=======================
From: Cynthia MacGregor cynthia@... [puny]
Sent: ‎Tuesday‎, ‎January‎ ‎13‎, ‎2015 ‎3‎:‎26‎ ‎PM
To: Cynthia MacGregor cynthia@... [puny]

Joseph,

Cyn uses a Macintosh, as do I. There is no number pad on a Macintosh keyboard.

A simple trace through the system reveals the following, as I noted:

Cyn prepared Clue Set #1 in Word (according to Cyn), copied the text into an e-mail, then transmitted the e-mail (again according to Cyn).
Cyn's e-mail was transmitted and received correctly at YahooGroups, as evidenced by the fact that her text is there and complete at the yahooGroup[s web site:

Note that her text is displayed on YahooGroups as she typed it, including the two extra carriage returns following riddles #4 and #8 and single extra carriage returns following the rest of the riddles.
Cyn's clues were received correctly by me (using Gmail and received on a Macintosh computer), including the two extra carriage returns preceding the letter counts for riddles #4 and #8 and the single extra carriage return following the other riddles.
Now, given the sequence above, it seems quite clear that Cyn in fact sent a correct outgoing e-mail. There was nothing she had done incorrectly when sending the e-mail. This is clearly evidenced by the fact that the e-mail was received correctly at yahooGroups.

YahooGroups in turn transmitted Cyn's e-mail correctly, as evidenced by the fact that the copy I received was intact and correct.

Given the above, this would seem to indicate that the fault lies somewhere downstream of YahooGroups, which eliminates Cyn entirely as a possible cause. That then leaves the list of possible causes I sent to you as the possible sources of the problem. Of these, the internet service provider (ISP) is by far the least likely possible cause. That would seem to leave as likely causes the e-mail applications of those who received the message with problems as the most likely source of the problems. This could be sure to quirks in the e-mail applications or due to application settings. I cannot tell which from here.

So:

Cyn hit no bad keys nor erred in any other way in transmitting her e-mail.
YahooGroups erred in no way in retransmitting her e-mail.
The e-mail was received correctly as originally sent by at least one recipient (me).
Given the above facts, it is not at all clear to me what other cause one might propose.

P.s.: As a nuclear engineer and later as a high-speed digital satellite communications engineer, I have spent a lifetime troubleshooting. (Would that were not so.) While I by no means claim to be perfect at troubleshooting, in my experience (several decades), when one has traced through a process, any faults in that process generally occur downstream from the last points at which the process functioned properly.

======================================

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 10:07 PM, josephHarris joe9438@... [puny] <puny@...> wrote:

Lars,

There can be errors in so many ways that they are often mysteries. The blame can lie with distribution servers, but that would mean a server close to origination in this case. It can be the agent: I use Eudora OSE [not Eudora] currently, but I'll bet no one else on PUNY or L&H does; but it can be a difference in reading or composing code. Since the last would have shown up before now - and regularly - it is not that.

Cyn is not an accountant, so she will not have used the number pad, with any oddities that may introduce.
Since the email appeared fully for some recipients, and with absent info in others, one assumes some odd, but common, feature in those meeting oddities. I think GH had the full info using one agent, and bits missing with another. The points more to the agent. Eudora OSE is based on Thunderbird - the Opera agent - [though with some poor busy girl named Penelope].

So I refer back to Cyn accidentally hitting another key when typing some numbers, and that affecting the reading of some base coding.

Joseph [P.S. I claim no expertise, but have simply been monitoring a list with some very knowledgeable problem solvers.]

Joseph,

Cyn transmitted the full clue #1 correctly. This is known because it can be seen on the PUNY section at YahooGroups.

YahooGroups in turn retransmitted Cyn's e-mail correctly. This is known because at least one of us received it in full and correctly.

Therefore that leaves only certain possibilities, it seems to.me:

* ISP error in transmission to a user; or

* Receiving user e-mail service errors; or

* Receiving user e-mail application problems; or

* Receiving user computer problems (highly unlikely in this case as two different computers in two different locales are involved.).

Have you any other possibilities?

On Jan 12, 2015 6:23 PM, "josephHarris joe9438@... [puny]" <puny@...> wrote:

No so fast, Moriarti! I have nothing whatsoever to do with Gmail. I am on a Windows7 Medion desktop, and I also have still not seen the numbers - yet evreything else -signature and so on - seem to be there. Perhaps this one turn has been axed. Perhaps Cyn is accidentally touching another key, while typing the numbers, which leads to strange interpretations?

Joseph
========
Cyn,

Good information. That tells me the ellipsis icon is part of Gmail.

This appears to be an e-mail application problem.

Thanks.

================================

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 1:15 PM, Cynthia MacGregor cynthia@... [puny] <puny@...> wrote:

Lars -

I went back and looked at my copy. There was no ellipsis to click on, and clicking on the blank spaces where the letter count should have been yielded nothing either.

I see now that my copy, too, is lacking the letter count for #4.

To co-opt another famous quotation, this time from literature rather than B'way, "curioser and curioser."

Cyn

Cyn,

Yes, I am on a MacBook Pro 17-inch laptop running OS X version 10.9.5 on a 2.66-GHz Intel Core i7 chip.

Check your e-mail again. Sometimes the very end of a lengthy message sent in reply to an earlier message is truncated. But, if one sees no signature, simply clicking on the three-dot (ellipsis) icon at the end of the text brings the rest of the message into view.

I did not have to do that in order to read your message, however. And the letter count for #4 certainly was present in my received message, as was the letter count for #8.

Here is the link to the PUNY Group on YahooGroups:

As you can see from the linked message, the original transmission included all the letter counts, just as the copy of your e-mail I received from PUNY was complete.

Not sure why the last letter count was truncated on your copy, but it may have occurred as a result of the line feed (carriage return) between the clue for #8 and the letter count for #8. If so, clicking on the ellipsis icon likely will reveal the "missing" text.

As for #4, it was not missing, neither in the e-mail I received nor on the PUNY site at YahooGroups.

===================================

! On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 12:42 PM, Cynthia MacGregor cynthia@... [puny] <puny@...> wrote:

Lars hon -

Thank you, but oddly enough, when I checked # 8 on my received copy (I didn't check # 4), my copy, too, was missing the letter count for # 8.

So actually it isn't just Gary's computer.

Gary and I are both on Macs, but I believe you are too, and yours is right, so that doesn't seem to be the answer either.

As the song says, "Is a puzzlement."

Cheers -

www.cynthiamacgregor.com

Pass a smile along

From: PUNY <PUNY@...>
Date: Monday, January 12, 2015 12:34 PM

To: PUNY <PUNY@...>
Subject: Re: [puny] missing letter count for # 8

Cyn,

The letter count for #4 was there in my copy of the message. It was just separated by two line feeds (carriage returns) instead of one, as with the other seven riddles.

Not sure why Gary is experiencing problems, but both the e-mail received by me and the postings shown at the YahooGroups web site for PUNY show that you had sent the letter counts out correctly.

Again, it still appears the problem is onGary's end somehow, whether on his computer or because of his internet service provider (ISP) is unclear.

Don't get! It appears you are doing things correctly.

================================

On Mon, Jan 12, 2015 at 10:40 AM, Cynthia MacGregor cynthia@... [puny] <puny@...> wrote:

Puzzling indeed, and no, there was NOTHING I did differently for those two. The entire original riddle was composed in Word, with no font changes or other changes that could possibly account for the issue. It was then cut-and-pasted into an email blank. The clue sheet then was created by taking the email document and typing the letter counts into it--again, with NO font changes or other changes that could possibly account for the issue.

How totally bizarre!

www.cynthiamacgregor.com

Pass a smile along

From: PUNY <PUNY@...>
Date: Monday, January 12, 2015 10:34 AM
To: PUNY <PUNY@...>

This is so very strange! This one came through blank as well. Apparently there is something different about the text you’ve entered for these two letter counts. Thinking it may be an issue with transparent font I tried selecting the text and changing the colors but that didn’t yield any missing info. Then I did a cut’n’paste of the blank space and transplanted it into a different document and now it shows up. Whatever the case, I’ve already solved that riddle so it’s of no further concern to me. Still very puzzling though.

GH

On Jan 12, 2015, at 9:25 AM, Cynthia MacGregor cynthia@... [puny] <puny@...> wrote:

Since GH says # 4 was truncated also, here it is again:

4 – Talkative American icon loves to draw aimlessly

(5) (6)

Apparently not uncommon for things to be clipped from the end of an e-mail. For what it’s worth there was also no letter count on #4 and that text was mid-message.

GH

On Jan 12, 2015, at 9:10 AM, Lars Hanson parkersan2001@... [puny] <puny@...> wrote:

Cyn,

Got it the first time.

Sounds as though the unintended elision may be a Texas problem. ;-)

====================

On Jan 12, 2015 9:50 AM, "Cynthia MacGregor cynthia@... [puny]" <puny@...> wrote:

GH has alerted me to the fact that the letter count is missing for # 8 on the clue sheet I posted this morning.

It IS on the sent copy--I checked and it's there--so it must be some weird Yahoo trick.

Here it is again…and ! I hope Yahoo doesn't truncate it again this time:

8 - The clergyperson’s fruit has strange appendages growing from it

Freelance writer/editor

www.cynthiamacgregor.com

gary@...

Gary Hallock