Re: FAST Riddle #31 - RETIRED

Stan Kegel

Lars,

First, Jim is correct. When a riddle is retired without a BINGO, the next riddle is the same number with an -A after it and if that one is retired with a -B which did a occur earlier this year. Thus the replacement should be titled FAST Riddle #31-A.

Second, I agree with Charles 100%. This is probably the most esoteric or obscure riddle we’ve ever had.

My criteria for deciding if an answer is obscure or not: Is there any way that someone not knowing the answer can reasonably find the answer by searching common sources using the information given. If not, I feel it should not be used in the F- Riddles.

This is the best example I have ever seen of what I would call an obscure answer require ding specialized knowledge to answer. I spent an unsuccessful period searching maps of Scotland looking for any location that had speed or fast or slow or similar word that imply speed and found none,

When you gave your give-away clue, I returned to the maps and looked for a place in Scotland with lane in its name again unsuccessfully.

After you gave the answer which was a wee bit harder than you thought, I looked in the index of each of the atlases where a list of all locations printed on the maps with the page and location of the entry and Faslane was in none of them.

I then went on Wikipedia and typed in Faskane. I was taken to a site entitled "HMNB Clyde" where it was stated that the "Clyde" navel base was large and encompassed a number of separate sites, the two biggest of which were Faslane which is the home base of Britain’s nuclear submarines and Coulport which is the home base of their non-nuclear submarines.

As you and Jim point out, this is a riddle that Jim would have answered immediately as he visited the site last year. To call your clues "Giveaway", and in retiring the riddle to say the riddle was a way bit harder than you thought, I feel is condescending and objectionable to all of us who tried to find the answer. If you really wanted to have any of us other than Jim answer the riddle, one of the clues should have referred to "submarines" or "nuclear" or "naval base' at least. Looking up any of these clues would have given us a chance to find Faslane.

I hope FAST Riddle # 31-A is not only on topic but is also in the spirit of the F- rules being easy to find with reasonable research of references on the web or available at home.

Stan

===================================

On Aug 29, 2014, at 7:26 AM, Lars Hanson parkersan2001@... [puny] <puny@...> wrote:

Jim,

    Indeed!

    Fangs for the support.  Maybe a set of windshield vipers might have cleared things a bit.

    If Stan prefers a different riddle number, he can tell me.

    Meanwhile, I will just snake off for a nice weekend, but not weakened by the flak on this one.  I do not intend to asp for forgiveness, nor let the matter be a constrictor for future efforts.  Anaconda way there is another benefit, as such incidents merely serve as reminders of what others may consider to be common knowledge.

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 7:02 AM, <jde31459@...> wrote:
Lars,

As one poisonous snake said to another, “You can’t venom all.”

BTW, I think Stan will want you to number the next FAST riddle #31-A.

Jim