. - Just as it turned green, the traffic signal caught fire.
#### FLAMINGO / FLAMIN’ GO - (This one didn’t stop many people for long)

13. - What residents of the Emerald City do in the middle of the 7th inning.
#### OSTRICH / OZ STRETCH (Another bit of low-hanging fruit)

14. - Can be easily spotted in a hookah lounge.
#### PUFFIN / PUFFIN’ - (This was surprisingly difficult for several people. A reasonable alternate offered by some was “PIPER”)

15. - Likely to be found in Pinocchio’s pants.
#### WOODCOCK, PEACOCK or WOODPECKER (Nobody hesitated to submit one or more of these alternates)

16. - What it was you never answered even though I rang you up several times.
#### MACAW / MY CALL (I think this was a tough one because it was so awkwardly worded.)

17. - The reason nobody’s going to Hungary for Thanksgiving.
#### TURKEY (This one was another free bird)

18. - If the union doesn't work, we'll have only this to go on.
#### SHRIKE / STRIKE (I thought it was a schtretch but most people worked it out.)

19. - This could be used instead of an emory bird.
#### SANDPIPER / SANDPAPER - (I stole this gag from Brian Oakley)

20. - This originates on the mound but usually ends up at home.
#### PIGEON / PITCHIN’ - (Some suggested this could also be a SHRIKE)

================
On Oct 27, 2015, at 2:12 PM, Gary Hallock gary@... [puny] <puny@...> wrote:

Over nightingale several players took terns burning the midnight oriole into the kiwi hours. I awoke to a fresh stack this mourning dove new gooses from nearly everyone. From stork to finch this was aviary close contest. At first I thought Lars wood thrush through the entire list but to migrate surprise he was overtaken by a later rival who came on eagle-ly strong. When the ducks settled, Feta Whey had reached the gull first and claimed the prize, as sometimes the whippoorwill. I geese I canada post the answer sheet until this evening but meanwhile you can take a gander at the latest tallies below...

Feta W. - 20 Kills
Lars H. - 20 kills
Kirk M. - 18 kills
Stan K. - 17 kills
Nivi E. - 15 kills (earlier reported erroneously as 18)
Chris G. - 15 kills
Bill C. - 0 guesses but encouraging words.

=============
On Oct 27, 2015, at 12:56 AM, Gary Hallock gary@... [puny] wrote:

The past 6 hours have seen a few new players enter the game and some more surging from the original players.

I have updated the clue page below by adding in letter counts. (These letter counts are for the actual unpunned bird name - not the punned version.)

Below are the current standings…

Nivi E. - 18 kills
Lars H. - 18 kills
Kirk M. - 15 kills
Stan K. - 15 kills
Feta W. - 15 Kills
Chris G. - 5 guesses but zero kills
Bill C. - 0 guesses but encouraging words.
=================

On Oct 26, 2015, at 6:40 PM, Gary Hallock gary@... [puny] <puny@...> wrote:

Good evening friends,

All riddles have now been answered by at least one player but no one player has yet answered more than 75%. This is the threshold most riddle writers hope to achieve, because it means that we've not created something that is/was absurdly difficult.

With the exception of Lars (who is apparently stalled out and awaiting more clues) there has been some surging on all fronts today.

The new standings look like this...

Lars H. - 15 kills
Kirk M. - 15 kills
Nivi E. - 11 kills
Stan K. - 11 kills
Feta W. - 2 wise cracks

 # # # # CLUES BELOW # # # #

First of all, I'm going to toss a bone to all of my non-players by letting you in on the theme of this Rogue. ---- BIRDS!!! The correct answer to every one of these conundrums will be a single word name of a bird species or sub-species. NONE of the birds are very obscure and none of the answers ends in "bird."

Second of all, I'm hereby revealing the first letter of each of the bird names required. For those of you who are shopping for answers from an alphabetical listing of bird names may find this helpful.

1. - O (6 letters)
2. - E (3 letters)
3. - O (6 letters)
4. - P (7 letters)
5. - F (6 letters)
6. - S (5 letters)
7. - W (4 letters)
8. - F (5 letters)
9. - P (9 letters)
10. - C (8 letters)
11. - H (5 letters)
12. - F (8 letters)
13. - O (7 letters)
14. - P (6 letters)
15. - W (8 letters or 10 letters)
16. - M (5 letters)
17. - T (6 letters)
18. - S (6 letters)
19. - S (9 letters)
20. - P  (6 letters)

Hopefully the above list will be helpful to those of you who have become stalled out. Overnight I will offer letter counts.

Gary Hallock

===================

On Oct 26, 2015, at 10:23 AM, Gary Hallock gary@... [puny] wrote:

A bit of late night/ early morning activity leaves the current standings looking like this. I have posted private clues to some players but will offer something to the general public soon. I didn’t mention it earlier but the deadline for all worksheets will be Tuesday 10pm central.

Lars H. - 15 kills
Kirk M. - 12 kills
Nivi E. - 9 kills
Stan K. - 9 kills

Gary Hallock

=============

On Oct 25, 2015, at 10:44 PM, Gary Hallock <gary@...> wrote:

No clues tonight but I did promise an update. After 12 hours in play the current Rogue standings are as follows…

Lars H. - 15 kills
Nivi E. - 9 kills
Stan K. - 6 kills
Kirk M. - 5 kills

Much to my surprise, the only riddle in the bunch that remains unmolested by any player is #5.

Gary Hallock

ROGUE RIDDLE #787 (Launched October 25, 2015 @10am Central Time)

Send all groans, gripes, grins and guesses directly to Gary Hallock <gary@...>

I know everyone was probably expecting yet another of my tedious limerick-based riddles but I’m falling in line this time with what seems to be the more popular format, a style I call the "crossword clues” type riddle. These are enigmatically worded prompts without BLANKS to fill-in. Much more teasing to the brain.

Below you will find 20 clues which will hopefully lead you to 20 single-work answers. These riddles are all on a theme which I think is fairly transparent. Solving even one of them will likely allow you do discover what it is, so I’ll hold off advertising it for now.

I am launching earlier than I ordinarily would because I expect to be AFK for a few hours this afternoon. I hope to be able to field your guesses and offer responses through most of the day. If needed I may offer letter counts or other hints in the evening.