FAST Riddle #31 - RETIRED

James Ertner

Bummer. We just got home from a day-long excursion and I finally checked my e-mail backlog. Too bad this riddle was retired, since my wife and I were actually at Faslane during our trip to the U.K. last September, so I would’ve nailed this one before any clues!

C’est la vie. Okay, “la vie.”

Jim
============================
 All,

    Och, it appears this one was a wee bit tougher than anticipated, unfortunately.  Doug and Alex were the only ones playing.  I thought Jim would catch this one for sure, but apparently he did not.

    I am retiring FAST #31, and will provide FAST #32 on Tuesday morning.

    The answer to FAST #31?

     The driver, Clyde, had made the mistake of shifting to the FASLANE (FAST LANE), and so wound up in that bay in Gareloch in bonnie Scotland.

    Faslane is the site of HM Naval Base Clyde, in Scotland.  It was the home base for U.S. ballistic missile submarines (SSBN's), and now is the home bases for British Vanguard class SSBN's.

    FAST #32 also will follow the theme.  Look for it Tuesday morning.

    Most guesses repeatedly missed the pony that this riddle was back on theme.

    Nevertheless, there were some fun guesses along the way, however:

    From Doug:

He didn't loch left

    From Alex:

He was in firth gear

Life in the firth lane

    Thanks for playing.

===================================

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 7:04 PM, Lars Hanson <parkersan2001@...> wrote:
All,

    This one seems to be giving people a harder time than anticipated.

    Herewith Clue #3.

=============

Clue #3:

    The answer puns on a place name.

    Letter counts:  7 / 4, 4

    The wording of clue #2 was quite specifically chosen.

    The riddle is on theme.

=============

============================

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 6:08 PM, Lars Hanson <parkersan2001@...> wrote:
All,

    Doug and Alex have each had some great guesses -- wish I had been so imaginative!

    Now on to the next clue:

=============

(Another Giveaway) Clue #2:

    When Clyde surfaced from his submerged vehicle, he found himself in the vanguard of a bunch of others who also had arrived at the same place for the same reason.

    Remember:  This riddle is on theme, not off it.

=============

======================================

On Thu, Aug 28, 2014 at 4:16 PM, Lars Hanson <parkersan2001@...> wrote:
All,

    So far only one player, Doug, who had an ingenious guess, but was wide of the mark.

    So, herewith Clue #1 (now that I am back from my afternoon commitments):

=============

(Giveaway) Clue #1:

    As noted when FAST #31 was sent out, this riddle os on theme.

    What is a division on a highway called?

=============

All,

    Chris Gross "killed" FAST #30, but is unable to post.

    Lest we be shod for delay of game, herewith the back-on-track (and theme) FAST Riddle #31.

    The driver was quite confused as he clambered quickly out of his sinking car.  All he had done while driving in the American Midwest was to merge onto the highway, then shift from the right-hand side of the highway to the left.  No sooner did he get to the left on the highway than he suddenly found himself in the waters of an inlet in Scotland.

    Why?

    Aye, when ye ken th' answer, hie ye wi' it here:

parkersan2001@...

    Mind, dinna ye jus' hit Reply lest ye be scotched by Cyn.